Pedal dilemma. .

• Thread starter Hellfury
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
Pedal Dilemma. .

I was given the pedal board setup but don't understand the shit of it. :lol:Alongside are unattached pedals; Route 66. Ibanez Tube Screamer, BOSS Distortion DS1, and an "AKAI E2 Head Rush" . . would It be worth adding these pedals to the loop?

Any basic advice would be much appreciated

BTW genres I'm interested in are mostly black metal, death metal, and power metal

Another thing I was thinking about is just getting a BOSS GT-10. . but I'm not really sold on that idea..

Amps being used are http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/stiletto/stilettoDeuce-Trident.htm with 4x12 MESA cab
and http://line6.com/spideriv75/ with http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvshortboardmkii.html and Roland Cube 30 lol

Forgive me if I sound like a cocky richkid. .

Thanks in advance,
Justin:wavey:

EDIT: The pic isn't very clear so I'll take down the exact names and model numbers later

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
none of those pedals need to be in your loop, since im pretty sure that all 4 of the pedals you listed are distortion or overdrive pedals.

why do you have 4 drive pedals, if you dont mind my asking? what are you looking to achieve?

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
LOL I was given them all. .

I'm looking primarily at ease of use. .

and I'm tryna get a Behemoth kinda sound

there are 2 stereo chorus pedals I think. . and the red one is some compressor type thing I think:/

But then again I might as well look at some decent metal guitars aswell lol. . the guitars I have are listen below

I_infect

Reaction score
guitar>tubescreamer>mesa adjust knobs as necessary. Sell the rest.

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
I'm thinking that too lol. . but I don't really need the cash to be honest. . and yeah that tube scremer is awesome...I do believe in the principle of not hording too much crap thogh lol

I've been heavily advised against multi-effects pedals. .:squint:

and I'm not really too interested in the "purist" idea lol. . I'm all for modern technology

while i still have a thread that's being replied to. . what guitar should I get for a Behemoth type sound? Price not really an issue

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
there's for and against for single stomps as well as multi's. Use what suits your needs!

I bet there's a lot more to behemoth's sound than you think. When you hear the album, you are not just hearing 2 guitars: you're hearing 2 guitars probably double or quad tracked, you're hearing 1 or 2 tracks of the bass, the drum mix, the 3 or 4 different vocal takes - and you're hearing the band as a unit, not each individual piece together. I don't listen to behemoth so i cant say much past that, but unless you're going for their live sound.. i'unno.

I'd look for a metal sound you like, personally. I'm willing to bet that the right settings on your mesa + a boost + the right speakers and a decent bucker int he bridge of your guitar will get you into the ballpark quite quickly.

but as for a "what guitar?" - make the thread ;)

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
lol. . people are impatient with noobs though. .

random opinion q, of all the guiars in my signature (not trayna be vain), what would you use to achieve that kinda sound?

forgive me if I sound like a retard

I'm sure what I have might be able to pull it off. .

The person I got all of the stuff from (my father) was an old rocker and blues guy

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
erg. . thought it was showing :/

Guitars: PRS Mira, PRS Custom24, PRS 513, PRS hollowbody2 with piezzo, PRS SE paul allender, Les paul standard, USA strat standard, tele USA deluxe, gibson firebird studio, modified '74 les paul, gibson es335

one can see Behemoth's in the vid (link below) . .guitar and bass tracking

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
it shows in another thread, but i cant see it int his one.

did you inherit those guitars? You should post some pics, we'd love to see the collection :).

part of the sound is also in how you play the guitar, not just what guitar you're playing. is the mesa a combo or a halfstack? The mesa + a boost + the right speakers + good playing, you should be able to ballpark what i heard in that clip.

JamesGregory

stereotypicalemgfan
Reaction score
I work a lot with pedals, and how you set them up in the chain vs the loop will affect your sound, purely for playing death/black/grind type metal I would use something like an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal for the distortion through the clean channel if the amp isn't giving you that saturated heavy sound, or a Keeley Modded Metal Zone. They're relatively inexpensive and sound good, and also don't suck bass out of your sound like stock Boss distortions tend to do.
I run a lot of pedals at times, the only ones I'd put thru the FX loop are Delays, Reverbs, and whammy.
You can chain all your modulation such as chorus, phaser, flanger etc. If I were running your rig, I'd go Tuner(for a tuner to be most accurate you want to run straight from guitar to tuner if you can), Wah, Distortion/Overdrive, Modulating pedals, and straight to the amp, then the aforementioned pedals in the loop.

And a guitar for that Behemoth tone I'd lean to what they're using, ESP 7 string or equivalent Schecter with EMG 707s.

