People looking down on you for a Peavey rig?

• Thread starter Thanatopsis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
hilariously things have come full circle. People are now trying to get axe fx to sound like 5150s
And think this is the point that a lot of the tube snobs don't really get. I mean, sure, that's the first thing that one would say "yeah, go buy a GSP or AxeFx etc to sound like a 5150".....uh, yeah? That's kind of the point? I've got a 5150, i also have a GSP as well. Which one do i play? The GSP. Why? Because i like the added flexibility that it brings along with more effects that i could ever want/need, controlled entirely by midi, neat setup - just a midi and expression pedal (no tap dancing with a huge pedal board), oh!......and it sounds just like my peavey.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Warg Master

Weeping strings...
Reaction score
I have always had a soft spot for peavey. Have a peavey 50/50 for some stuff. They make great amps. .... Anyone who looks down on you for anything!

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
And think this is the point that a lot of the tube snobs don't really get. I mean, sure, that's the first thing that one would say "yeah, go buy a GSP or AxeFx etc to sound like a 5150".....uh, yeah? That's kind of the point? I've got a 5150, i also have a GSP as well. Which one do i play? The GSP. Why? Because i like the added flexibility that it brings along with more effects that i could ever want/need, controlled entirely by midi, neat setup - just a midi and expression pedal (no tap dancing with a huge pedal board), oh!......and it sounds just like my peavey.

This is so true i just cant live without the flexibility of my modelling rig now.

i'll probably pick up another tube amp at some point as they are cool to play with but i doubt it would leave the house much

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I don't care what you're using - if someone else is judging you based on your rig rather than your performance, the problem is on THEIR end, not yours. Even if you have a Fender goddamn Frontman.

Damn right. What's really funny is when the dude on the Frontman opens up, playing his balls off, then the next band's guitarists rolls up with a $5000 vintage marshall stack and can barely play. The audience is not going to be impressed by dude's amp.

Even over at TGP it seems the mob is more accepting of Peavey these days.

I sometimes get a similar reaction from sound guys when i show up with my Pod HD rig. They worry, and rightfully so because some folks dial it in like a chalkboard. But once they hear it, all is forgiven, on both sides. If my tone sucked, the other guitarist in our band would be all over me - and i'm glad to have that check in place.

vick1000

Reaction score
This reminds me of when I was playing out in a Death Metal band, and one of the bands sharing our practice space was doing shows with us. I was using a Crate GX130 full stack, and their single guitarist was using about $4K in rack gear and a single 4x12 to play Sabbath covers. He was constantly "borrowing" one of my 4x12s to give him a full stack. During their set he would put tape over the Crate emblem, I shit you not.

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
No,and you can't beat a 5150 for the price.
But on the other hand I'm lucky enough to LOVE Dean, so I can snag usa RC7's for 600-1000bucks whenever people need a skerversen or whatever overpriced nonsense is popular that week :) kinda the same concept.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
yeah regardless of their thoughts or knowledge of other peavey products, all you have to say is 5150. you have a ton of other arguments as well, but 5150.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Damn right. What's really funny is when the dude on the Frontman opens up, playing his balls off, then the next band's guitarists rolls up with a $5000 vintage marshall stack and can barely play. The audience is not going to be impressed by dude's amp.

Somehow reminds me of this, though neither guitarist is great, everyone flipped their shit about the kid with the bigger amp because he was more showy, even though the other kid was - in my opinion - the better player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPdyCSXNjPA

jbailes

Reaction score
I think part of this misguided perception of Peavey is EVH and Satch leaving. I know George Lynch was working with Peavey for a while, but nothing ever came into fruition. In all honesty, I believe that Peavey's R&D dept learned quite a bit from EVH in the development of the 5150 series amps. And it shows in the other amp lines that they have. Peavey make amps of high quality and durability.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
If someone looks down on you for a peavey rig (especially when it comes to metal) they are a fvcking poser. Straight up. Laugh at their shit bar band (if they even have that) and walk away :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think part of this misguided perception of Peavey is EVH and Satch leaving.

