People who have experience with Jackson guitars, HELP

• Thread starter Ezkaton718
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ezkaton718

Reaction score
I haven't owned too many guitars but lately I have REALLY been wanting to try out a Jackson, my problem is I don't know what model to buy and was hoping someone could recommend something. My current guitar is a B.C. Rich Warlock and im hoping to get something more versatile.

I'm looking for something to play scales and death metal on :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
For anyone to help you effectively it'd be nice to know your budget so we know if you're looking at an entry level jackson or a usa custom shop or whatever is in between.

As for versatility that's basically going to come down to the pickups, which can be changed very easily at any time.

Ezkaton718

Reaction score
I can go anywhere from $600 - $800 , I just need a recommendation, anything in between really works. Im very undecided about gear XD

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Are you okay with a Floyd Rose, or do you want a fixed bridge?

If you are okay with a Floyd and don't mind going used you can usually get KILLER deals on used Made in Japan Jackson DK2's with duncan pickups (usually a JB in the bridge).

If you want to go new, I recommend the new Made in Mexico DK2's:

Maple board and Quilt:
https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-CA/products/search.php?partno=2914113590

Maple board:
https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-CA/products/search.php?partno=2914123594

Rosewood board:
https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-CA/products/search.php?partno=2914103554

Rosewood board w/ quilt:
https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-CA/products/search.php?partno=2914104558

Ezkaton718

Reaction score
I've actually REALLY been wanting to play around with a floyd on a guitar :D fixed bridges work aswell but i'm leaning towards a floyd

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I would be looking at some of the japanese imports like a older DK2 or maybe even an older elite or professional series. In your price range I think those have the best quality. Hell the older pro series rival even their USA offerings. In some cases like 07-09 USA selects the japanese guitars were actually better. As far as versatility goes, dont worry about the actual guitar. Just make sure you get something with passive pickups that way you can add push pull pots and then grab a schematic off of guitar electronics.com and wire that bitch to do whatever you can dream up.

oracles

Reaction score
Definitely try and hunt down an MIJ model, like the older DK2(M)'s, unbelievable guitars.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
If you're cool with a Floyd and buying used then definitely grab a used MiJ DK2. Again, there are super sick deals on these guitars.
If you want new then you can get a MiM DK2 with a floyd. Best bang for your buck will be the MiJ DK2's without a doubt.

Overtone

Reaction score
What about an old Charvel model 6? I just got one and you can't beat them for the price you can get them for now. Definitely beats anything new in the $600-$800 dollar range. I know it doesn't say Jackson on the headstock, but it is basically an import soloist if you know the brand history.

Vintage 1986 Jackson Charvel Model 6 Black Original JT6 Neck thru Active Boost | eBay

another nice one
Charvel Model 6 Electric Guitar w Bound Rosewood Fretboard Blue | eBay

Haven't played one myself but i have two friends who are really serious players that swear by them, and I've loved anything I've played from Jackson/Charvel that was made in the 80's. I think one of the big differences to consider between this and the MIJ Dinky is that the model 6 is neck thru.

haffner1

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the model 6 is a rather heavy guitar. Mine weighs in at 10.4 lbs. I happen to like that quite a bit, because for me it is easier to keep steady when I'm moving around, plus heavier guitars will often sustain better (but not always). Some people might hate the weight though.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I'm also in favour of used MIJ DK2's. We used a sell a TON of them, and they were around 650 new at the lowest here in Canada, so I'm sure you can find one in your range. The DK2Ms were great too if you'd rather a 2 humbucker combination and a maple board. Jackson switched from Duncan Designs to regular Duncans in 2006 or so on Japanese models, so keep an eye out for those. I've also played a couple pro series ones and they were quite decent - although the trem parts might be hard to find if anything needs replacing.

For newer models, I'd say go for the Mexican made ones just like others have mentioned. A friend of mine swears by his. I've worked on it, and the quality seems pretty good and it looks pretty cool.

If you're thinking Charvels, you can't go wrong with a 375 deluxe from 1990-ish. I had one for years, and it was a quality piece for its age and usage. They can also be pretty cheap. Mine wasn't more than a few hundred bucks with its original case.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
In your price range you could snag two DKMG's or DK2M's

MIJ Jackson guitars are killer, and as previously mentioned, any 4 conductor passive pickups can be wired up however you want.

misingonestring

Irrelevant Name
Reaction score
I can't comment on the Charvel model 6, I have a Charvel Model 4 which is a pretty good guitar. it's got the same controls as the model six but it's bolt on and only has 22 frets, it's a little awkward to play up the neck cause the neck heel is massive cause of the thin neck. But I would seriously recommend it, they're pretty good guitars for less than a grand. :yesway:

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you prefer neck through, see if you can find an SLSMG or SLS3. They are both made in Japan and rival the USA Jacksons as far as build quality goes IMO. I have an SLS3 and have been very happy with it. Should be able to find one used between $550-$750 depending on condition. These don't have a Floyd, but figured I'd give my 2 cents. I like to be able to switch tunings easily on the fly, and Floyds don't make that a fun task.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Another vote for a MIJ DK2. Go for an 06-10 model, they have real Duncans & black hardware.

I have 19 guitars & my DKs are my go to axes every time.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Agreeing with a number of recommendations here. If you want to get into Jackson, there's no better place to get started than a MIJ DK2.
For $600-800 you could get a DK2 (HSS) and a DK2M. That gives you a ton of versatility between the two and gives you a good range. If you wait it out long enough you might even find a Jackson USA DK1 for $800-1000. The necks tend to be a little thicker, but they're amazing guitars.
You could also go hardtail and trem if you went with two. Those guitars are seriously some of the best value guitars you can get.
If you go new, the MIM DK2Ms are seriously awesome guitars too. I'm totally happy with mine.

ice_age_magic

That's what she said
Reaction score
+1 on the dinky. DK2 - those are great guitars for the price - more so a lightly used one from the early 2000's IMO

Henry Terry

Reaction score
I have a Jackson SLSMG that I bought in 2005, and I really like it. It is very thin, very lightweight and has a resonant body. The neck is thin and I like the feel of it. However, it is a fixed bridge guitar, not one with a Floyd Rose. The ones that I've seen used have been selling for $500 or less. When I bought the guitar, it came with two EMG HzH3 pickups which were very versatile, enabling me to get great clean sounds from a Fender Twin and very good distorted sounds from a Marshall JCM900 SL-X. I have now replaced the HzH3 pickups with two EMG 81s, and I like the guitar very much with those pickups. If you cannot find a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar that you like, then I would recommend taking a look at the SLSMG.

Latest posts

')