Peavey 5150 II for a Engl Powerball

• Thread starter nosgulstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
its a strange amp the Powerball - our old second guitarist had this amp, and while i really like its tone in our band context, i absolutely HATED to play this thing by myself - my old valvestate felt more "natural" to play than this thing.

yeah I've heard a lot of people say that, but I've used it for both recording and live and it sounded really good :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboy7816

Drumitarist
Reaction score
its a strange amp the Powerball - our old second guitarist had this amp, and while i really like its tone in our band context, i absolutely HATED to play this thing by myself - my old valvestate felt more "natural" to play than this thing.

Funny enough.. I have the exact opposite feeling for the powerball and my Engl SE.. it sounded AWESOME recorded/playing by myself but once you bring in the other layers (drums, keyboard, bass, other guitar, etc) they just get drowned out.. though I know my Mesa cab with V30s that I had at that time didn't help either.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd do it, could always sell it and make your money back and more, and get another 5150.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
Would this be a good trade? because i have the opportunity to trade my peavey 5150 halfstack for a powerball head. I like the tone of the 5150 but it gets kinda old pretty fast and it sounds pretty dull unless i boost it with a maxon od 808. Does the powerball sound similar to the 5150 or completely different?

i prolly wouldnt do it man. if your 5150 sounds dull you might just wanna try it through a different cab. to me the 5150 cabs dont bring out the best in the 5150s at all unless youre goin for EVH type tones.

Natron808

Reaction score
I'm curious if the people who think the Powerball is too "solid state" playing are simply being too aggressive with the noise gate on it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
wait.

so you like the sound of the 6505 boosted, and you're considering trading the whole halfstack for a head.

... why not just :idea: run the 6505 boosted - it's what most metal players do, and you said you like the sound of it.

I tried the powerball, was left wanting, plugged back into my JSX and was good to go again. Oddly enough, the way both amps were set up, the JSX had more "djent" :lol:

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
my old guitarist used a powerball through an orange cab and he never cut through. I found it waaay too hard to get a useable sound out of.
although its clean channel is nice!

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
i've realized that the hate over the Pball is because everyone thinks every ENGL should be played through Orange cabs, which are tipically loaded with V30s (as far as i know). If you get something like Greenbacks or even the Eminence Swamp thangs, a Tubescreamer on front and get it bias'd the thing comes alive :agreed:

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
i've realized that the hate over the Pball is because everyone thinks every ENGL should be played through Orange cabs, which are tipically loaded with V30s (as far as i know). If you get something like Greenbacks or even the Eminence Swamp thangs, a Tubescreamer on front and get it bias'd the thing comes alive :agreed:

In my case, it's because I've tried them about 5 or 6 different times, with a few different cabs, and never been impressed. On the other hand, the Savage 120 blew me away the first time I checked one out, and I had one a few months later. I use an Ampeg cab with CL80s with it.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score

V30's or G12K100's

However, I've used the Powerball through various cabs, and never liked it through any of them :)

I also have never tried it with an Orange cab, as I've never been in the same place as one, and I'm in no hurry to either. From what everyone says of the tonal qualities, its the exact opposite of what I want from a cab.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I also have never tried it with an Orange cab, as I've never been in the same place as one, and I'm in no hurry to either. From what everyone says of the tonal qualities, its the exact opposite of what I want from a cab.

Same here :yesway:

Plus, they come with rubber strips on the bottom to increase acoustic coupling...and no casters! I prefer to keep my cabs acoustically decoupled from the floor, and have badass casters on them for maximum portability.

nosgulstic

Reaction score
im thinking of trading the head for a framus cobra instead, is it a good deal? :scratch:

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
I went amp shopping with one of the guitar players in my band, we tried out 5150s, Powerballs, a JSX, an Engl Fireball and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. We both agreed the Mesa was by far the best of the bunch. The Powerball sounded weak and was difficult to EQ

')