People scared of 8 strings.....

• Thread starter jayarpeggios
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
To the OP: I've had the same problem when I tried contacting bands about auditioning. Usually when it's just a jam with someone they don't seem to mind. I've also had a few people jump to the conclusion that I must listen to Yngwie Malmsteen because I play 7's and an 8. I don't think Yngwie has ever played a 7-string or 8-string :nuts:

Reaction score
To the OP: I've had the same problem when I tried contacting bands about auditioning. Usually when it's just a jam with someone they don't seem to mind. I've also had a few people jump to the conclusion that I must listen to Yngwie Malmsteen because I play 7's and an 8. I don't think Yngwie has ever played a 7-string or 8-string :nuts:

That's right next to insane haha.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
i tell people that i play a seven string to weed out who i don't want to audition for *my* band.

but if i'm trying to put together a bar thing or just jam, i just show up, and ten, fifteen minutes in they start counting the strings on the guitar

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've seemingly had a different experience than all of you. There are a ton of bands around here who use 7s or at least tune way down, so usually no one says anything or if they do it's positive.

I'm surprised to hear about people still talking down to 7s in this day of age. I'd understand when nu-metal was in full swing, but there are so many diverse/talented 7-string players out there now that I figured people would be used to it by now.

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean Nick. But so many players are stereotyped, when it comes to guitars, and as a result like their instruments to be the traditional stuff (LPs, Strats, Teles, etc.). It's almost like the "Blues Brothers" movie, when Jake asks at the country bar, what kind of music, bands play there, and the response is, "oh, both both kinds - country and western." And, many of these same stereotyping players, are really locked into a comfortable rut, centered around standard 6-string guitars (preferrably in standard tuning). This was brought home to me 7 months ago, when I went to jam with a basement band. I took my Eastwood Sidejack Baritone (which I no longer have) with me. I ended up getting stuck with playing a thinline Tele, the host had, because the other players just weren't comfortable with me playing playing my bari. It was nice playing in a band-type format, but I was kind of disappointed, because I really wanted to give my baritone a workout. But the other players didn't want to deal with instrumentation outside of the usual 2, 6-strings, a bass, and drums. That was their comfort zone, because it was familar to them, and therefore, easier to deal with musically. 8-strings unfortunately fall into this same musical twilight zone I was in with my baritone guitar. That's too bad. I think 8s are cool! :yesway:

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Whenever I go to this blues jam hing at a bar near me, and I bring my 7, I usually get a "WTF?" response. One time, the tuner wouldn't pick up my low B (Boss pedal tuner), and the host said "That's because your not supposed to have a low B".

My mom was talking to this really cool black guy with a '73 Gibson ES-335, she said "That's my son with the 7-string" he goes "7-Strang??" He was kinda suprised they made them :lol: He was really cool, though. I always get people asking me about it, people asking how many strings I have, how I play it, etc.

Also, whenever I bring my strat to this blues jam, I ALWAYS get a positive response :lol: No matter what. I could be the worse player in the world, I bring a strat to a blues jam, I'm good. :shrug:

troyguitar

Reaction score
I brought my 9-string out to a jam with some over 50 types who normally only play country/blues/other old stuff and they all thought it was the coolest thing ever. Everyone took their best shot at attempting to play it for a few minutes, it was hilarious. :lol:

Those guys are weird though, most people are like "WTF is that and why would anyone play it?"

foreverburn

Reaction score
First off, the vid of the dude playing the acoustic 7 rips. That dude can play!

Second, I have a bassist that is all about trying new things, so he's gonna make the jump to the drop E tuning with me... so now the worst is over, just gotta find a drummer and a singer.

Around here in southwestern ohio, people are stuck up the ass of blues and jazz for the most part, and then you have the "dudes that are into metal" and they either sound like Disturbed, Pantera, or Queensryche (minus the talent of the last 2)...

There are a few really good bands from around the Dayton/Springfield area though...

"Ascend Through The Depths" is one of them, "Through An Ocean of Plagues" is another... there is also "Blood Red Winter" but they don't have any new recordings up... "Negative Process" was also another really good one, but they recently broke up... then my band "Forever Burn" is thrown in there too, and that about rounds out the good metal from around here, at least that I am familiar with...

