Peavey 6505+ 112 re-tube...please help...

d7d7

Reaction score
Hi

Can somebody please tell me his opinion about re-tubing my Peavey 6505+ 112.

This is what I'm thinking about:

JJ6L6GC Power Amp,

Electro Harmonix 12ax7
Electro Harmonix 12ax7
Electro Harmonix 12ax7
mullard 12ax7
jj12ax7

preamp...

Stock tubes are chinese ruby's.all of them...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xPIZZLEx

Bringin' the heavy.
Reaction score
Hi

Can somebody please tell me his opinion about re-tubing my Peavey 6505+ 112.

This is what I'm thinking about:

JJ6L6GC Power Amp,

Electro Harmonix 12ax7
Electro Harmonix 12ax7
Electro Harmonix 12ax7
mullard 12ax7
jj12ax7

preamp...

Stock tubes are chinese ruby's.all of them...

You looking to get the same tonal characteristics? Or are you looking to beef it up a bit?

If cost and delay on S&H from the UK isn't an issue, take a look at Mazda 12ax7's. They're Mullards on steroids and are usually used in vintage amps for bit more growl (60's Fenders, etc). They definitely have a different tonal structure, but I was amazed by the change. A buddy of mine has a 6505+ combo that he chopped and converted into a head (why I don't know, probably cost related). He kept a Ruby in P1, put Mazdas in P2 and P3, put a Mullard in P4 and a Sovtek in P5.

Ruby 12AX7
Mazda 12AX7
Mazda 12AX7
Mullard 12AX7
Sovtek 12AX7

A guy at one of the local SLC guitar shops did everything...pretty sure it was House of Guitars if I remember correctly. We took it practice right after it got out of the shop, and his 6505+ was in Hulk mode. That damn thing still makes me turn my head.

I'd swap the JJ for a Sovtek or maybe even a Tung-Sol, but that's personal preference. To me, a JJ is a bit more brittle sounding when you push it too far.

Hope this helps!

d7d7

Reaction score
Thank You for answering xPIZZLEx.
I want a little bit warmer sound. This is too bright and "chunky", and off course it would be great to beef it up...

xPIZZLEx

Bringin' the heavy.
Reaction score
Warmer is a bit of a vague term...can you explain what you'd want it to sound like (more treble, etc.)? Also, do you have any effects pedals that you're using?

*EDIT: Are you talking about the clean channel or the high-gain channel?*

d7d7

Reaction score
for both channels...more smooth...it's too much treble and sharp...and high-gain is too zzzzzzzzzz... :) if you understand me...
i'm using delay and chorus.

xPIZZLEx

Bringin' the heavy.
Reaction score
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you...been running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to figure out when I'm getting the hell out of Kuwait and going home.

I know what you mean. I've owned a 5150, 5150 II, and 6505+. Most (if not all) of the gain comes from P1-P3. If you want it to be a bit smoother on BOTH channels and drop the shrill treble sounds, what you may wanna do instead of going with a Mullard in P4 is get another Sovtek or Tung-Sol. Those tubes are in the low-to-moderate static noise grouping and will tame the harsh sounds you're talking about. As far as reducing the amp's general feedback and ZZZZZZ, I'd recommend a noise gate to go with your pedals. That Peavey has PLENTY of gain on tap, so even if you picked up a Boss NS-2 you wouldn't lose much of your tone.

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
Stay away from electro harmonics tubes, they are nothing of what you seem to be looking for, ie good sound in a 5150.

I suggest tungsol v1 jjs 2 3 4 and sovtek as pi

Latest posts

')