Peavey 6505+ tube question

• Thread starter MrFighter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrFighter

Reaction score
Hi, the thing is that I have definitely thought about buying this head. And I've been reading some forums and say this head is a bit effervescent or fizz its distortion, and can be solved by a full retube the amp, changing the original tubes for others betters. I think change them for ones of JJ electronics or Tung-sol, but do not know which choice, I'll buy 6 12ax7 and 4 6L6 that carrying the head and I would like see if you could help with this.

One other thing is, as I make the change? I should consider? only removed and put the other and nothing more? or I should make a modification first? because originally these heads carry other different tubes, and I do not know if I should make some modification before make the change tubes from one brand to another.

Someone can help me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vick1000

Reaction score
Try it without changing them first. No matter what tubes you put in it, a 6505+ will still have some fizz, when EQ'ed with highs in the mix, and through speakers that reproduce that range of frequencies. Some tubes are worse than others, but the Chinese made Rubies that come stock, are not known to be too bad for fizz.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
If you buy any tube amp used, its usually a good idea to get a new set of tubes. If youre buying new, should be fine. I dont think changing tubes is gonna do a what you think, but you can try it. Email Laura at Valvequeen and she will hook you up with a solid set of tubes.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
There's no example with just the stock tubes, but this video will give you an idea of the subtle differences between the most popular preamp tubes.

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
I had put a set of JJs in my old 5150 and it made a good difference. Best thing I can tell you is invest in an EQ and a noise gate/reducer and it cleans it up very nicely. Tubes are pieces of the puzzle but not to definite all out answer. With all three it should be a wicked amp.

Ive had a block letter 5150 head, 6505+ head and now have a 5150 2x12 combo and this combo of things I listed has been the trick for me. I do need to retube the combo though, in a bad way!!!

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I had put a set of JJs in my old 5150 and it made a good difference. Best thing I can tell you is invest in an EQ and a noise gate/reducer and it cleans it up very nicely. Tubes are pieces of the puzzle but not to definite all out answer. With all three it should be a wicked amp.

Ive had a block letter 5150 head, 6505+ head and now have a 5150 2x12 combo and this combo of things I listed has been the trick for me. I do need to retube the combo though, in a bad way!!!

Yup, the combo is the best one in the series. ....ing crunch channel rocks so goddamned hard.

For tubes, I got a full set of rubys from valvequeen last year, and theyve been ....ing fantastic. I like the way Ruby power tubes feel, plus I feel like the preamp tubes are more durable than others Ive tried. I always get compliments on my tone...Im sure Ill get some tonight at our gig.

')