Peavey Windsor question.

• Thread starter zipline7020
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zipline7020

Reaction score
So I haven't seen a lot of talk about the peavey Windsor being used for low tuned rock and metal.

But I was wondering: since the JCM800 is one of THE metal amps, used by radio rock and death metal alike. Couldn't the Windsor then be an amazing metal amp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It can be. The one I had needed new tubes, and it didn't sound very good. Sold it on pretty quick, as it was a second amp.

I'd rather have the JCM800 TBH (or laney AOR etc).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Like he said, the AOR is also worth checking out. Or the Peavey Butcher, which is even closer to a JCM than the Windsor.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I could be mistaken but it wasn't so much the Windsor but the Valveking that was kinda so-so but with some tweaking could get a passable metal tone.

zipline7020

Reaction score
That's interesting. I've heard of the butcher. But I've never heard anyone talk about the butcher, nor the valve king as far as versatility even into the low tuned stuff.

Care to go into specifics?

Spinedriver

Reaction score
That's interesting. I've heard of the butcher. But I've never heard anyone talk about the butcher, nor the valve king as far as versatility even into the low tuned stuff.

Care to go into specifics?

Sadly, no one around my neck of the woods carries Peavey anymore so I haven't had the chance to try out the new VK II. From what I remember though, the Butcher (it seems to heave been discontinued) was originally designed to sound like a Marshall and a several years ago was re-issued to an apparently lackluster welcome. The Valveking (now the VK II) also has a bit less gain than the 6505 series but with a boost in front isn't horrible by any means. I tried one of the originals out at a store a long time ago and was really considering it but I went for a Randall T2 they had in stock instead because I prefer solid state/hybrid amps over full-on tube amps.

If you have the chance, the VK might be worth checking out simply because of the price. There's a ton of 'em on Reverb for less than $500 and like I said, with a boost in front and an eq in the loop it might be something you'd like.

wakjob

Reaction score
Even the Windsor has that typical erratic-buzzsaw Peavey type gain to my ears.
Not very classic sounding IMO.
Decent amp otherwise.

Prices on JCM800's are silly now.
My first 2205 and 2203 were $275-400 used in great shape.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Even the Windsor has that typical erratic-buzzsaw Peavey type gain to my ears.
Not very classic sounding IMO.
Decent amp otherwise.

Prices on JCM800's are silly now.
My first 2205 and 2203 were $275-400 used in great shape.

What are they actually going for now?

I see them get listed for $1800CAD, but I don't know what they've actually been selling for. There's a '75 plexi for $1900CAD right now, I want it :lol:

zipline7020

Reaction score
I've seen mixed things about the valveking ii 100. How do y'all feel about it as far as versatility? And doing stuff below drop C?
The only one I've seen in a huge radius from me is one store had a 20 watt. But for lower stuff I've heard you need a higher wattage without the EL84.

wakjob

Reaction score
What are they actually going for now?

I see them get listed for $1800CAD, but I don't know what they've actually been selling for. There's a '75 plexi for $1900CAD right now, I want it :lol:

Since Marshall reissued the 2203 and 4100, people think that their OEM's are worth the equal value.
And ebay isn't a very good indicator of current market value either.

Used JCM 800's (any model) in my area start at $900-$1,000.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Since Marshall reissued the 2203 and 4100, people think that their OEM's are worth the equal value.
And ebay isn't a very good indicator of current market value either.

Used JCM 800's (any model) in my area start at $900-$1,000.

Apparently a couple have sold for the higher asking price.

I wish I got an 800 when they were disliked and $700 a piece. Ah well, live and learn.

zipline7020

Reaction score
Yea I've seen that video before! Great tone.

I just wanted a few more opinions.

But now I'm also interested in the new valve King

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
There's a lotta garbage in that circuit that needs snipped and changed to get it back to an 800 circuit and usable. For $350 you can get a VTM and be way happier with no mods. I heard one recently that was recapped and it was raw and nasty. As for the Butcher reissue, it sounded nothing like the original or VTM. They really missed the mark on that one. Amp was complete mush.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah,I remember reading the reissue sucked. It was either you or someone else I saw that said that.

As for the Butcher/VTM, it's heavily based on the JCM, but has a rawer, darker, sludgier sound to it. Probably some very slightly different circuitry and the 6L6 tubes, because doom guys seem to love these amps.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the one guitarist in Superheaven uses a VTM, and holy .... did it sound glorious. He was using pedals for dirt, good clean base.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
My doom/stoner buddy bought a VTM60 not long ago. Tried a couple different OD's. I was pretty impressed with the sound we got out of it.

Think he paid like around $200 for it.

')