Peavey Invective MH vs 6505 MH

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you're all well...

So I made a comparison video of my Peavey Invective MH and my 6505 MH. Both are killer amps. They have the same tonal 'DNA' so to speak but they definitely don't sound the same although you can tweak them to sound similar with some of the tones. The 6505 MH is cheaper than the Invective so that's something to keep in mind but the Invective does come with some cool features such as the dedicated clean channel, the boost, the gate and the tight switch.

So here's my comparison. I hope it helps people out there to make a choice, I know that some of you are thinking about getting one of these. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them! Check it out:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Dang, no love on here? Love your demos. I’m on the fence in some ways about smaller amps. I’ve owned a few, no where near as many as you. I’ve had a Dark Terror, have a MT15, DSL15, and a 5150 50w stealth currently. Also a Randall RD1 and the new mini Friedman. The smaller transformers and tubes in the case of most of the smaller amps really seem to make a significant difference in the bass. The general tone is there, and I think with some post production you can make them sound like the bigger counterparts, but in the room they do sound a little “smaller”. Plus in my experience most of the smaller heads can’t really hang at band volume til you get to at least 25-30 watts. Great tones though, I’d probably pick the Invective. It sounds a bit more “modern”, IMO has better features, and I think it’s a better value overall because the bigger one is quite a bit more expensive than a full size 6505. Great demo!

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
I personally preferred the Invective here, as it seems to sound a little more alive and energetic, kinda like when you put new tubes in an amp.

Both sound great though!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Necrobump here, but I wanted to tell @Guitarjon this was an awesome comparison video. I’ve been watching all things 5150 for a few weeks now, and your videos on the Invectives (and Kyle Bull’s, too) made it suuuper easy for me to get an idea of how these things sound. The 6505MH is way cheaper used than the Invective MH (because they’re aren’t that many out there) but I just bought a used Invective MH because I really liked the tones with the boost and tight on. And then the low end sounded surprisingly good!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Necrobump here, but I wanted to tell @Guitarjon this was an awesome comparison video. I’ve been watching all things 5150 for a few weeks now, and your videos on the Invectives (and Kyle Bull’s, too) made it suuuper easy for me to get an idea of how these things sound. The 6505MH is way cheaper used than the Invective MH (because they’re aren’t that many out there) but I just bought a used Invective MH because I really liked the tones with the boost and tight on. And then the low end sounded surprisingly good!

Awesome! Great little amps, enjoy!

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score

I actually forgot to mention it but my friend brought his Invective MH over a couple weeks ago. I hadn’t tried it until then. That is a cool little amp! It sounds really good and has a decent feature set.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I got my Grogu sized Invective MH yesterday. (It was supposed to be Weds, but UPS pulled the "couldn't deliver, no one was at home" BS again.) Firstly, after only having full sized heads, this thing is totes adorbs. But man, it brings it! I'm shocked how much low end comes out of it. But the main reason I got it was @Guitarjon, Ola, and @BadSeed's demos showing the high gain channel with tight, boost, and gate all engaged. It's SO tight it almost sounds like the amp is off. :lol: I'm super happy with it already. It's the tone I've been looking for. I know it's no longer cool to like djenty tones, but I just really love that lower gain, super percussive, clanky, thin sound. Pretty much every setting sounds good, but it's honestly great with everything at noon. The tight is a super cool button, and unlike anything I've heard on another amp. I probably should have just gone Invective right away, because I love Misha's tone. But I was put off by all of the Invective release hijinks, and I honestly didn't like the demos of the full sized head. But, for $680 plus tax, this is going to be a fun little practice amp to mess around with. (I played it tonight through my VHT Fat Bottom 412, but I'll use this through my open back Mesa 112 EVM12L. But I have to grab a multimeter to confirm it's 8 ohm, because I honestly can't remember.)

Anyway, I prolly should do a proper NGD thread, but I figured I'd just hop in here to post.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I got my Grogu sized Invective MH yesterday. (It was supposed to be Weds, but UPS pulled the "couldn't deliver, no one was at home" BS again.) Firstly, after only having full sized heads, this thing is totes adorbs. But man, it brings it! I'm shocked how much low end comes out of it. But the main reason I got it was @Guitarjon, Ola, and @BadSeed's demos showing the high gain channel with tight, boost, and gate all engaged. It's SO tight it almost sounds like the amp is off. :lol: I'm super happy with it already. It's the tone I've been looking for. I know it's no longer cool to like djenty tones, but I just really love that lower gain, super percussive, clanky, thin sound. Pretty much every setting sounds good, but it's honestly great with everything at noon. The tight is a super cool button, and unlike anything I've heard on another amp. I probably should have just gone Invective right away, because I love Misha's tone. But I was put off by all of the Invective release hijinks, and I honestly didn't like the demos of the full sized head. But, for $680 plus tax, this is going to be a fun little practice amp to mess around with. (I played it tonight through my VHT Fat Bottom 412, but I'll use this through my open back Mesa 112 EVM12L. But I have to grab a multimeter to confirm it's 8 ohm, because I honestly can't remember.)

Anyway, I prolly should do a proper NGD thread, but I figured I'd just hop in here to post.

awesome!

do you play in a band? if so, i'm curious as to how it handles band volumes.

')