Pedal Suggestions

Pensilac

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some advice on a few different pedals I plan to get to go with my EVH 5153. I'm looking to get a fuzz, possibly a new OD to replace my Bad Monkey, a reverb pedal, and maybe a delay/echo pedal at some point.

For fuzz, I'm mainly something that'll give me a half way decent doom/stoner tone. Looking for something to get me somewhere in the ballpark of Belzebong, Sleep, or Electric Wizard. I really like the tone on the song "Madness Of An Architect" by High On Fire also and had read that the Pharaoh was used on it. I've been mainly thinking about either a Pharaoh or a Musket/Blunderbuss but I really can't decide and have no way of trying either in person to help. Been also looking at an EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Would prefer a little flexibility in the tone to get some classic fuzz tones if possible as well. Don't really want to spend more than $200 on the fuzz.

For reverb, I've been mainly going between either a Strymon Blue Sky or a Hardwire Supernatural. Can't try either of these either but from what I've seen on youtube as well as read around the internet, they seem to be pretty decent. Looking to get a good Spring reverb sound but also would like to be able to get some modulated effects out of whatever I get as far as reverb goes. Budget for a reverb is no more than the price of a Blue Sky used.

For the OD, I'm looking for something to be mostly just used as a clean boost. I like the added bass and treble eq on the Bad Monkey but am not liking that it isn't true bypass so I have been pretty set on getting a Way Huge Green Rhino. Have not seen much mention of the GR being used as a clean boost so just not 100% on it yet, I'm sure it'd be fine though. Any other suggestions for a flexible OD would be helpful. Not really looking to spend more than $100 on an OD.

For the delay, I've been looking at either the Catalinbread Echorec or a TC Electronics Alter Ego. I really like the Echorec sound so I'd like something that can at least get me that sound, anything extra would just be a bit of a bonus I suppose. I usually use rather short delay times so really long delay times are not necessary. Budget for a delay is around $200 I guess.

So yeah, I need a Reverb, Fuzz, OD, and Delay/Echo pedal. I have a HD500 so don't suggest a multifx please. I'm always watching the dismal used market around here so don't need help in that department. I mainly play metal but plan on using the reverb and delay mainly for clean/low gain playing; sorta trying to go for an ISIS vibe with those 2.

I apologize for such a long post. :spock:
shrug.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Fuzz: The Pharoah, LSTR, and Hoof are great.
OD: I've got a Green Rhino and it's good. Not much experience with others.
Delay: I have no experience with those so I'll also mention the Carbon Copy, Supa Puss, and Dispatch Master.
Reverb: Again, I have no experince with those so I'll mention the Dispatch Master which has Delay and Reverb so that might save you some money. Also, the Holy Grail is a decent cheap reverb.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Fuzz: never used one, so :shrug:
OD: I like my Maxon OD808, but the GR looks more flexible
Delay: Carbon Copy or TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Reverb: never really used any, just the built-in one on my MarkV

You'll also want to pick up a Decimator or other gate if you don't already have one :2c:

Pensilac

Reaction score
Fuzz: never used one, so :shrug:
OD: I like my Maxon OD808, but the GR looks more flexible
Delay: Carbon Copy or TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Reverb: never really used any, just the built-in one on my MarkV

You'll also want to pick up a Decimator or other gate if you don't already have one :2c:

I thought I'd need a noise gate of some sort too when I was first buying the amp but at the volumes I usually play at, I get no noise at all really. I don't really have any interest in gigging ever so don't see myself ever needing one with this amp.

The carbon copy seems nice but I'm looking for something that can get the Echorec sound mostly so my choices seem quite limited in that respect.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
I have a keeley fuzz but its not that fuzzy IMO

overdrive - For a lighter overdrive I would check out a xotic BB or AC booster. I don't know what you will find at that price you mentioned. Closest would be a Fulltone OCD which are awesome pedals. I still think the xotic stuff is the best.

Reverb - I tried a hardwire and ironically found it to be not so natural sounding. It sounded very digital. I would get the strymon.

Delay - checkout the diamond delays. lovepedal echo baby is nice and small. lovepedal the catalina sounds great too.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Ehx Cathedral reverb pedal it has excellent delay built in to. I use Ibanez ts9dx modified overdrive I got for $40 so far its my favorite I've used. The green Rhino looks badass tho. Sleep uses a Dod 250 you can snag em on ebay cheap

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the ear sex that the BlueSky is. The different styles of reverb give you options. Plus with it you can save a favorite and switch between it and the current dialed in reverb.
And for OD the Green Rhino is amazing.

Pensilac

Reaction score
Reverb - I tried a hardwire and ironically found it to be not so natural sounding. It sounded very digital. I would get the strymon.

When I first saw PGS's video on the Supernatural I kinda thought the same thing so was a little afraid of that. Thanks for the input!

You can't go wrong with the ear sex that the BlueSky is. The different styles of reverb give you options. Plus with it you can save a favorite and switch between it and the current dialed in reverb.
And for OD the Green Rhino is amazing.

Yeah, the Blue Sky seems to have the upper hand as far as quality goes from what I can tell. Ended up finding a Strymon dealer about an hour away so tomorrow hopefully I'll try it out and see for myself!

Seems like the Green Rhino is pretty popular around here, makes my decision a bit easier.

Thanks again for all the responses everyone. If anyone else has anything to add, feel free to do so. :yesway:

coldandhomeless

Reaction score
Fwiw- joyo baby boom series pedals 40-50$
Joyo fuzz star 3 modes
Joyo overdrive 3 modes
Joyo reverb 3 modes
Joyo delay 3 modes
Joyo noise gate- copy of a decimator 1
Baby boom series pedals got what u need cheap.
They so cheap....why the hell not.
Or nux brand pedals. Time factor, mod factor, and drive factor.
Also cheap and badass. Chinese but badass. Youtube has reviews of all that stuff. Give it a shot.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
As far as fuzz goes, the Blackout Effectors Musket jsut can't be beat IMO. The Pharaoh is pretty awesome too, but he Musket will just do everything and the built-in boost allows you to use it like an overdrive (not in a metal context as a booster, but in terms of rolling off volume knob on the guitar for an overdrive).

')