Peavey Classic 50/212

• Thread starter Joe_Fletcher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Fletcher

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying this combo as opposed to a cheap solid state stack such as the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412. My price range is around $599-$699. I prefer tubes to SS, and I know most on here do aswell. I just need a good solid amp to use for a very long time. Also, my current amp is Washburn 105 watt SS head into a (presumbably) Washburn 115 cabinet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JCNY

Reaction score
Check out the Crate VTX200S. :metal:

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Just recently got the Peavey Classic 50/410...LOVE IT.

Cleans are very nice and distortion is nice and full. I bought an OD pedal to use with the overdrive on the amp...so i can get some more saturation from it. But, the preexisting OD on the amp is great especially when cranked. The clean channel is so clear and brilliant. I got the 410 version new for 650 at a local shop here.

I never played the 212...but i bet it sounds good, but i'd try the 410 out for sure

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd actually suggest the 30 over the 50 - the Peavey Classic is based off a "tweed" Fender, a design loved for their low wattage and ease to be driven into poweramp saturation. As such, increasing the wattage kinda runs counter to the "idea" of the amp - what's the point of having an amp that provides great power-tube breakup if you put the wattage so high that it also has lots and lots of headroom? You basically are robbing yourself of that wonderful breakup it was designed to produce.

Also, be aware that the Classics aren't super-high gain amps - if you want a "metal" amp, look elsewhere. But for good cleans and organic moderately overdriven "vintage"-y sounds, these things kill.

-D

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to have a Classic 212, the Phase on that creature was mind boggling, I loved that amp...my balls used to crawl up to my eyeballs while playing that thing cranked...man I'm such a dork for getting rid of things! :wallbash:

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
aye...I got mine for a good clean and vintage sound. I'm not too crazy about breaking up since i use a light OD for some crunch and crystal clear cleans for my clean tone. also, i never really play loud enough at home for it to matter but i wanted something useful to record with.

')