Peavey Valveking vs 6505+ vs ???

• Thread starter zipline7020
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Curveball: try a fender supersonic. The gain channel has a lot on tap, and the clean channel is what you'd expect. Probably less $$ than the EVH 5153 too, on the used market. Especially if you find a 60W marked as the 22 ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zipline7020

Reaction score
I'll look into the fender supersonic.
And yes the mk 3 is way out of my price range.

And i don't know if the 5153 would be right. The bands I listen to that use it are 7 dust, djent bands, and van Halen himself. And those tones are pretty different than what I'm chasing. It's the main reason I'm hesitant on the 6505. The bands I've heard of that play Are all chug all the time.

Then again too If I could find a place to let me try a 5153 or 6505/JSX/Xxx. I would. But even the licensed peavey dealers around me don't like those amps.

HK would also be a stretch around here.

I could probably go to Atlanta and find some cheaper marshals and oranges. But I think those would be too far in the sludge category.

Quite a dilemma eh? Haha

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If you can find a H&K, that would be sweet because Breaking Benjamin used one on We Are Not Alone (Ben used a Triamp, Aaron used a Duotone.)

There's also the Randall RM series, which Ben and Aaron used until they broke up. Ben used the RM50 with the Treadplate module, and Aaron used the RM100 with the XTC module. Rather fitting because I believe the dudes from Red used Rectos and Bogners. You can cover a lot of ground with an RM100 using one of the clean modules (clean or Blackface), an XTC or 1086, and a Treadplate module.

And if you want thick, clear, and tight gain with amazing cleans, the JSX is still a good suggestion. It's not as aggressive as the 6505/5150, but still has plenty on gain on tap.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I could probably go to Atlanta and find some cheaper marshals and oranges. But I think those would be too far in the sludge category.

Quite a dilemma eh? Haha

Go to Atlanta and try them all. That kinda settles it once and for all :p

zipline7020

Reaction score
Where? I've been calling all kinds of places in Atlanta, including guitar center. And if the shops carry tube amps at all, it's vintage combos and lunchbox amps only.

How do Atlanta people try gear?

Bearitone

Reaction score
The only two tube amps I own right now are the Valveking VK100 head, and the 6505 (not the 6505+)

My advice would be to stay away from the VK100 unless you plan on doing the Mesa mod. If I didn't do the mod I probably wouldn't still own it. It does thrash like nobody's business now. But, still doesn't sound as big and mean as the 6505.

Also I would take a 6505 over a 6505+. I read over and over that the clean channel isn't "that" much better than the regular 6505. Might as well save some money

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Where? I've been calling all kinds of places in Atlanta, including guitar center. And if the shops carry tube amps at all, it's vintage combos and lunchbox amps only.

How do Atlanta people try gear?

I guarantee that atlanta has a 6505.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
The 5150 series is one of the most used amps of all time in metal. I guarandamntee that way more bands than you realize have used it to record with, even if they use something different live for endorsement purposes. And the last thing I think of is djent bands when I think of the 5150.

Some metal bands that use or have used them (from Peavey.com):
Trivium
Bullet for my Valentine
Machine Head
Fear Factory
Divine Heresy
Andy Sneap
Asking Alexandria
August Burns Red
Black Dahlia Murder
Devil Wears Prada
Devin Townsend
Parkway Drive
Protest the Hero
Upon a Burning Body

5150 = 6505 = 5 12AX7 preamp tubes, shared EQ between 2 channels
5150II = 6505+ = 6 12AX7 preamp tubes (extra is for clean channel which sounds a lot better, less EVH dirt), separate EQ/resonance/presence controls
5153 = MIM Fender made (EVH branded) amp with 3 channels, dedicated Fender clean channel, refined lead channel with less "5150" hiss/fizz.

jsmalleus

Reaction score
I love the 5150 and 6505+ as much as the next guy (and the 5153 50w not nearly as much as everyone else seems to haha). But to be honest, for the kinda tones he's looking for, none of the 5150 crew would be the weapon I'd choose. Pulling from the peavey camp, I'd be shooting for the JSX. The triamp and some model bad cat (although it likely wan't the cougar 50 specifically) have both been used on BB albums, so that's why I think they're a safe bet. The 5150's slay, but that doesn't mean you should use them for everything, let's face it, the 5150 & 6505+ are raunchy ripping distortion monsters, and the 5153 is their younger, less hairy cousin. Of the three, the 5153 could maybe ballpark the bands he's mentioned, but he'd have to jump up in $ to the 100w, cauz at least on the 50w maintaining those pristine cleans seem to be a hassle live with the shared eq. And at that price point, I reckon there are some mesas to be had that could do the job better anyways.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, looking at what the OP is describing, I don't think he wants a 5150 or 6505. He doesn't want a "metalcore" sound, and half the bands you listed are metalcore USmarine. :lol:

