People looking down on you for a Peavey rig?

• Thread starter Thanatopsis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
The 80s were before my time gear-wise(born in 80) but I can definitely vouch for it going back to 92-93 or so. When I got a VTM120 in 96 or 97, I didn't even know what it was. I just tried it out at Daddy's Junky Music(people from the Boston area will know them), loved it and it was only $200 so I bought it. That was my first tube amp and I never looked back but people always looked at it like "WTF is that thing", until they heard it.

I miss Daddy's. :(

Also, VTMs are awesome.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Hey, if the XXX is good enough to be the main amp of Terrance Hobbs of Suffocation, it's good enough for me. :yesway:

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I miss Daddy's. :(

Also, VTMs are awesome.
Totally on both statements. I was disappointed when I came back after being in Europe for a few years to find them gone. My main 4x12 that I still use to this day I bought the same day as my VTM120 at the one in Dedham.

When I bought the VTM, I was 16 and didn't know much about gear other than the recently(at the time) learned fact that tubes are very good. My friend had just got a JTM30 combo(I think that's what it was anyways), and I was amazed and wanted tubes too. I got a well paying job and my first paycheck went to Daddys and saw this thing for $200. From my limited knowledge at the time I thought it was awfully cheap for a 120 tube head and have to admit was somewhat biased against Peavey myself. I just wasn't aware then that they did make good shit. My only amp I had owned as of then was a 10 or 15w solid state Peavey combo that did kinda suck. But after plugging it into this random old Fender 4x12 that was going for $250 and blasting out some riffs from Adrenaline and Undertow(I was all about Tool and the Deftones then), I couldn't help but buy both of them. The cab is still my main one and sitting 5 feet from me know and if it wasn't stolen the VTM would still be there too.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
That's funny.. especially considering when I first started playing guitar I thought Peavey was awesome.. 10 years later I still feel the same.

That's the thing about gear, it is totally personal to what the player wants their sound to be. I don't claim to be such a gear nerd to where I can make anything sound good, but I have a $100 rogue practice amp that I can get some pretty good tone out of, especially if I have an overdrive plugged in.

Just funny the way people are so quick to judge.

texshred777

Reaction score
Peavey makes great stuff.

Forgetting about their tube amps, I'd gig with one of those old solid state Peavey combos. Oh yeah, I have. Pretty decent sound, and loud as fvck.

I say as long as your rig/tone gets you hard-F the snobs.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
The Bandit is a badass MOFO.

I have owned a 6505+ I did end up selling and bought a VHT.

I do like the VHT better but there is nothing wrong with the Peavey, in fact I wish I still had it or some extra dough to buy a 5150.

ibanice

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with peavey. They make damn cool amps and PA systems. Unfortunately I've never had the chance to play on a 5150 and I really want to play one of those amps because they've been used on so many albums that no one has a prober record of it.

The snobs who look down on such gear is the type of people that see a mesa boogie or some custom bushiz and goes "OH MY RATLING T*T'S IT'S A BOOGIE!" And don't get me wrong I love mesa boogies and they sound utterwordly awesome (except for the single, dual and triple recs. They sound like poo...) But you pay a shitton of money for those amps and you can get a peavey 5150 used and a new awesome cab with it for less than you can buy a dual rec for.

And infact the best sounding solid-state amp i've ever played was an old Peavey something, but damn that thing sounded good. it was almost tube like in it's sound!

So when I see a Peavey rig I'm not like "meh a Peavey rig why the f*ck would you have such a piece of junk..." I'm more like
nice.jpg

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
My first "real" amp was a Peavey Bandit 112 combo and it was a ....ing tank. Loved it! I

I remember my first amp was a shitty Dean Markley solid state, and my buddy had the Peavey bandit (teal stripe i think now, no idea back then). When I heard it I was blown away!!!! I knew nothing about amps back then, but that was the distortion i was missing on my amp. Even when i got my marshall valvestate, i was still jealous of his distortion on that bandit - just had an edge and mighty "chug" to it I could never get on the amps i had at the time.

nib2000

Reaction score
I absolutely love my Triple XXX
Received quite a few complements on the tone after shows

sefloval

Reaction score
I had a Peavey solid state head (Standard Mark III?) in my early teens when I just started playing guitar. I sold it to a buddy who has kept it since. I wish I would have kept it...that thing was/is a tank!
Now I'm looking at buying another Peavey because they are just beasts and indestructible! May take a drive up to LA to the Peavey store at some point to play and compare a 6505, 6534 and Triple X 2. Very curious about the Triple X 2; seems like it has everything I want in an amp.

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
True, if someone already displays prejudice without even considering your skill level or the sounds, f*ck 'em. Plus, Peavey is a tried and true brand that is clearly well established in "the game", if you will. Besides amps, they have made some great affordable, quality basses and guitars...and apparently Peavey even makes drums???News to me...The VTM was most likely used as a blueprint for the 5150. Even with the Fender/EVH 5150 in a pro recording studio somewhere, there will most likely also be the Peavey head in that same studio.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Someone will look down on your gear no matter what because lots of musicians are a-holes. Play inexpensive stuff: someone will thing you're a broke, talentless newb. Play expensive stuff: someone will think you're a spoiled poser.

Just don't worry about it, play what you like within your budget and play your ass off.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
As far as I know, Pignose is a brand of amps, Peavey never made them.

I coulda sworn it said it was from peavey. Guess I am mistaken. That was like 10 years ago now. It was just a cheap combo. (google search proves my memory was mistaken. Maybe my brother had a peavey amp, and I have the two confused memory wise, but I know a peavey was there somewhere!

')