Peavey 5150 II and Modern metal tone

• Thread starter Hyacinth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Alright, I picked up a set of aftermaths and put them in my DC800. I've got an MXR Super Comp and an MXR SmartGate. I'm not sure where to put the gate, though. Right now it's DC800->Super Comp->SmartGate->Maxon OD808->5150. It's pretty noisy right now, far from what I'd call tight. I've also got another SmartGate on the way, maybe for putting in the effects loop of the amp to get things ultra tight.

Anyone have any insight on how the order of the pedals should be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Put your noise gate last. Having your od808 after it completely defeats thee purpose of the gate as it has no effect on it. Also be mindful of what settings you're using for the Maxon OD. Adding gain from that pedal will typically add considerable noise. Aim for no gain and volume between half and full. Shape tone to your liking.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I have the OD set up as a boost (Gain 0 Level 10 Tone Mid). I also have a hiss issue. I can hear a slight hiss in my tone that I hate but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Also, should the od come before the compressor, or should the compressor come first in the chain?

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
Maxon od808 worked wonders on my marshall to give me a more modern tone. Good choice

WarMachine

Reaction score
I would think your compressor comes in either at the end before your guitar or between your OD and noise gate. Experiment with those dude. As stated earlier, if you have your OD before your gate you defeat the purpose, run it after the gate and you'll be good to go :agreed:

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I have the OD set up as a boost (Gain 0 Level 10 Tone Mid). I also have a hiss issue. I can hear a slight hiss in my tone that I hate but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

I have a 6505 and threw a noise gate in the effects loop to get rid of the hiss. I used to play mine with the volume around 3.5 and the feedback was so gnarly that I ended up putting it back in front of the amp to get rid of it, but the hiss came back.

I've seen this posted a lot in regards to the feedback/hiss issue....
6Nxuu.gif

Video evidence: (not my videos)

I tried doing the same thing, but did not end up with the same results. I was using some effects pedals (EHX Cathedral, Boss overdrive, etc) all wired up using a single one-spot power supply and am pretty sure the noise from the lights or electricity in the jam room was being picked up by it making it hum so you may experience better results. Good luck!

Last edited:

refusetofall87

Reaction score
Tubes will play a HUGE part in your tone. I have a 5150 signature head and I use jj power tubes and tungsul (I think the spelling is wrong, sorry) preamp tubes. To better help you get to your ideal metal tone, what kind of guitar are you using, what tuning are you in and what kind of effects (either rack or pedals).

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I would think your compressor comes in either at the end before your guitar or between your OD and noise gate. Experiment with those dude. As stated earlier, if you have your OD before your gate you defeat the purpose, run it after the gate and you'll be good to go :agreed:
The other guy said having the OD after the gate is defeating the purpose. Typo maybe?

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Right now, this is my rig. DC800 in Drop E tuning. I'm going for that percussive metal sound similar to Periphery's tone. The signal chain is:

DC800 with BKP Aftermaths->Maxon OD 808 (As a boost)->MXR Super Comp->MXR SmartGate->Peavey 5150 with another MXR SmartGate in the FX Loop)->Basson B412bk cab with Eminence Legends.

I'm not sure about the Basson Cab, but from what I've read the cab can make a huge difference in tone, too.

I have an Eminence Governor and Eminenece Man O War lying around, maybe I could buy a closed-back 2x12 speaker enclosure. Anyone have an other suggestions?

refusetofall87

Reaction score
Right now, this is my rig. DC800 in Drop E tuning. I'm going for that percussive metal sound similar to Periphery's tone. The signal chain is:

DC800 with BKP Aftermaths->Maxon OD 808 (As a boost)->MXR Super Comp->MXR SmartGate->Peavey 5150 with another MXR SmartGate in the FX Loop)->Basson B412bk cab with Eminence Legends.

I'm not sure about the Basson Cab, but from what I've read the cab can make a huge difference in tone, too.