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
it shows in another thread, but i cant see it int his one.

did you inherit those guitars? You should post some pics, we'd love to see the collection :).

part of the sound is also in how you play the guitar, not just what guitar you're playing. is the mesa a combo or a halfstack? The mesa + a boost + the right speakers + good playing, you should be able to ballpark what i heard in that clip.

lol yeah I inherited them. . dad doesn't play anymore...you can see pics of some of them in standard guitars -.post random pics of your 6s. The PRSs are beatiful . .just not my type and I feel too paranoid to touch them lol

The MESA is just a head. . 100w valve.. and 4x12 cab. . The Line6 I won't bother with

I work a lot with pedals, and how you set them up in the chain vs the loop will affect your sound, purely for playing death/black/grind type metal I would use something like an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal for the distortion through the clean channel if the amp isn't giving you that saturated heavy sound, or a Keeley Modded Metal Zone. They're relatively inexpensive and sound good, and also don't suck bass out of your sound like stock Boss distortions tend to do.
I run a lot of pedals at times, the only ones I'd put thru the FX loop are Delays, Reverbs, and whammy.
You can chain all your modulation such as chorus, phaser, flanger etc. If I were running your rig, I'd go Tuner(for a tuner to be most accurate you want to run straight from guitar to tuner if you can), Wah, Distortion/Overdrive, Modulating pedals, and straight to the amp, then the aforementioned pedals in the loop.

And a guitar for that Behemoth tone I'd lean to what they're using, ESP 7 string or equivalent Schecter with EMG 707s.

Awesome shot man!:D

I find the HardWire pedals to be pretty cool. . The BOSS gt-10 just looks pretty and has that LCD lol and I'm somewhat of a geek

Problem is I dunno where to get Schecter in South Africa without importing

yeah I need something with EMGs lol. . just something I have to do..

The '74 modified Les Paul I have has DiMarzio super distortions and 2 added 2-way toggles

The PRS SE Paul allender is pretty cool..but the other PRSs just crap all over it. . and the 513 and so on I don't feel worthy enough to play

JamesGregory

stereotypicalemgfan
Reaction score
There's gotta be a place in Cape Town or Joburg where you can get the guitar you're looking for, otherwise, yeah just buy one and have it shipped dude!

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
I want to stick to basics for now. . It's just too much to get muddled up with for now

There's gotta be a place in Cape Town or Joburg where you can get the guitar you're looking for, otherwise, yeah just buy one and have it shipped dude!

I tried Marshall Music which is pretty much the best in SA but i'll try get them to import for me:)

Off topic - my dad bought the '74 modified les paul for $150 lol. not worth anything to collectors but i reckon it's pretty cool. eager to try out those Super distortions

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't run an MT-2 into the clean channel of that, it wont sound like what I heard on that clip.

what's the 412 you have? what settings do you use right now, and how loud do you play?

Hellfury

Black F***ing Metal!
Reaction score
Took a better picture of the board (below)

Pedals in order (input ->output): Cry Baby -> MXR Dyna Comp -> HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> BOSS Chromatic Tuner -> BOSS CH-1 SUPER Chorus -> HardWire Valve Distortion -> HardWire Metal Distortion -> HardWire CR-7 Stereo Chorus -> HardWire DL-8 Delay/Looper

Board bag (below)

Pedals not in picture: Ibanez Tube Screamer, Route 66 American Overdrive, BOSS DS-1 Distortion, AKAI E2

The said amplifier (below)

Sideshot of the head (below)

Weird AKAI pedal thing lol (below)

[URL=http://img136.imageshack.us/i/akai.jpg/]
[/URL]

I wouldn't run an MT-2 into the clean channel of that, it wont sound like what I heard on that clip.

what's the 412 you have? what settings do you use right now, and how loud do you play?

Haven't even touched them yet, yet to play:lol:massive time constraints. and with regards to volume . .fairly lound. . have some sort of soundproofing in the room

Thought I'd seek some decent advice before I even attempt anything. . It confusesmthe shit out of me:squint:

I literally just got all the stuff. .

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
just go straight into the amp and take your time from there. you have years to try to figure out the wide world of guitar :)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go...

Guitar---tuner---compressor----wah+distortion (experiment with which way round you want them, as that's purely a matter of taste)---amp.

...and throw the chorus, then the delay/looper in your effects loop.

A good rule of thumb with your effects (although nothing's an absolute) is anything that affects gain (compressors and distortion) first, then modulation (chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo), and delay/reverb last.

Also, experiment with whether you want to get your distortion by using a pedal to distort a sparkly clean amp, or whether you want to rely on the amp's gain, and use a pedal to drive it a little harder (by turning the level up, and gain down on the pedal, and running it into an already distorted amp).

A lot of this is just taste I'm afraid, so your best bet would probably be to just bottle down and spend an afternoon experimenting.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
hell, spend a week experimenting!

')