Peavey TripleXXX Dry Tone.. help ?

• Thread starter Battousai
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
Hi.. I've owned a Peavey TripleXXX Head for more than a year... whilei think the distortion on the amp is pretty good the tone is somewhat dry.. i still have stock tubes in it ...

Would changing tubes make a big difference?

Should i Change both Pre Amp and Power Amp tubes?

any suggestions to what tubes?

Thanks in Advance guys!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeL07

SS.org Sushi Whore
Reaction score
Changing the tubes will make a huge difference, if you search, there's a thread on the XX that gives the best tube config for the craziest sound! Look it up! :hbang:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
V1: Tung Sol 12ax7
V2: JJ 12DW7
V3: JJ ECC83S high gain
V4: JJ ECC83s

Power Tubes: Ruby EL34BSTR

= :hbang:

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
any place online where i can buy these tubes? also any one knows the tonal qualities of the tubes mentioned...

again thanks

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
Small Island in the Mediterranean sea right under Sicily.. i mean VERY small like Population 350,000. music shops here dont store many different tubes hence the need for buying online..

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm, where's malta?

Small Island in the Mediterranean sea right under Sicily.. i mean VERY small like Population 350,000. music shops here dont store many different tubes hence the need for buying online..

hmmm, where's sicily? :lol:

just kidding, but I can't think of any online places for your neck of the woods

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
So a set of JJ 6L6GC's
and a set of Tung Sol 12AX7's

now i forgot but does the Peavey auto Bias or do i have to take it to someone to do it for me?

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
tubedepot.com <--- I'd bet they'll ship to ya.

If you go with the JJ's get the ECC803's and not the ECC83's I have em in my Adown, and they're sick.

The Tung-Sol's also rip

and if you really want some low end high gain retention and don't want to flip for the Ruby EL34's check out the Electro-Harmonix 6CA7's... no

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
i dont actually know what you mean by low end gain retention.. can you explain that to me ? not that knowledgable on tubes

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
he means if you want tight low end, get x item.

what cab are you using?

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
well.... a lot of high gain pre-tubes will drive through the power tubes too hard.. and you can get some slop... that and a lot of EL34's tend to be more vocal and musical. The 6CA7's ( real one's, a lot of companies just 'rebottle' their EL34's in a bigger tube) tend to hold high-gain better and are tighter sounding, at the sacrifice of some of that saturated syrupy voice that is trademark EL34 tone.

The only difference I've noticed with the 6CA7, is when playing on the higher strings the sound gets slightly quacky(only picking quickly) but it's nothing a boost in EQ frequencies in that range can't fix.

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
right now ill stick with 6L6 tubes for now ill get the JJ 6L6's and probably the JJ ec803 u recommended me cos they seem interesting.. if i dont like em i just switch back to the old pre amps anyways

no one answered me on the bias thing tho

what cab are you using?

at the moment a cheap behringer cab but when i get enough cash ill probably get a marshall 60's cab

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
jj 6L6s
Tung Sol 12AX7s

completely transforms a XXX :hbang:

So do EL34s.

I actually love the dry tone of the Triple X. It's why I bought it. The cab has it too.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I didn't like the JJ ECC803 tube anywhere in my XXX but V1 (the first preamp tube) I would strongly suggest against a full set of them. They're microphonic and hi-fi sounding compared to ECC83's and can cause a lot of feedback. It did sound good in V1 but a Tung Sol is still a better option IMO.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
BUY A BETTER CAB!

tubes will help, yes, but that cab isnt helping any.

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
I didn't like the JJ ECC803 tube anywhere in my XXX but V1 (the first preamp tube) I would strongly suggest against a full set of them. They're microphonic and hi-fi sounding compared to ECC83's and can cause a lot of feedback. It did sound good in V1 but a Tung Sol is still a better option IMO.

wait a minute you can put different Pre amp tubes in each socket? whats the advantage of mixing them ?

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi.. I've owned a Peavey TripleXXX Head for more than a year... whilei think the distortion on the amp is pretty good the tone is somewhat dry.. i still have stock tubes in it ...

Would changing tubes make a big difference?

Should i Change both Pre Amp and Power Amp tubes?

any suggestions to what tubes?

Thanks in Advance guys!:hbang:

Change the amp

or try Ruby tubes

')