Peavey 6505 and general gear issues

• Thread starter purg3be
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purg3be

Reaction score
hi guys & girls,

this is my 1st post on this forum so be gentle please.
To make a long story short, my amp (peavey 6505) refused to work at a gig and I had it repaired. Next to that I'm trying to get some more knowledge about amps and cabs. (in4 google, did that. Wasn't really satifying.)

The powertubes were replaced with sovtek 5881's (coming from 6l6's i guess), had a total checkup and I've been having some issues since then.

For starters, my amp is less loud (volume wise), which I can understand since 5881's have a power rating of 23W (instead of the 30W from 6l6's), but that's ok i guess. But what I don't understand is that my signal chain doesn't work like it used to.

I used to run: guitar (EMG81, bridge) -> maxon od808 -> boss n2 (4 cable) and it worked like a charm.
I could get the pre gain up to 4-5ish and get some overdrive from the od808 without a single noise or feedback. When I did this after the amp got fixed, I've got feedback all over the place and my sustain is horrible (using the same settings as before). I can hardly use my od808 anymore (even with the overdrive set to 0) I get a lot of feedback. I placed it before and after my NS2 while running the NS2 in 4cable and standard method. Nothing seems to really work.

Any tips/ideas?

Next to that I'd like to have your opinion about mono/stereo head/cabs. I've heard that in mono you only use 2/4 speakers, but I read it's the other way around. The 2 outputs on the peavey, are they for stereo use on a single cab or for double mono on 2 cabs and how to match impedance in the mentioned cases? I'm asking this since I had to play a stereo cab at a gig and I had no clue about how to wire it.

Thanks in advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
I know that the 5881's have a higher output capability which will break up sooner than the 6L6's which were in the amp. I would advise you to have the head rebiased with the 5881's in there now. That may help eliminate some of the noise.

purg3be

Reaction score
I know that the 5881's have a higher output capability which will break up sooner than the 6L6's which were in the amp. I would advise you to have the head rebiased with the 5881's in there now. That may help eliminate some of the noise.

I guess the guys from the shop did that...

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
I'd ask them just to be sure. If it was me, and they did bias it, I would take it in again and have them, or possibly another shop, check it out again. Be specific about what the amp did before and after the retubing and have them go from there.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
That amp has so little of its distortion coming from the power section. You may have an unrelated problem: microphonic preamp tube. Test for this by turning the amp on and tap each preamp tube with the eraser end of a pencil. If one of them makes noise through the amp, it needs replacing.

vick1000

Reaction score
Always start by eliminating cables, and running straight into the amp with nothing in the loop. If the problem persists you can go from there and start adding back gear until it occurs again.

It would help if we actually knew what was done to "fix" the amp too, and what settings are being used on the Maxon and the Amp.

')