Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

• Thread starter Takk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
can't wait to try this amp out and eventually get one

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baconjerky

Reaction score
Looks really awesome. A USA suped up 5150 yea it's gonna be some $$$. Maybe I should have waited on doing that bathroom remodel...

Great that his name's not written on it or anything too. I can't stand that about signature gear.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Might have just killed my gas for a Mesa TC-50. This has all the features I want. I used to own a block letter 5150 and I regret selling it sometimes.. only to remember it has the worst clean channel ever. If this is a significant upgrade over that I might be all over it.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
Well...I may have to go back on my "I'll never own another Peavey amp. Ever." oath.
Guess I'll have to drag the 8-string down to the Peavey dealer in SacTown to try one.
(When/if they ever get one...)

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I feel like this thread is a bit short on invective, so...

What the .... is the point of just slightly modifying a 5150 and putting a couple of effects power supplies in the back of it when I can already plug my effects in anywhere, not to mention two effects loops which will no doubt suck twice as much tone as a single loop thus leaving 0 tone intact.

Seriously though, I keep thinking of buying a block letter 5150 so will definitely be looking out for the UK pricing on these, even if just in order to go "OH FOR ....S SAKE" and go back to keeping an eye out for old 5150s.

What is the point? I have been using a 5150 II almost 20 years, because it is the sound I want and my pedal board for about 10 of those years has been:

guitar>turbotuner>maxon808>keeley 4 knob>Decimator II>amp

Loop in>7 band EQ>Boss Line Selector in loop mode with a Carbon Copy delay in that loop>effects in

A PP2+ powers it all.

That is 7 pedals to get the rhythm channel working the way I want and then I basically had to add a boost/lead channel with the line selector for solos. I love my amp but anything that would cut this down would be a god send.

So, if the Invective is just a modernized 5150 with a usable clean channel to boot I will be one of the first people in line to get one. It has taken Peavey waaaay too long to do this if you ask me.

P-Ride

Reaction score
Great that his name's not written on it or anything too. I can't stand that about signature gear.

Yeah, I've never liked the idea of signature gear, even if it's my favourite guitarist; but every piece of gear released for the Periphery guys seems to be dripping in sensible ideas.

bulb

Reaction score
Yeah, I've never liked the idea of signature gear, even if it's my favourite guitarist; but every piece of gear released for the Periphery guys seems to be dripping in sensible ideas.

Well, that's why this is a collaboration. I worked on the amp with them, but it does not bear my name anywhere on it, it's just an amp that will be available to buy soon, just a pretty damn incredible one haha!

I seriously can't wait for you guys to hear this, and hopefully be able to try these out for yourselves in your stores that stock Peavey!

bulb

Reaction score
I wonder how this will work with 8 string drop e guitars.

Very very well. I definitely tested it extensively with all sort of tunings, and with Ch2/3 and the Boost on it can handle those low tunings and keep things very tight and clear!

bulb

Reaction score
The dual-input (guitar detection and FX loop in) style of the G-String and TC sentry pedals has made them a real headache for keeping a simple FX board that I can use through amps and into my laptop alike; palming that off to an amp would be super-convenient (I have VST gating in Ableton) - does this amp's gating giving the previously-mentioned pedals a run for their money?

I would love to drop a noise-gate off my travelling pedalboard if possible!

Also, am I right in thinking the 5150 II/6505+ are known for have more upper-mid focus and the 5150/6505 more of a low-mid focus?

In that sense, this amp would grab the II in channel 3 and the I in channel 2?

Please correct if I misunderstand! Cheers

Hmm I wouldn't say that, CH2/CH3 started life as the Green and Red Chans on a block letter, but we focused on the gain since the green channel was never really a clean channel. We also tweaked everything from there, but I would say it would be selling it short to call it just a 5150/5150II.

I feel like this thread is a bit short on invective, so...

What the .... is the point of just slightly modifying a 5150 and putting a couple of effects power supplies in the back of it when I can already plug my effects in anywhere, not to mention two effects loops which will no doubt suck twice as much tone as a single loop thus leaving 0 tone intact.

Seriously though, I keep thinking of buying a block letter 5150 so will definitely be looking out for the UK pricing on these, even if just in order to go "OH FOR ....S SAKE" and go back to keeping an eye out for old 5150s.

You seem to really dislike the idea of the amp. But just keep in mind that the amp's tone is the most important factor for me. At every juncture, and with every feature, the first question I was asking was if this would affect the tone negatively. The features you don't like or care for, you don't have to use. The loops by design are ULTRA clean and don't color the sound on or off.

Maybe this won't end up being the amp for you, but I would urge you to keep an open mind and actually try one before writing it off. You might be surprised!

Man I think the opposite that this amp is right to the point .
The point being that if you are a giging modern Metal player who brings an amp , switching system and several pedals or rack pieces to a show this amp would cut down on all the .... to carry around.

On top of that there isn't really a clean tone to be had with the original 5150. This amp having a full clean channel and even a switchable volume boost for solos really covers a lot of ground of what you might need in a live situation .

I just hope the tone is there and that it's as good or possibly better than the original 5150 . One thing to also keep in mind is that the loop on the original 5150 and 5152 is pretty transparent. It's actually better than a lot of "boutique" amps so I also have my fingers crossed that they used that same design or even improved on it.