^It goes WAAAAAAAAAY further than that. I'd even argue that Peavey hate goes all the way back to the '80s.

I know George Lynch was working with Peavey for a while, but nothing ever came into fruition.

Fun fact:

peavey-xxx-head-800x600.gif

This was originally meant to be the George Lynch signature amp. :D

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
^It goes WAAAAAAAAAY further than that. I'd even argue that Peavey hate goes all the way back to the '80s.
The 80s were before my time gear-wise(born in 80) but I can definitely vouch for it going back to 92-93 or so. When I got a VTM120 in 96 or 97, I didn't even know what it was. I just tried it out at Daddy's Junky Music(people from the Boston area will know them), loved it and it was only $200 so I bought it. That was my first tube amp and I never looked back but people always looked at it like "WTF is that thing", until they heard it.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Hm... only thing I would roll my eyes at is if they run a multi effects pedal (like a Boss GT10) as their main tone/distortion through the clean channel of a 5150... Which yes, I have seen used, and it sounded about as good as it sounds. Otherwise as has been said before many times, it is just ignorance if they look down on a Peavey. Heck Even their solid state stuff isn't half bad.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
My 3120 is my baby. I've had countless people tell me that they'd love to jam on it. With the right pickups and cab hooked up to it, my heavy riffs decimate the place. The main advantage it has over, say a 6505+, is that it is a 3 channel, footswitchable amp with a great clean tone.

Peavey haters can fuck right off. While their rig craps out over a bad update patch, my tank of an amp will keep right on going. :agreed:

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Started off with a Peavey pignose, and proud of it.

Senior

Reaction score
The 80s were before my time gear-wise(born in 80) but I can definitely vouch for it going back to 92-93 or so. When I got a VTM120 in 96 or 97, I didn't even know what it was. I just tried it out at Daddy's Junky Music(people from the Boston area will know them), loved it and it was only $200 so I bought it. That was my first tube amp and I never looked back but people always looked at it like "WTF is that thing", until they heard it.

Peavey hate goes as far back as the 70s in fact. They were country/lap steel amps, but they were loud, reliable, and cheap. Rock players started using them with pedals, and its true that they didnt sound great back then... but they were cheap and loud, and would withstand nuclear holocaust.

It only took 25 years for the 5150 to come out and give Peavey some actual credibility. But make no mistake - until the 5150, Peavey got NO love from anyone. Taping your logos was common, because we all USED peavey, but didnt want anyone to KNOW we used Peavey.

Pretty stupid really.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I wanted to say the '70s as well, but Peavey PA systems and bass amps seemed fairly common around the time.

Senior

Reaction score
lol, yep, and thats exactly what you'd hear back then if you brought a Peavey to a rock/metal gig - "thats a PA amp right?" or " O wow, youre gonna play lap steel now?" or "who let Country Joe in the building?" and so on.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
My first "real" amp was a Peavey Bandit 112 combo and it was a ....ing tank. Loved it! I even let my old old band's guitarist use it at a number of shows (I played drums) and he got lots of compliments on how it sounded for what it was.

A friend of mine has a 5150 block letter that's impossible to get a bad sound from :2c: I've even been looking for a 5150 combo to compliment my 5153 :D

Like countless others have already stated, if anyone judges or hates on you for using Peavey, or any other brand, then they're just being ignorant and mindless. I love the fact that older Peavey gear and sometimes 5150/6505 series amps go used for super cheap due to that stigma, though.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
First amp was a Triple XXX. Next thing I knew, I scored an endorsement. :D

Used, recorded and toured with Peaveys and loved every moment. Even if I'm getting a new 5153 50w, I still have sights on a Peavey Classic 30 for those combo amp gigs.

Funny thing is the Triple XXX tends to get looked down on. Chris from MG was shocked at my sound at the Palladium Worcester and said that he had "no idea how I got that amp to sound so good." But of course, he's a 5150 freak like all of us so all is well. :metal:

')