Peavey discontinued Ultra series amps?

• Thread starter ProphetOfHatred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
Just went on their site and the Triple XXXII/3120 are no longer there. So they discontinued them? This really sucks in my opinion, I thought the Ultra series were always their best amps for high gain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Knowing Peavey they'll be back with a different name and headshell.

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't believe that at all. I will ask though, did anyone dislike the headshell of the Triple XXXII or 3120? The most optimistic thing I can hope for them releasing the heads with different headshells, although I really liked the Triple XXXII headshell. Being all black would be cool.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't believe that at all. I will ask though, did anyone dislike the headshell of the Triple XXXII or 3120? The most optimistic thing I can hope for them releasing the heads with different headshells, although I really liked the Triple XXXII headshell. Being all black would be cool.

Why not believe it? It's something Peavey has done a lot in the past, and recently to those exact amps. Remember when the 3120 was the XXX?

Peavey like reusing designs, like most amp makers, so even if they're gone for a year or two, they'll probably come back at some point.

Luckily, if you're a big fan, plenty of them still exist. :)

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
IMO they need to hire some better designers for their cosmetics.
Great amps, especially for the price, but their cosmetics have actually went downhill, (again, just IMO), except for the 6505 series which actually looks much better than the old 5150.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO they need to hire some better designers for their cosmetics.
Great amps, especially for the price, but their cosmetics have actually went downhill, (again, just IMO), except for the 6505 series which actually looks much better than the old 5150.

:scratch:

Peavey%2B5150%2BHead.jpg

576-big-peavey-5150-et-6505-meme-combat.jpg

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the 6505 looks much better. Not exactly apples and oranges though, true.

I think I just hate that peavey logo from the 5150 era. Looks so generic.
Also the BIG 5150 logo is just goofy. Yeah great, how uncreative can we be here, like lets call our amp the 512, or maybe blink 182, or 213.666 :lol:.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I kinda like the older logo, the new one just screams of 90's "Xtreme!" advertising in my mind. :lol:

I think we can all agree though that anything beats the old Blue/Red Line days.

Also, Eddie Van Halen wanting something goofy? Why I never!

131ca8eee3ec38222bc246f60f39e981.jpg

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
The current/older peavey pointy logo (which I love) actually kind of reminds me of The Jetsons cartoon, kind of like a vintage attempt to look futuristic.
I'll admit I'm very an-- about logo looks :lol:.

edit; They did do very well with the JSX look, almost forgot about that one.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
The spikey logo reminds me of my childhood

Last edited:

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I wish they had plans for a 6588 (since they're rolling with the numbers thing anyways despite my objections), and not a + model to start with like they did with the 34.
Basically just a 6505 base model with a kt88 power section. And still under a grand since I'm just wishing.
Like a poor man's Deliverance with more saturation.:lol: (not even close haha)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I agree that the late '80s/'90s logo looks better, but I was never a fan of the huge '5150' logo on the 5150. I like how they did the "traditional" look on the 6505, with the brand on the middle and the model somewheres on the side. I wish they did that with the 5150, but with the '90s logo.

I do wonder what the next XXX/Ultra would bring? They did do slight tweaks to each revision to my knowledge. The Ultra was the original, the XXX was a tweaked Ultra to George Lynch's specs, I think, and the 3120 was the XXX with EL34s.

That, or they're just streamlining their model line. :shrug:

Alex79

Reaction score
I don't think the XXX/3120 sold too well, it was kind of always in the shadow of other, more prestigious amps.
I think it's more likely that Peavey will return with a new, EL34-based design, kind of in between the Windsor, Butcher and 3120 series.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I loved my 3120, I hope they bring them back.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I heard the 6534 had a tweaked and better clean channel. Most el34 amps can run kt88 within bias or with some tweaks. Wonder if anyone did that successfully with that amp. I really hated the "Batman" styling of the last run with the 3120 and Vypr lines. Hopefully they re-release that new Butcher they tried without it being a flubby mush fest. I still have my old teal-striped Ultra. Ugly but damn good.

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
The original higher gain butcher would be a cool re-release. I do admit, a 6505 lead channel with a JSX clean channel would be epic.

Bearitone

Reaction score
They will finally make a 6505+ with a real clean channel!!!!

This ^^^
But give me an on board parametric EQ and a slave out too! And give it a name without any numbers :lol:

')