I have an Eminence Governor and Eminenece Man O War lying around, maybe I could buy a closed-back 2x12 speaker enclosure. Anyone have an other suggestions?
If you want to get that clear, heavy distortion sound, my suggestion is to try:

Pre gain: between 5 or 6
Low: 10
Mid: 8
High: 6
Resonance: 5 1/2
Presence: 5

The biggest part of getting that clear, heavy tone for lower tunings is getting your midrange right and making sure that your resonance doesn't exceed 6 because it takes away from the clarity of the distortion. Also, try an overdrive pedal, it will add depth to your distortion tone. If that doesnt work, i would check your power and preamp tubes.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Also, there's a fizz that I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried a slew of settings on my Smart Gate in the FX loop of my 5150 and it still can't seem to tame the fizz that's there, robbing me of clarity and it's really frustrating.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned 8 strings and own a 5150.

For a djenty Periphery tone, your boost and everything is great; I got a good tone for that with just a boost and gate.

The trick is to turn your gain down. Way down. Like 1 or 1.5 on the lead channel.

Try;

Gain: 1-1.5
Bass: 3-4
Mids; 6-7
Treble: 5-6
Depth and Presence to taste; I like them more or less around noon.

Give that a go and see if it works for you :)

If you like Tesseract's tone, they use 5150IIs on the crunch channel. I'm not sure what their settings are, but it can't hurt to try messing around on there, too :yesway:

If your Presence is kinda high, turning that down could help with the fizz, but it's probably the fact that the poweramp isn't working hard enough. Most 5150s I've played/heard don't really sound "good" until the Post Gain's around 3, which is hella loud. My suggestion is turn it as loud as you reasonably can where you are and see if that seems to help at all. If not, it could be the tubes, or you might just not dig the 5150 sound; everyone's different :)

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I've owned 8 strings and own a 5150.

For a djenty Periphery tone, your boost and everything is great; I got a good tone for that with just a boost and gate.

The trick is to turn your gain down. Way down. Like 1 or 1.5 on the lead channel.

Try;

Gain: 1-1.5
Bass: 3-4
Mids; 6-7
Treble: 5-6
Depth and Presence to taste; I like them more or less around noon.

Give that a go and see if it works for you :)

If you like Tesseract's tone, they use 5150IIs on the crunch channel. I'm not sure what their settings are, but it can't hurt to try messing around on there, too :yesway:

If your Presence is kinda high, turning that down could help with the fizz, but it's probably the fact that the poweramp isn't working hard enough. Most 5150s I've played/heard don't really sound "good" until the Post Gain's around 3, which is hella loud. My suggestion is turn it as loud as you reasonably can where you are and see if that seems to help at all. If not, it could be the tubes, or you might just not dig the 5150 sound; everyone's different :)
When I turned it up to around 3-3.5 the fizz started to be less noticeable, but it was pretty damn loud, and the tone sounded harsh. The harshness could have just been my proximity to the amp, though. I was less than two feet away. What's another amp I could look into in my price range that would get a better "djenty" tone? That word sucks, but it's the easiest way to describe it. My price range is pretty much what I could sell the 5150 for which is probably like $500-$600

refusetofall87

Reaction score
I would agree with philligan, you could try to turn to your pre gain down to 1-1.5 and use your gain booster. The only thing i found to be a set back with turning your pre gain down is that your amp wont be as loud as it should be. Try everything, im sure you'll find something that works for you.

refusetofall87

Reaction score
When I turned it up to around 3-3.5 the fizz started to be less noticeable, but it was pretty damn loud, and the tone sounded harsh. The harshness could have just been my proximity to the amp, though. I was less than two feet away. What's another amp I could look into in my price range that would get a better "djenty" tone? That word sucks, but it's the easiest way to describe it. My price range is pretty much what I could sell the 5150 for which is probably like $500-$600

Question for you... when you play through the amp by itself (no effects pedals or rackmounts) does it still fizz?

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
Question for you... when you play through the amp by itself (no effects pedals or rackmounts) does it still fizz?
Yeah, it still sounds fizzy when plugged directly into the amp. Without the OD808 to boost it, it sounds kind of lifeless, too.

Latest posts

')