Pedal platform and tone stacking

• Thread starter BrentSSL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
Ok so I have been on a long quest to make a pedal platform rig. I finally found the perfect Preamp a Dr Boogie Pedal I found on GC used site. However it's missing a little sizzle. Currently I am using a magnum 44 as my power amp, a ltd explorer with EMG pickups 81s to be exact, and a bad monkey to boost along with an ISP for a noise gate. Now over all I am getting great tones and feel with my current setup. But I want my tone to be less dry and a little bit more saturated and a less "robotic" sounding. Is it the pickups the power amp or the boost that I need to change to get a little more wetness out of my tone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Well the 81 is very compressed so switching to a mid/high output passive will certainly add more harmonic overtones. Maybe look into a reverb pedal and just add a small amount to create some depth amidst the “dry” tight sound you currently have. Just place it after the Dr Boogie pedal into the 44 mag.
The Bad Monkey is a great TS alternative, and the gate shouldn’t affect the saturation while playing.
When I used EMG’s once upon a time, I think I utilized the chorus effect in my old G major to de tune a couple cents to try and manufacture some harmonic depth. It worked pretty well; but ultimately I decided to give passives a shot and have never looked back

BrentSSL

Reaction score
Awesome thank you for responding. I agree EMGS can make things a bit stale do you think I would be better off with a different power amp or a tube power amp of some sort?

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
the dr boogie has trimmers inside the pedal that bias the transistors. you can probably adjust them a bit to get more saturation out of them. a tiny adjustment goes a long way.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
I opened it I didn't see anything I'll have to look again any Idea what those lol like or how to do that I'm not tech savvy like that

Shask

Reaction score
This is interesting, because as far as I know, the Dr. Boogie is a DIY pedal. I don't think you can buy them commercially, so I wonder who built it. I know I have thought about building one many times, and might in the future.

Trimmers are little things you can turn with a screwdriver that are on the circuit board. You have to bias the JFET transistors in that design.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
You might try throwing a graphic EQ in front of the preamp and boost the bass frequencies just a touch. That'll get your signal pretty wet sounding.

bhakan

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that pedal, but some of those "preamp" pedals are still meant to be run in front of an amp instead of into a power amp. Maybe running it into a good clean channel might give it a little extra warmth?

BrentSSL

Reaction score
Well I'm take a pic of the inside but the trim parts are pretty obvious they are numbered
T1-4 but which one does what there a 6 knobs

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
There are 5 transistors inside. 1 and 2 are the ones that impact gain and overall tone. Transistor 5 is a buffer and doesn’t need biasing

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
3rd and 4th bias the 3rd and 4th transistors. They have an impact on saturation but not as much as 1 and 2

BrentSSL

Reaction score
So do I need an ohm meter or voltage meter to adjust the trim pots or can I just turn them a little?

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
You don’t need a multi meter but it will make it easier to get it back to where it is now if you don’t like the changes.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
Ok I think I'm going to try to finger out how to use a multi meter then.
Shred aholic any suggestions of a power amp?

')