Peavey 6505+ or Engl Powerball?

• Thread starter 1metalman1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I am probably going to get the Peavey 6505. As this would be my first valve amp then i can only compare it to what i have already, a marshall MGDFX250 with an eq and uber metal pedal in front. So i would probably think the valve amp is ten times better. In time when i have listened to/played many valve amps then i would be able to make a better discision. It will do for now, lol.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a Tung Sol 12AX7 for V1, and an overdrive pedal. Pick up a Bloody Murder from Joe, or if you don't have that much money, a used TS7, and send it to him to mod when you have more cash. I can't stress enough how important that overdrive pedal is.

JMad81

Reaction score
I had a 5150 and then picked up a powerball. After trying the PB out I immediately sold the 5150. Its way tighter and is way more versatile. 5150s/6505s are brutal amps though. I just think the ENGL is much better, than again, it costs a lot more too. You gotta know to really boost the mids with a PB though. Its a scooped sounding amp so you gotta put mids in and it cuts fine.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and pick up a Tung Sol 12AX7 for V1, and an overdrive pedal. Pick up a Bloody Murder from Joe, or if you don't have that much money, a used TS7, and send it to him to mod when you have more cash. I can't stress enough how important that overdrive pedal is.

That's pretty much the golden rule(s) right there. :agreed:

Nick

Reaction score
Powerball - Zyklon

5150/6505 - Old machinehead (like them or not, the tone on the more things change was IMO the embodiement of what a 5150 does)

Brord

Furor Teutonicus
Reaction score
Get the 5150 (6505) it stomps all over the powerball imho. It's way more agressive, thick, in your face, unpolished, it has loads of RAW power to it.
The shared eq (which -in my opinion- is one of the nicest eq's to work with btw) isn't that much of a problem, I quite like it, the tone of the clean channel matches the one of the lead channel really good this way. If u play some clean passages the clean on the 5150 will be just fine. Btw, the powerball's clean isn't that great either.... yes, it's really clean but also cold, lifeless and sterile. I would pick the 5150 over the powerball anyday of the week in about every setting.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
The shared eq (which -in my opinion- is one of the nicest eq's to work with btw)

:agreed: When I was playing on the 6505+ I was quite amazed at how the EQ knobs reacted with one another.

JMad81

Reaction score
Get the 5150 (6505) it stomps all over the powerball imho. It's way more agressive, thick, in your face, unpolished, it has loads of RAW power to it.
The shared eq (which -in my opinion- is one of the nicest eq's to work with btw) isn't that much of a problem, I quite like it, the tone of the clean channel matches the one of the lead channel really good this way. If u play some clean passages the clean on the 5150 will be just fine. Btw, the powerball's clean isn't that great either.... yes, it's really clean but also cold, lifeless and sterile. I would pick the 5150 over the powerball anyday of the week in about every setting.

The cleans on my old 5150 were god awful at stage volume and I love my powerball cleans.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Engl > 6505. If you're going down the Peavey route, get a real 5150. :metal:

Idiot.

Dude the 5150 and 6505 are identical. Come on man :)

:yesway:

The cleans on my old 5150 were god awful at stage volume and I love my powerball cleans.

In its defense, the 5150/6505 doesn't pretend to have a clean channel. It's entitled "Rhythm" and should be used as such.

If you want sparkly cleans then get a telecaster and a Blackface :fawk:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Peavey.com said:
* 120 watts (rms) into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)
* Five 12AX7 preamp tubes and four 6L6GC power amp tubes
* High and low gain inputs
* 2-channel preamp switchable on front panel or remote footswitch
* Rhythm channel: pre-/post-gain, bright and crunch switches
* Lead channel: pre-/post-gain
* Channels share 3-band EQ
* Presence and resonance controls
* Switchable post-EQ effects loop
* Preamp output
* Footswitch included
* Weight Unpacked: 48
* Width Unpacked: 26.5
* Depth Unpacked: 11.875
* Height Unpacked: 10.25
* Weight Packed: 55
* Width Packed: 28.5
* Depth Packed: 14
* Height Packed: 12.25

Not sure if that means lbs or kg's, but I'd assume lb's since Americans insist in using stupid weight standards. :fawk:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if that means lbs or kg's, but I'd assume lb's since Americans insist in using stupid weight standards. :fawk:

Hmmm... Yeah, It's a little lighter. The B52 is a monster to carry. And yeah, our measurement system sucks...

I just don't understand why we havn't switched to the metric system yet. :scratch:

While the metric system is MUCH easier to interpret (especially true for anyone who has ever sifted through a drawer full of sockets and wrenches...) I think there are too many idiots in this country to make a smooth transition. Plus just how many cars are on the road today with MPH only?

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
Hmmm... Yeah, It's a little lighter. The B52 is a monster to carry. And yeah, our measurement system sucks...

While the metric system is MUCH easier to interpret (especially true for anyone who has ever sifted through a drawer full of sockets and wrenches...) I think there are too many idiots in this country to make a smooth transition. Plus just how many cars are on the road today with MPH only?

:rofl: :bowdown:

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
While the metric system is MUCH easier to interpret (especially true for anyone who has ever sifted through a drawer full of sockets and wrenches...) I think there are too many idiots in this country to make a smooth transition.

:agreed::lol:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: It's the truth, think of how many people would think gas prices skyrocketed becuase they didn't understand that a L is smaller than a Gal... It's not like people read the friggin' newspaper anymore. There was a story the other day where people in Ohio thought Obama was muslim and didn't know the national anthem... WATCH THE GODDAMN NEWS!

...Now back on topic...

I'm glad this thread exists, I've been seriously considering a 6505/+, especially with the price point it's at. This answers a lot of my questions. :metal:

1metalman1

Reaction score
Should just get the 6505 rather than the 6505+. The reason i was thinking about getting the + model was because it allows eq control on lead and rhythm channels. But as there isn't really a clean channel then i could just use the volume pot on my guitar to get a clean tone on the less ditorted channel. I would save a few hundred £'s, if i got the 6505.

Brord

Furor Teutonicus
Reaction score
Should just get the 6505 rather than the 6505+. The reason i was thinking about getting the + model was because it allows eq control on lead and rhythm channels. But as there isn't really a clean channel then i could just use the volume pot on my guitar to get a clean tone on the less ditorted channel. I would save a few hundred £'s, if i got the 6505.

well there is some sort of clean channel on both the 5150 (6505) as well as the 5150 II (6505+)

5150:
rythm= clean and crunch, u have to select either of those options on the amp itself by pushing a button (not footswitchable, unless u mod it) it also has a bright button on this channel. The clean gives u a good enough clean when u play metal, the crunch can give u easily enough gain to play death metal.

lead= no push buttons for any options, this is your lead channel (obviously) this is where u get that sick 5150 tone u hear on most records.

Most people use the rythm channel with the crunch button NOT engaged (this gives u the clean sound) and the gain set pretty low, but u could also use it as another distorted channel so u have two gain channels which are footswitchable. U can footswitch between the rythm (crunch engaged or not, it's own prefference) and lead channel.

5150II:
Also a rythm and a lead channel BUT.
Rythm= this also has the bright and crunch button but this time u CAN switch with ur footswitch between clean and crunch.

lead= same options as 5150 but people say it's less brutal. I have no experience with the 5150 II but I do know the 5150 slays.

The 5150 II has seperate eq's for rythm and lead channel. The 5150 only has one, both for rythm and lead channel.

That about sums it up.
Both the 5150 as well as the 5150II are way more versitile then they get credit for...

')