I could see myself preordering one of these from MF or Sweetwater. Maybe Misha can clue us in on when these will be showing up at dealers.

I'm not really sure when these will be showing up at dealers because we literally just finished the latest revisions in time for this to show at NAMM, but the plan is to get all of this rolling ASAP!

Also, just so you know, by comparison, the 5150 is a pretty noisy amp. The engineer who I worked with on this, John Fields, told me how excited he was to finally get an opportunity to try to clear that up as much as possible. It's not quite as straight forward as it sounds because we had to clean it up without compromising the overall tone, and that was a time consuming process with a lot of A/Bing and testing to make sure we were only improving on the amp!

I'm not worried about the tone or the loops at all. I'm just wondering how much these suckers will $$$, since it's essentially a 5150 with ALL the features that a 5150 doesn't have :lol::lol:

What is the point? I have been using a 5150 II almost 20 years, because it is the sound I want and my pedal board for about 10 of those years has been:

guitar>turbotuner>maxon808>keeley 4 knob>Decimator II>amp

Loop in>7 band EQ>Boss Line Selector in loop mode with a Carbon Copy delay in that loop>effects in

A PP2+ powers it all.

That is 7 pedals to get the rhythm channel working the way I want and then I basically had to add a boost/lead channel with the line selector for solos. I love my amp but anything that would cut this down would be a god send.

So, if the Invective is just a modernized 5150 with a usable clean channel to boot I will be one of the first people in line to get one. It has taken Peavey waaaay too long to do this if you ask me.

I think you understand EXACTLY why I wanted to make this amp haha.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Being a huge 5150 fan, I'm excited to hear this. Honestly, I was hoping for a whole new amp/voicing, as the 5150 sound has pretty much become THE sound for modern metal of any sort, but that's not without reason.

Half power is nice, the option to swap power tube types would be awesome as well. Not sure if the latter is a feature of this amp or not, but has been of the ultra series for some time, so incorporating it into the 5150/6505 family would have been an awesome addition. Either way, I'm excited to hear this thing.

Garfish

Reaction score
I can't wait to hear some demos ! I'm currently looking at buying a 5150 iii 50w, but this could be a challenger, depending on the pricetag and sounds

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't wait to hear some demos ! I'm currently looking at buying a 5150 iii 50w, but this could be a challenger, depending on the pricetag and sounds

It's highly unlikely this will be in the same price ballpark as the 5153 50w, given the Chinese built 6505+ is the same price... I would be happy to be wrong though.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
That is because L&M does not carry Peavey for some reason.

When our store was a Musicstop, they sold Peavey but once L&M bought them out, that was probably roughly when they stopped. I thought I had heard a rumor some time ago that L&M were having difficulties dealing with Peavey on a few levels. So, now that they sell Spider amps, Fender Mustangs, Boss Katana & Marshall CODE/MG amps, it could be that they just told them that they don't need their business anymore and just dropped 'em.

That being said though, if you live in bigger cities like Montreal, Calgary, etc.. there are bound to be a few stores here & there that'll be carrying them. Sadly, it's not the case for places here in N.B. If I want to get a Peavey amp, it's either off Kijiji or online. :noplease:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Hmm I wouldn't say that, CH2/CH3 started life as the Green and Red Chans on a block letter, but we focused on the gain since the green channel was never really a clean channel. We also tweaked everything from there, but I would say it would be selling it short to call it just a 5150/5150II.

You seem to really dislike the idea of the amp. But just keep in mind that the amp's tone is the most important factor for me. At every juncture, and with every feature, the first question I was asking was if this would affect the tone negatively. The features you don't like or care for, you don't have to use. The loops by design are ULTRA clean and don't color the sound on or off.

Maybe this won't end up being the amp for you, but I would urge you to keep an open mind and actually try one before writing it off. You might be surprised!

I'm not really sure when these will be showing up at dealers because we literally just finished the latest revisions in time for this to show at NAMM, but the plan is to get all of this rolling ASAP!

Also, just so you know, by comparison, the 5150 is a pretty noisy amp. The engineer who I worked with on this, John Fields, told me how excited he was to finally get an opportunity to try to clear that up as much as possible. It's not quite as straight forward as it sounds because we had to clean it up without compromising the overall tone, and that was a time consuming process with a lot of A/Bing and testing to make sure we were only improving on the amp!

I think you understand EXACTLY why I wanted to make this amp haha.

Oh I don't Misha :cool:

I just haven't heard it yet :coffee:

I will most certainly be trying this out since I am at heart a Peavey lover!

I almost think it has to many feature a hahaah :ugh::wallbash:

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
ummm price??

edit!!!!- and really as good as any gate incorporated into an amp might be, i'm incredibly skeptical, plus i figure that the involved (to say the least) footswitch may jack price quite a bit

i've never had any issues with peavey loops, so i don't care if they have 320 of them

i do question the boost, or built in pre preamp thingy, or whatever you want to call it,

i just don't know, obviously i'm going to have to hear it, in person, to make any judgement,

i do respect the fact that misha's name isn't all over it, i really really like that

ciao

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So far so good, but the emphasis on US made has me scared what the price will be. If it's $2500+, pretty much getting into used SLO territory. Could be a debate for another place, but to me SLO is like a fancy-pants big metal 5150.

')