Peavey Predator Exp with Full Scallop

• Thread starter Themadcow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum so I thought I'd share some pics of my practice guitar with you. The predator has one of the nicest necks i've ever played on, so I thought I would use this $239 guitar as a test run for my first scalloping job. I think it turned out very well, and I love the feel of the scallops.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_1207.jpg
    100_1207.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1201.jpg
    100_1201.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 57

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn good home job man. :agreed:

Those Peavey Predators and Raptors are GREAT project guitars.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Ya I was blown away by it. For the money I have an awesome guitar that I can leave out and not worry about my 3 year old wrecking :)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're so incline, take some 400 grit sandpaper to the scallops and leave some mineral oil on the board overnight. Oil it a couple more times over the next week and you'll start to see the board return to it's chocolaty brown color.

Themadcow

Reaction score
The pictures don't really do it justice, I've actually hit it with 600 grit. I haven't oiled it yet but I intend on it. I was just making sure that I had the skills to do the job before I try it on something nicer. I am looking at an agile 8 string right now, when I pick one up this will be the first thing I do to it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice. :)

I take it you're a player who digs his scallops. :lol:

Themadcow

Reaction score
Ya, I have always drooled over malmsteens scallops, but I have never been a big fender fan, so I finally decided to do it myself. There is definitely a cool feel to them, a light touch is required.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With the right frets the scallops feel like a dream. I have a scalloped RG7620 at the moment, and have had a few other scalloped guitars. I thought about doing it to one of my UV's, but it'd fuck with the inlays and/or binding. I might get a new scalloped neck at some point.

Themadcow

Reaction score
Ya my Scallops are really deep, and a couple of my inlays had to be repaired, I think I will make sure my next one has no markers, just one less thing to worry about.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work, looks like you did a good job, they look nice and even.

I prefer just getting really big frets to modding my boards, then again if I had low retail cost guitars to mod up I surely would. (physically, I do pickup/trem/wiring mods as is)

')