Peavey introduces Triple XXX II

• Thread starter RazerX666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I think it's foolish to call it the "XXX II" because the original XXX, while decent, was a lower end amplifier when compared to the JSX. I think people are going mistake this and brush it off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
SHALLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wub:

I was just coming on here to post this and saw it already. I have to say, I kinda like the mudflap girl scheme they had for the original XXX. I really wanted to buy one for the longest time. I'm hoping to hear some clips of this new one though. The bars are kinda fugly to me too, but frankly I care more about how an amp sounds than how it looks. Having said that, I think that this amp could use a better face plate and the LED lights like the Ultra series had.

The mudflap wasn't TOO bad, it was the EQ controls being called "Hair, Bottom, and Body" that was too ridiculous for me. I hope they're still not called that.

It's still not a great looking head, I agree about the Ultra part. The tone is what counts, but it's nice to have a head that looks as badass as it sounds.

crush_taylor

Reaction score
I'm definitely in the 'as long as it sounds awesome' group... definitely some interest in this amp since I have no clue what I want now...

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone says the same thing..the name is stupid. It's just a re-issued JSX, as the Peavey reps say, HOWEVER there are apparently some preamp mods to make the amp cut through better. Supposedly some complained about the original JSX not cutting through, which is interesting as I've never had that problem. I'd be interested in hearing the difference between this and the first JSX. Why they didn't just name it the 3120+ I'll never know.

Not cutting through? Who the fuck said that about the amp?:lol:
The 6505/XXX/JSX range is pretty much mid range city:lol: If anything, keeping the mid range honk under control is a significantly greater concern than being able to cut through or not:nuts:

jllozano

Reaction score
The 6505/XXX/JSX range is pretty much mid range city:lol: If anything, keeping the mid range honk under control is a significantly greater concern than being able to cut through or not:nuts:

this :nuts:

OwainXerath

Player of Notes
Reaction score
The JSX is one of the most cutting amps i've ever tried. I originally got one to go alongside my 6505 to make it sound bigger (perils of a one guitar band) but the JSX did the trick so well I sold the 6505!

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
The "cutting through" thing is just a smoke screen. They say they've modified the preamp, and that it's not a straight JSX, but I highly doubt this.

They pretended the 3120 was a new amp as well, until someone opened it up and that it was a XXX became common knowledge.

Reaction score
The "cutting through" thing is just a smoke screen. They say they've modified the preamp, and that it's not a straight JSX, but I highly doubt this.

They pretended the 3120 was a new amp as well, until someone opened it up and that it was a XXX became common knowledge.

I'm thinking this too. I've NEVER heard anyone say that a JSX couldn't cut through and I've never had that problem before. As a matter of fact my amp eats my friend's 5150 in the mix without even trying.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
no surprise here

the only hing i want Peavey to do is release a 6505 head that has a clean channel, two separate channels and can switch between the sound of the 6505 and the 6505+ and eliminate the two differing amps

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

A shot in the dark, but I'm assuming Joe Satriani said that.... :ugh:

In any case, I might have to get my hands on one of these, or at least a JSX. Either way... :yum:

Now if only they can do the same with the Mini Colossal... :pray:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
A shot in the dark, but I'm assuming Joe Satriani said that.... :ugh:

In any case, I might have to get my hands on one of these, or at least a JSX. Either way... :yum:

Now if only they can do the same with the Mini Colossal... :pray:

He certainly had no issues cutting through at G3 IIRC:scratch:

Definitely hit up a JSX. Should be plenty on the used market by now.
The XXX II is cool, that's for sure, but it's gonna cost close to 4 grand, and when you can score a used JSX for close to half that.
If you were to sell the XXX, and bought a used JSX, you'd only be losing a few hundred bucks at most I reckon

Kstring

SCHECTER
Reaction score
the only way a JSX couldn't cut through is either 1) The person doesn't know how to EG 2) No sound check and 3) Its being played with a Mesa Dual rec((((just my opinion if someone can prove me wrong go for it))). Ive done 1 and 2 at our first band practice and it was my own fault the amp wasn't cutting.

miked

Reaction score
I have a jsx and xxx and besides fat boost and resonance control they are exactly the same amp.fuckin sick!didn't know satch went to marshall.but makes sense putting xxx back on there.after all he used xxx for a year touring and modeled his sig right off it.and to me tone is way better then looking the part.rather sound cool than look it.looking forward to trying one.

viesczy

Reaction score
What I think folks meant about the XXX/JSX not cutting is the lack of articulation maybe due to all the compression. It isn't such much as they don't cut, it is that the compression is over the top.

It took me a while to dial in the articulation that I want/need into my XXX. Honestly, it is my least articulate amp, even with the gain barely at noon. I won't be w/o my XXX, or my Bugera 333xl, as great tones abound despite the lack of complete articulation!

Now a higher gain amp with awesome articulation is the Genz Benz El Diablo. As heavy as you want to be, cuts, and articulate!

Now back to the original topic, I'd by the XXX II if it wasn't so expensive and I didn't already have the Bugera equivalent.

Derek

bklixuz

Reaction score
It probably is the JSX now that Satriani is now with Marshall.

what? fuck I did not know this! I should try to read newspapers time to time..
peavey is sucking hard OH man! I was planning on getting a jsx and this turned me off...

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
what? fuck I did not know this! I should try to read newspapers time to time..
peavey is sucking hard OH man! I was planning on getting a jsx and this turned me off...

Satch going to Marshall shouldn't turn you off from getting a JSX. They're still amazing amps regardless of if he's using them or not.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Satch going to Marshall shouldn't turn you off from getting a JSX. They're still amazing amps regardless of if he's using them or not.

+100

JSX is in my very humble opinion the best amp Peavey make, it's just stunning. Lead tones = amazing. Clean tones = amazing. Rhythm tones (with the right cab i.e. Mesa Recto) = amazing.

It really is a fantastic amp.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i always thought the 3120 ws suypposed to be the remodelled JSX and the new triple XXX, well was supposed to be the new triple X.

either way i'm not seeing anything NEW new from Peavey

and the new butcher isn't even worthy of it's name, unless you meant butchered tone, it's an expensive paper weight. still love the 6505 though, they should really do something newish with that head instead, like 3 independant channels, and a better clean

Pewtershmit

Reaction score
He certainly had no issues cutting through at G3 IIRC:scratch:

Definitely hit up a JSX. Should be plenty on the used market by now.
The XXX II is cool, that's for sure, but it's gonna cost close to 4 grand, and when you can score a used JSX for close to half that.
If you were to sell the XXX, and bought a used JSX, you'd only be losing a few hundred bucks at most I reckon

The XXXII Will probably be cheaper than the JSX was at full MAP pricing. Although I don't know how australian pricing goes down.

Where'd the info for a modified preamp come from? It sounds like someone making shit up just to sound like they are in the know.

Straight from my Peavey Rep AT NAMM. The XXX 2 is simply a re badged JSX. Circuit for circuit, same as the 3120 being exact same as the original XXX (except shipped with different tubes) and the 5150/6505's.

')