Peavey 5150 II for a Engl Powerball

• Thread starter nosgulstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nosgulstic

Reaction score
Would this be a good trade? because i have the opportunity to trade my peavey 5150 halfstack for a powerball head. I like the tone of the 5150 but it gets kinda old pretty fast and it sounds pretty dull unless i boost it with a maxon od 808. Does the powerball sound similar to the 5150 or completely different?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
PB is very SS sounding IMO and many others so that can be good or bad depending on what you personally like.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
The Powerball seems to be the least-desirable Engl to a lot of people. The complaints are it being fizzy, compressed sounding...

I'd stick with the 5150, but maybe I'm biased because I love the damn things.

Pewtershmit

Reaction score
the people who complain about the powerball being too fizzy played it through the wrong cab.

I've got one here going through a engl oversized with greenbacks and it sounds amazing.

imo powerball smokes the 5150 in every category.

nosgulstic

Reaction score
the only reason im kinda leaning towards it is because i got the 5150 halfstack for 550 so by trading it, id actually be making more than triple which i can trade later on for a more organic sounding amp. and i really dont want a super hi gain tone like pantera more like jeff loomis and midrangy.

nosgulstic

Reaction score
yea im gonna check it out this weekend but i think it would be a little awkward if i take my half stack and decide i dont like. The guy sent me a picture of the powerball and he already has 3 peavey 5150's

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I would personally do it. Its not very often you get to do the whole GAS thing, and come out in black/green/whatever term you use for more money.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Do it. I'm sure you won't regret it. Just make sure you play the PB through a good cab and make sure you take the time to learn ow to dial it in. Also, make sure it on the "open" mode and not the "focused", because then it will sound too compressed/fizzy/scooped IMO. I personally love the way the Powerball sounds. I don't have one but I have seen many bands using them live and they all had great tones that cut though! :hbang:

Deaths Madrigal

The Soulcollector
Reaction score
It really depends on what kind of sound your going for, the Powerball can definatly be hit or miss with people, but so can any other amp. Its all personal preference, check out some soundclips of the PB before you make your decision. www.rocksolidamps.com has great audio clips of all Engl amps. I own a Powerball and i wouldnt trade it for any other amp period, except the ENGL SE of course :agreed:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
if you have two 5150s then why not get the Powerball? then you will have a 5150 and a Powerball :)

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the Powerball, so I personally wouldn't do it. However, if you are trying it out, no-one can tell you if you can do it besides yourself really. It aint for us to decide :)

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
with the amount of people that have had bad experiences with the Powerball I'm wondering if it's like the 6505 in that if you get a good one it's a monster but if you get a bad one it's horrible, because I have heard awesome tones from a Powerball :scratch:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
with the amount of people that have had bad experiences with the Powerball I'm wondering if it's like the 6505 in that if you get a good one it's a monster but if you get a bad one it's horrible, because I have heard awesome tones from a Powerball :scratch:

its a strange amp the Powerball - our old second guitarist had this amp, and while i really like its tone in our band context, i absolutely HATED to play this thing by myself - my old valvestate felt more "natural" to play than this thing.

')