Peavey 5150 volume loss issue

agonybrian

Reaction score
I have a Peavey 5150 and it's having this issue where when the footswitch is not plugged it, there is quite a big volume drop. Not only does it lose volume but it's like it doesn't have balls anymore period. When the footswitch is plugged in, the amp works as it should and sounds amazing.

I read on several boards about similar issues saying to spray contact cleaner into the effects loops jacks and plug a cable in and out several times to help clean the jack. I tried this method on the effects loop jacks and also on the footswitch jack as well. No luck. The problem still exists.

I could just leave the footswitch plugged in all the time but I'd rather just have a normal working amp. I've run out of ideas. Please help!!!

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

myampslouder

Reaction score
Hmmm

try running a short cable between fx send and return. Ft this corrects the problem then the FX loop is still not fixed.

xchristopherx

Reaction score
Doesn't the original 5150 run your signal through the foot switch? So that when the loop is on, it is actually colored by the tone of the quality of the switch? I find that if I hit that button by accident the tonal quality of my amp changes somewhat dramatically when it comes to the high end. And I don't have anything in the loop.

I know it's somewhat unrelated, but I absolutely hate that.

Getting back to your point, I had a 5150 loop fail a couple years ago in the middle of a gig. And it was like the last thing I checked. Ever since then, and even now with my new 5150 I don't use it because I dont feel confident in it.

Latest posts

')