Per Nilsson Master Class!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess I can't play any of this.

:agreed:

I'm at work, and, while I know how to get around the filters, it's generally frowned upon to play guitar instructional videos. Found that out after watching Tosin's Guitar Messenger vids. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
One of the top 5 favorite lead guitarists, ever. Easily.

Whilest watching this vid (for the 3rd time), I noticed what he was most likely using for the vid:

(I love you POD X3 Live)

View attachment 18547

Xiphos68

Reaction score
One of the top 5 favorite lead guitarists, ever. Easily.

Whilest watching this vid (for the 3rd time), I noticed what he was most likely using for the vid:

(I love you POD X3 Live)

View attachment 18547

From what I know. He just used the POD X3 for the American tour I think?

Still though it sounds awesome! I've never heard a POD X3 like that besides Chimp Spanner and a like three or four others.

Is Per making a DVD did I miss something?

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I would love to know what he uses to get that almost synth tone.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
^
He's got that Skwissgar thing going on, he can't play slow. :lol: That's okay, I have the same problem... and besides, his songwriting, riffing, and phrasing > than the bevy of crappy shredders who can do flawless sweeps until you fall asleep with boredom. :cool:

I've never heard a POD X3 like that besides Chimp Spanner and a like three or four others.

Arjen Lucassen has been ripping out great sounding leads (and rhythms for that matter) through POD's for years now. Just turn the knobs to the right positions. :lol:

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
The guy sweeps so fast, his neck pick-up got swallowed by a black hole.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
I'd love to know how to get the tone so I can work with it myself.

I'm not too sure what amps he used, but I know he recorded all of his solos (including Quantumleaper) with a JemFP that has DiMarzio Paf Pros in it.
You can see/hear here.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I'm not too sure what amps he used, but I know he recorded all of his solos (including Quantumleaper) with a JemFP that has DiMarzio Paf Pros in it.
You can see/hear here.

It's very smooth. Those pafs really are buttery goodness.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
I would love to know what he uses to get that almost synth tone.

I know. I meant tone wise.

A good example is the solo in that song.

I'd love to know how to get the tone so I can work with it myself.

You can see/hear here.

I read a review once (somewhere) that he used Guitar Rig from NI for his solos, and a combo of amps (ENGL + Peaveys?) for his rhythms.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
I read a review once (somewhere) that he used Guitar Rig from NI for his solos, and a combo of amps (ENGL + Peaveys?) for his rhythms.

As far as I know who used a V-AMP for the solos on SID and and ENGL PBall through a behringer cab for rhythms.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know he does have an account here and was online three days ago, so he'll probably chime in sooner or later :yesway:

I need to find time to watch this soon, as I love the man's playing :yesway:

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
I had a great time hanging out with the guitar messenger guys. Though I had a REALLY bad day playing-wise, like 90% of what they filmed with me sounded like crap. I'm thankful they edited most of the crap out :)
They kept buying me beer in between making the shots, so when I showed up at the gig later that evening I was pretty hammered. I usually never perform drunk but the guitar messenger dudes helped me make an exception. Funny night in many ways :)

Yes the guitar tone in the vid comes from a pod x3. It was shot during our north american tour, so I just brought my guitar and the pod to the filming studio.

I've used different setups on every album:
Symmetric in Design was v-amp for leads, fireball for rhythm
Pitch Black Progress was v-amp + marshall 6100 for leads, fireball for rhythm
Holographic Universe was guitar rig 2 for leads, fireball and that randall modular tube amp for rhythm
Dark Matter Dimensions was a rocktron egnater for leads, modified marshall for rhythms
new not-yet-titled album is rocktron egnater for leads, mesa rec for rhythms

If I remember correctly the guitar rig 2 patch was 2 tubescreamers (yes 2!!!) going into a roland jazz chorus amp...

When using real amps we usually have some green pedal in front of it, like an ibanez tubescreamer, mostly to tame the bass frequencies a bit.

')