Peavey XXX cab with 6505/5150?

espmetalhead

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here so be easy on me.

Was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the Peavey XXX cab? I run a modded 6505 and I've been using this cab with it for a while, was thinking of switching to a different cab as the general consensus of Peavey cabs is that they are "crap". I ran my head side by side with the XXX cab and a Marshall 1960a (too scooped) and some Vintage 30 cabs, my friend that owns a studio liked the XXX cab better than the V30 cabs. I thought the V30's were a little more alive sounding but not as tight. Curious what everyone's thoughts were. Played some bigger gigs with this setup recently and get consistently positive feedback about the sound, but if it could be better I'm all for it.

:hbang:

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking from 1st hand experience, some of the baffle board cuts don't match up squarely at all.
It's a slightly slanted baffle (on the bottom cabs) and needs to be cut and mounted dead on. The one I used to have was way off and there was gaps across the top and one of the sides.
Surely most are cut right, but that's not good quality control IMO.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I have a XXX slant that I like. I had a single V30 installed in their to mic, but I found out I liked the XXX speaker better than the V30 for close micing. The XXX speaker is reminiscent of the V30 but has a broader presentation. It doesnt have the sizzle on top that a GT75 has not quite as spiky as the v30.

There were no construction problems with my cab, its a great cab, but its all subjective. It can absolutely handle huge bass and stay tight.

Cabs are big and easily seen on stage, so they are kinda like a bulletin board advertizement for whatever amp company. I have played for many years and that is the only real objection most people have.

espmetalhead

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the replies. I took the back off mine and it was built pretty well, after tightening all the screws it's a little tighter. I took the Peavey logo off for that reason, they grey looks cool with the 6505 in a live in case. :yesway:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If you like the sound then there's no reason to change :2c:

Your cab may benefit from having the inside edges caulked to make a tighter seal, but if it is well-built it may not be a very noticeable difference anyway.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
My first rig was a 6505+ through a XXX slant cab. It lasted me quite a while, and I had it sounding really good. I opted to upgrade in the long run though. I wanted a straight cab and something that could handle the lows a little better.

Honestly if you're happy with it, stick with it!

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i have no experience with the XXX cabs, but having used many of the peavey cabs, the JSX 4x12 was actually quite a nice sounding cab for the 6505, liked it better than a marshall, an orange, and a mesa recto cab.

now my go to cab is the mesa traditional/stiletto sized cabs as they are tighter in the low end than the rectos, and i wasn't able to compare to that one, but the JSX cab was def a winner for me at the time, dunno if they make this kinda cab anymore either

espmetalhead

Reaction score
i have no experience with the XXX cabs, but having used many of the peavey cabs, the JSX 4x12 was actually quite a nice sounding cab for the 6505, liked it better than a marshall, an orange, and a mesa recto cab.

now my go to cab is the mesa traditional/stiletto sized cabs as they are tighter in the low end than the rectos, and i wasn't able to compare to that one, but the JSX cab was def a winner for me at the time, dunno if they make this kinda cab anymore either

The JSX cabs were cool, they had direct outs I think? A friend of mine tours professionally with a larger metal band really likes her Mesa cab. You guys convinced me to stay with this until I can afford a Splawn! lol

jase

Reaction score
I used the XXX 412 with a 5150 for a couple of years before switching to a mesa rectifier 412. The XXX was my first 412, and I thought it sounded pretty decent for the the price. I also used the 1960 cab for a while but the XXX would cut through a band mix easier.

The XXX sounded quite harsh to my ears and it has less low end than the mesa. Playing through it without a full band mix, it sounded crap. Within a band mix, it wasn't not bad. The speakers have a taste of V30 qualities but if your ears are OK with your current rig, don't change it. If you just have GAS, then try something new for some inspiration!

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I did this mod, as I had a Triple XXX and the other guitarist of my former band had a 6505 that sounded too muddy to her taste. I ....ing love the result

IMG_20140528_1432271.jpg

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
The JSX cabs were cool, they had direct outs I think? A friend of mine tours professionally with a larger metal band really likes her Mesa cab. You guys convinced me to stay with this until I can afford a Splawn! lol

My band mate uses a splawn loaded with v30s with his 6505, and it's crushing as ....