All those bands can be found on myspace, and most of it is pretty decent stuff, so if you want to hear some of the better bands my local area is, check 'em out... I'll put links to them even.

www.myspace.com/ascendthroughthedepths
www.myspace.com/negativeprocess
www.myspace.com/foreverburnmusic
www.myspace.com/bloodredwinter999
www.myspace.com/throughanoceanofplagues

rhoads18

Reaction score
I brought my 9-string out to a jam with some over 50 types who normally only play country/blues/other old stuff and they all thought it was the coolest thing ever. Everyone took their best shot at attempting to play it for a few minutes, it was hilarious. :lol:

Those guys are weird though, most people are like "WTF is that and why would anyone play it?"

haha! can't wait to get my oni 9 string:lol:

BLACKFOX86

Reaction score
HAHA! Funny stories...
And yeah people are so afraid of extended range. I don't see 7s as "extended range" but just "more". 8, 9 and above is extended range to me.
I can't understand why people are so shocked when they se a 7 string.. it's just one more string! :nuts:

Roon4me

Reaction score
yes I cant find anyone to jam with. I take that back. My boss has two bands now, all my friends play, 4 drummers, 2 or 3 bass players, and they are all scared of my 2228.:scream: its like it kicks too much ass or something. I really depressed about the whole thing really.:wallbash: however my rg2228 is too badass not to play the shit out of it so im just boned.:fawk: Im about not to be able to work at my job anymore because they even use my equipment to play gigs while i stay there and wash their dishes. I could seriously kill somebody very very soon.:evil: Im just gonna have to quit because I have to play so bad that i just sends me off the deep end every time they have a gig. :realmad:I want to move out of colorado so bad now. I want to try to go to musicians institute. I know its a waste of money and shit but at this point I would just be happy to jam with people who love music for music and no just to get laid.:mad: I loved my sushi job and now I hate it and I hate life!!!! not worth any amount they are paying me! The only thing I can do is just close my eyes and turn up my randall and jam harder and harder all by myself just to make me feel like im a musician again.:shred: its too late. once you play out once, there's nothing like that feeling.
anyone else feel me? let me know. thanks for letting me vent a little.

jayarpeggios

Reaction score
well since you guys decided to necro post... I have since found a band not exactly what I would like but I enjoy it and the other guitarist has an 8 string too.. so I guess that works :)

heilarkyguitar

Brown note
Reaction score
No band around my area uses a 7 or 8. All 666's. Dont bother me . My band will start playing out in june. I play 7 brj drop a. The locals will shit i'm sure. 8s in the near future.

Coalesce42

Reaction score
well, i guess people looking for a blues jam could think that somebody who plays an 8-string will have different music interests

My older brother is a well respected blues musician in KC and when he played my 8 he did some really great blues and funk things I had not even considered. He now wants an 8 string. :yesway:

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
In my opinion I'd actually like to jam with someone who has an 8 for the fact it would be so cool. My lowest tuning is Bb standard so I have no use for an 8, but I would definitely jam with someone with one. Why aren't they jamming with you beats me. :scratch:

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
I just can't plain find anyone to jam with here. It blows. I don't even get to run into that situation about people scared of extended range. :lol: ....................... :(

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Or you could end up in my situation, which is doing nothing but 6-string covers (no lower than drop D). I've learned to play rhythms in a lower octave. Holy Diver never sounded so evil LOL

Plenty of 7+ string love around ATL. I can tell there's at least 4 bands @ where we practice that's extended range.

saovi

Reaction score
Personally I believe 8 will be the new 6 eventually. Instead of having to drop tune 7 or 6s for each piece (drop tune A on my Les Paul, drop tune G on my Baritone Les Paul), most of the tunings you need are already inherently built into an 8 (including not having to sacrifice the higher notes to get the lower tunings). Its a versatile instrument when looked at its entirety (and not just because it can get down low) IMO - meaning that if push came to shove, an 8 can become a 6 or a 7 depending upon the piece you play with the added bonus of being able to djent like crazy if the piece asks for that.

')