Peavey 6505+ 112 at home?

• Thread starter Touro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Touro

Reaction score
Hey :)

Does the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo (60w) good for playing at home in low volumes, or is it too much?

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Shoe-horning the 60w into a single speaker helps tremenously in keeping the volume decent for in home/apartment practice.

wlfers

Reaction score
Keeping it not directly against walls or elevated on some feet help some of the bass that travels to the walls of other tenants/family members.

Touro

Reaction score
Thanx dudes!
One more question.. Does the drive in this amp versatil?
I mean, I want a versatil sound to metal.. From Opeth, to Dream Theater, to Emmure and Chelsea Grind... Don't care about Jazz or Blues, only Metal and Deathcore :)

Thnx and sorry for my bad English!

groph

Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. The standard 6505 tone should work for literally any kind of metal, you'll get a perfect deathcore tone, you'll get great metalcore, death metal, whatever. It won't be as maximum brutal as a 120W 6505 on a 4x12 cab, but that's to be expected.

I'd imagine you can get a lot of mid-gain tones out of it too. Don't expect any award-winning clean tones though. The cleans on 5150s/6505s are not known for being very clean.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Keeping it not directly against walls or elevated on some feet help some of the bass that travels to the walls of other tenants/family members.

:agreed: My buddy used to have his combo all the way back up against the wall, and whenever I'd be walking up to his apartment building all I'd hear is WHOOMP WHOOMP WHUMP WHUMP WHOOMP WHOOMP WHUMP WHUMP (him chugging along). Plus he would always blast the lows and gain, and then turn the mids almost to 0 (lol).

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
It is quite versatile - the crunch channel is a nice variation on the lead channel. The cleans are alright, they work well with a bit of reverb and delay. It can go very quiet, but as usual, you will get a much better tone from cranking it.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
I have this amp. I fucking love it to death. It has the sickest metal tone, and I've tried a few amps and none have the tone the peavey does.

I will say though, it's really loud. Anything over 1.5 on the post lead channel and you will most likely go partially deaf if you are standing in front of the amp for an extended period of time. ITS LOUD. I played it on 2.5 in my basement and it was so loud. I can't imagine it being on 5 or 6, and apparently, the higher the volume, the better the sound on this amp.

If you play this amp in a really open area, where the sound has lots of room to bounce of walls and what not, the highs are going to sound shitty. I experienced that when playing in my living room which is practically completely empty and has hardwood floors. I have since brought it up to my room, which is MUCH smaller, and this amp does wonders for me. I don't think I'll ever upgrade. I just need to get some effect like an axe-fx or podHD or something like that, and I'll be set for sure.

Buy the amp, you'll love it.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with everyone saying the cleans aren't great. I use the cleans fairly often and I love the tone.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
All amps (IMO) sound much better outdoors away from all obstructions. Even otherwise harsh sounding rigs often sound sweet as honey when you let them out to play.

revlover

Reaction score
I have this amp. I fucking love it to death. It has the sickest metal tone, and I've tried a few amps and none have the tone the peavey does.

I will say though, it's really loud. Anything over 1.5 on the post lead channel and you will most likely go partially deaf if you are standing in front of the amp for an extended period of time. ITS LOUD. I played it on 2.5 in my basement and it was so loud. I can't imagine it being on 5 or 6, and apparently, the higher the volume, the better the sound on this amp.

If you play this amp in a really open area, where the sound has lots of room to bounce of walls and what not, the highs are going to sound shitty. I experienced that when playing in my living room which is practically completely empty and has hardwood floors. I have since brought it up to my room, which is MUCH smaller, and this amp does wonders for me. I don't think I'll ever upgrade. I just need to get some effect like an axe-fx or podHD or something like that, and I'll be set for sure.

Buy the amp, you'll love it.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with everyone saying the cleans aren't great. I use the cleans fairly often and I love the tone.

I'm interested in this amp too. I'm going to use it with a 2*12 cab. Is the sound tight enough at low volumes, below 1.5 or so?

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Well, when you go below 1 on the post, it pretty much jumps from loud to pretty quiet. You can get a level between that, but it's super sensitive and easy to miss. You would have to VERY lightly turn the knob to get your desired volume, anything less then 1. That being said, hell yeah, the tone is always tight on this amp, even at low volumes. Like i said though, the louder you get the cleaner and tighter the gain sounds.

Also, for this amp, it REALLY helps if you have a guitar with really good pickups. I have shitty pickups and it still sounds great, but my freind brought over his rgd2127z which had dimarzio crunchlabs and liquifires and my god the tone was pretty incredible. Extremely clean and articulate, and every note rang out with the utmost clarity. Thats why i cant wait to get my new guitar.

I also tried a tubescreamer on the amp and it really made no difference at all. The gain is so clean and high on this amp that a tubescreamer really didnt do anything.

hope that helps

revlover

Reaction score
Many thanks man! A detailed answer like this helps a lot. :yesway:

gorebucket

Reaction score
Well, when you go below 1 on the post, it pretty much jumps from loud to pretty quiet. You can get a level between that, but it's super sensitive and easy to miss. You would have to VERY lightly turn the knob to get your desired volume, anything less then 1. That being said, hell yeah, the tone is always tight on this amp, even at low volumes. Like i said though, the louder you get the cleaner and tighter the gain sounds.

That drives me absolutely crazy. Is there some engineering/physics reason that tube amps can't have a volume knob that works the way you'd expect it to?

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
Well, I guess not. They're meant to be played loud, so it doesn't surprise me. It's not even that big a deal, you just need to dial it in slowly.

onionofdoom

I'm Batman
Reaction score
just thought i'd add my point of view.
i have this amp, and yes it will do all kinds of metal, and the clean channel isnt half as bad as people say it is, especially with a delay pedal, if that matters to you. now to the point. yes, you will be able to play it at home although i've never taken the post volume past 3 at home and that's very loud. (ive had it at 5 at band rehearsal and it's insane) as somebody else said there's a funny volume jump where it gets loud, around 1 on the post volume. IMO the amp sounds okay at all volumes, but if you can get the post volume past 2 (enough to give you a headache after a while, it starts to get moderately loud at about 1) this thing rips, slays and grinds :)
it's a little muddy at low volumes but really cleans up as you up the volume.
in my opinion if you are just practising at low volumes and will never take it louder than 2 or gig, jam, e.t.c the 6505+ 112 isnt your ideal amp, (i find small tube amps or decent quality solid states work better for low volume practise) but turn this thing up (even just a little) and it just keeps getting better man. peace. :) :hbang:

sh4z

Reaction score
I have this amp also. I use A MXR EQ in the Effects Loop to bring the volume down sometimes, and also to adjust the tone slightly.

')