Peavey 6505 212 combo vs Line 6 PODHD

fogdog234

Reaction score
I can't decied bewteen these two, I would be playing heavy metal and some clean. They are both around the same price $550- $350. I cant decied some input would be great. They are second hand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I have both.

These do very very different things... what are you trying to accomplish? If you are wanting to play live, needa good, durable amp, and dont use too many effects; then your choice should be pretty clear.

DarthV

Reaction score
Well one is an amp and can be played on its own, the other is a modeler/mfx that will need some sort of amp/speaker to be heard. Have you budgeted for studio monitor(s), power amp + cab or powered wedge for the POD?

The PODHD would be much more flexible, but the 6505 is a 6505, aka it lives and breathes metal.

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
i used to own a peavey 6505+ head (not combo), and now i own an HD500.

the clean channel on the 6505 is pretty lame, but the 6505 IS awesome otherwise. i was always the fullest and heaviest sounding member of all my bands.

Whatever you do, dont get the HD400 or HD300, they have pretty limited DSP (digital signal processing? i think?) capabilities. the 500, desktop, or pro are all the same when it comes to DSP the only differences being foot switches and pedals on the 500, and extra inputs/outputs on the pro... anyway the PODHD has a very wide range of sounds it can produce, but it wont sound as "real" as a 6505. pretty damn close... close enough for me. also if you'll be playing live you should look into some sort of FRFR powered monitor or a power amp and cab for some on-stage sound. the sound guy can patch you into the house PA for the audience to hear, but the onstage monitors provided by the club may not be enough for you. keep in mind, if you've never messed with amp modellers before there might be a bit of a learning curve for you. i didnt like the sound of my HD500 right out of the box but after tweaking and tweaking i've found many sounds that i thoroughly enjoy - also sevenstring has a great thread on the HD series with lots of patches and insight into making your own patches. you can find it in the "gear" section.

PODHD=variety of sounds. convenient small unit for bedroom/home playing. easy and quiet home recording. learning curve. might need more gear for live shows.

6505=classic metal amp. sounds great turned up loud. reliable for a tube amp. not much variety in the tone. clean channel sucks without the help of pedals/fx.

very different units. it really depends on what you plan to do with them. are you just going to be a bedroom composer/internet sensation? or will you be playing gigs at local vfw's/bars and partying hard?

c0n0r

Reaction score
When i played the clean channel on the 6506 Combo, i found it absolutely shite! Totally put me off the amp. For your price range i'd recommend a blackstar ht series amp over either of the other two.

Damus

Low B for better =D
Reaction score
Umm yeah I can see why that would be a tough choice.
I dont think you can really go wrong with either, but I would choose the 6505 combo.

Allealex

Reaction score
I have both and I don't use the 6505 anymore because the HD is much more versatile and i can get an overally better tone in general.

fogdog234

Reaction score
The 6505 sold but i saw a line 6 POD HD 400 for $300 i might go for that but thanks for all the advice everyone.

Icecold

Reaction score
You can get close to the 6505 with the Pod HD with the Bomber (Ubershall) and some tweaks. I saw that you're looking at getting one so I want to rock that by you. :)

')