Peavey or Line 6?

• Thread starter indieguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
If you are playing out live and need the volume, I'd say go with the Peavey. They sound good (especially based on what you are trying to do) and they are very reliable. If you are a bedroom rocker (or doing home recording), I'd say get the Line 6. They sound good at lower volumes and you won't be beating them up on the road. The Peavey needs to get those tubes cooking in order to deliver the goods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
there is no reason at all to NOT buy a used 5150. 5150s are the AK-47s of the amp world. they will work, period.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
3. I like the 112's low end better and it was tighter and more chunky to me, probably due to the fact that the 112 has a closed-back cabinet and the 212 is open-back. I will say that the 212 had a more open raw tone to it though.

The 212 is definitely closed-back - it even says this on the description on the website. Maybe yours had the back removed before you got it? I bring this up, because the low end on the 212 combo is huge, which is one of the reasons I think it's one of the best hi-gain combo amps out there.

Reaction score
The 212 is definitely closed-back - it even says this on the description on the website. Maybe yours had the back removed before you got it? I bring this up, because the low end on the 212 combo is huge, which is one of the reasons I think it's one of the best hi-gain combo amps out there.

I bought my amp secondhand, and it had nothing on the back. You could see the back side of the speakers.
So I guess I should correct myself and say that MY 212 was openback :lol:

EDIT:
Ok I checked the pictures of the 212 on Musicians Friend, and yeah there definitely should've been a back plate on the amp :lol:
It's funny though cuz I assumed it was an open-back combo for the entire 6 months I had it.
558870.jpg

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I bought my amp secondhand, and it had nothing on the back. You could see the back side of the speakers.
So I guess I should correct myself and say that MY 212 was openback :lol:

EDIT:
Ok I checked the pictures of the 212 on Musicians Friend, and yeah there definitely should've been a back plate on the amp :lol:
It's funny though cuz I assumed it was an open-back combo for the entire 6 months I had it.
558870.jpg

:lol: yeah, it sounds significantly better with the back on ;) Awesome combo, for certain.

Reaction score
:lol: yeah, it sounds significantly better with the back on ;) Awesome combo, for certain.

Yeah I would guess so...I definitely preferred the 112's closed back.
However my TripleXXX combo is open back and sounds wonderful :yesway:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you go with Line 6, get either the new Spider Valve or an X3 Pro/power amp.

Reaction score
1. yes.
2. do you know what mic'ing an amp does...?

From what I've been told micing an amp is just putting a mic in front of the speaker so the sound comes out of the PA. But thats what I was told and thats what I've always thought it was.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
From what I've been told micing an amp is just putting a mic in front of the speaker so the sound comes out of the PA. But thats what I was told and thats what I've always thought it was.
I suspect he may have been breaking your balls, since the point of micing an amp is to feed it through the PA and thus enlouden it.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
kingpinMS3 said:
there is no reason at all to NOT buy a used 5150. 5150s are the AK-47s of the amp world. they will work, period.

you have been added to my signature

but on a more topical note, ive heard the 5150s/6505s played live before, they sound amazing, sadly in the band that im in, im using a Line 6 Spider III half stack (w/ B-52 cabinet)
while the load of amp models and effects are alright, probably not something i would use in live situations (merely for practice, which is where that line 6 stack is staying)

gonna be cashing in on a 5150II head whenever i get the money

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^Please do so. The Spider series is absolute ass. And this is coming from a Line 6 disciple.

brodjentle

Reaction score
This is what a lot of people forget when they decide to go for the 112 combo, they think they can just plug a cab in and it'll sound the same as the head :rolleyes:

dude are you kidding it's the same shit im rocking my mesa boogie rocket 440 which is a 4x10 combo and when I hook it up to my 4x12 it's the same thing as using a head... Same circuitry just a cab attatched to the bottom

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
dude are you kidding it's the same shit im rocking my mesa boogie rocket 440 which is a 4x10 combo and when I hook it up to my 4x12 it's the same thing as using a head... Same circuitry just a cab attatched to the bottom

The cab and the air it pushes are going to change the tone, but the head and combo should have the same circuit and sound similar. So, I am with you on this one...

Just wondering, but didn't Eddie use 5150 212 combos stacked on 412s for a while back in the late 90s? :scratch:

victim5150

Reaction score
The cab and the air it pushes are going to change the tone, but the head and combo should have the same circuit and sound similar. So, I am with you on this one...

Just wondering, but didn't Eddie use 5150 212 combos stacked on 412s for a while back in the late 90s? :scratch:

I'm pretty sure he did. I remember seeing pictures of that. I think it was on the Balance tour. I have a 5150 III halfstack, a blockletter 5150 halfstack and a 5150 combo. I love all three of them. The combo is a beast for that size amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The 5150 212 combo is literally the 5150II head slapped onto a 212 cab frame. It's a boat.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I own an Axe-FX, ENGL SE, ENGL e860, Laboga Mr. Hector Duo, two ENGL 412s, and 4 Vader cabs. Wanna know what I practice on at home? A Line 6 Spider III into a Legion 4x12. They are the two worst pieces of equipment I've ever played on. That being said...I can make a guitar scream through them. If you can sound good trough a Line 6, then more power to you.

')