Quite a few bands in the 2000s used Triamps. They're basically German-flavored Rectos. They have a bit more midrange than the Rectos, but still sound really huge. And as I said before, the JSX could do that sound no problem.

Another contender could be the Marshall DSL, or if you can get really lucky, a JVM205.

zipline7020

Reaction score
But all those bands are metalcore/chug metal. And the EVH artists list is the same. Lots of death metal/black metal/shred metal.

That's not the style I'm aiming for. The closest on the EVH artist list is seven dust and maybe 5 finger death punch. But those are both still mainly chug and shred.

Not riffing like the bands I listed at the begginning.

But I agree with you that both these amps are perfect for that tight, metal in your face sound.

zipline7020

Reaction score
Yes. Those Triamps are looking good now. I'm scouring Atlanta for a dealer to see for myself.

These suggestions are great.
I wouldn't mind a 6505/5153 someday. But I agree with the earlier statements.

zipline7020

Reaction score
Right now it's down to the JSX (if I can find one cheap),
The XXX

And some Triamp. Can't decide if mark 1 or mark 2, not sure what it all entails.

And I tried a few bad cats and they were all very vintage/80s hard rock voiced. What models have a modern tone?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

jsmalleus

Reaction score
The one I have is the bad cat cougar 50, it was an amp they had built overseas for a short time, coincidentally James Brown of 5150 fame had a hand in the design specs. I love the high gain tones on it and it could nail some BB. It's not one of their US built amps, so it comes with a more wallet friendly pricetag. I lucked out on timing and grabbed a head and later a combo when they were blowing them out sub $500 a while back.

Actually another amp he had a hand in designing that could do the kinda bands you mentioned is the Schecter hellraiser stage 100, which you can get brand new straight from their website under amplification for $769 shipped. I'd really like to make some clips before I run my mouth and hype it up too much, but it has great cleans and could do those kinda tones too. I remember there wasn't much on it on youtube other than like one good Jeff Loomis video. The original price tag was recockulous since they were just entering the amp game, so it didn't really take well & they have discontinued it. My band's EP should be out by the end of July so after that I'm gonna grab some tracks and it'll be game on in making some quick clips.

The $330 hughes & kettner Tube 100 FILTHnFEAR linked a few posts looks like it's about 5-6 hours out from you according to google. Not sure how much you hate driving, but I'd be getting in touch with that guy & seeing how flexible he is on the meeting spot haha. You could fetch at least that if it doesn't work out for ya & you don't mind shipping it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^Breaking Benjamin actually used a BadCat on the last 2 original lineup albums. Albeit blended with like 5 other amps.

zipline7020

Reaction score
Quick update, I didn't know the mark 1 would be a thousand used and the mark 2 1700$ used.

So that's out of the picture now. Maybe a future amp. So we're back to peavey. A lot of people have been saying online that the tube100 is too smooth to be used for anything heavy.

Also still looking into bad cat.

jsmalleus

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely don't pay that much for either of the triamps. I got my mk1 for $750 like three weeks ago and that was from GC lol. Right after I ordered that a dude sold a new open box mkII for $1050 on ebay (after getting no bids on $999 and relisting a second time) and a used one went for $850 + shipping.

The one I linked earlier that is still active got no bids on his $800 mk1 and lives in Loganville, GA. Ebay takes 10%, paypal takes 3%, plus you could pick it up in person (and probably test it too), so a little messaging might improve your prospects *wink wink nudge nudge say no more*

Plenty of other amps to choose from though, so if you don't feel like wheeling & dealing with the triamps, that's totally understandable.

zipline7020

Reaction score
Oh no they sounded great, though I couldn't find a definitive list of bands that used them or a recording in that style. I really wanted to try one. The prices I listed were from a quick eBay search. But I'll keep digging. Thanks!

')