Per Nilsson Master Class!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DanielKRego

Reaction score
Wow that was great. His lead phrasing is so slick and smooth, with such an instantly identifiable style. He seems to love his arpeggios played in intervallic steps. Very prominently seen on his solo in The Illusionist. What a player. :O

Nazca

Reaction score
Bloody brilliant. That prism and gate lick.:eek: I always thought it was sweep/tap. I need to buy some new ears!

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
The thing that keeps impressing me with his solos, is how he can produce something that sounds intrinsically chaotic (The Illusionist for example), yet somehow fits perfectly. I get the distinct impression though, that there's planning behind it which I'm missing.

LiamENGL

Reaction score
The thing that keeps impressing me with his solos, is how he can produce something that sounds intrinsically chaotic (The Illusionist for example), yet somehow fits perfectly. I get the distinct impression though, that there's planning behind it which I'm missing.

Actually there's a pretty massive interview (don't have the link sorry) where he says the larger part of his solo are improvised, then refined a little until he's happy with it.

But he also studied jazz theory and improvisation, that's what that shit'll do to you! haha

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
he says the larger part of his solo are improvised, then refined a little until he's happy with it.

interesting... ive always felt that this is the best way to "compose" a solo... improv allows for more unique things to happen because of the spur of the moment ideas we have during improv...

trey of morbid angel writes his solos this way, and IMO, he is the best lead guitarist in DM

Steve08

Reaction score
Trey doesn't write his solos at all, he just pretty much improvises on the recording, and also live it's all improv from what I understand. Same with Yngwie Malmsteen.

I usually don't like the idea of fully composed solos anyway, I mean if I had the opportunity to I would probably improvise on a recording and then transcribe it for reference, but it would get so boring to play the same thing every night.

DanielKRego

Reaction score
Just saw part 2, this guy is incredible.

I haven't checked out Scar Symmetry enough, so which songs have Per's most impressive soloing, according to you guys? I'd really appreciate maybe a tiny list of your favourite Per solos, Scar Symmetry or Kaipa, so I can jump onto the Per bandwagon :D

EDIT: It'd be really awesome if Per himself could chime in with his solos he's most proud of. That would be the de facto woodshedding list for all of us, I think.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
I'm a huge Per fan and I'll list what I feel are SOME of his most memorable solos...

Ghost Prototype Part 1
Mind Machine
Dreaming 24/7
Deviate From the Form
Dominion
Veil of Illusions
Neumenon and Phenomenon
Mechanical Soul Cybernetics

btw, all of his solos pwn and this is just a place to start.

Reaction score
aside from the above^^.. These are some Pertastic solos:-

Scar Symmetry - Dreaming 24/7, Abstracted, Kaleidosopic God!, 2012 - The Demise Of The 5th Sun, Holographic Universe, Trapezoid, Oscillation Point, A Parenthesis in Eternity, Pariah..

Kaipa - Solitary Pathway, The Fleeting Existence of Time, Broken Chords, The Glorious Silence Within, In the Wake of Evolution, Smoke from A Secret Source..

Altered Aeon - Welcome Home, Cellular Disorganization
Hagen - Questions, For Ulf, Dragonfly Dance (petruccitastic)
World Below - Behind The Door, Nyarlathotep (Harvester Of Souls), A Future So Dark
Bootcut - Soul P.D
Fuelblood - The Cult Of Ego

and these are narrowing it down....basically anything this man touches turns to Gold..

DanielKRego

Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot to check out. Thanks for your suggestions! I hope Per himself chimes in, if he sees this.

sunny12

Reaction score
Per is a fantastic guitarist.

Cannot wait for the next Scar Symmetry album...his solos are flawless!

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
aside from the above^^.. These are some Pertastic solos:-

Scar Symmetry - Dreaming 24/7, Abstracted, Kaleidosopic God!, 2012 - The Demise Of The 5th Sun, Holographic Universe, Trapezoid, Oscillation Point, A Parenthesis in Eternity, Pariah..

Kaipa - Solitary Pathway, The Fleeting Existence of Time, Broken Chords, The Glorious Silence Within, In the Wake of Evolution, Smoke from A Secret Source..

Altered Aeon - Welcome Home, Cellular Disorganization
Hagen - Questions, For Ulf, Dragonfly Dance (petruccitastic)
World Below - Behind The Door, Nyarlathotep (Harvester Of Souls), A Future So Dark
Bootcut - Soul P.D
Fuelblood - The Cult Of Ego

and these are narrowing it down....basically anything this man touches turns to Gold..

Wow, dude... You really did your home work, didn't you! :hbang:

As for my own favourites solos... Hmm... I like the solo for Veil of Illusions, nice chord progression courtesy of mr. Kjellgren! The Noumenon and Phenomenon-solo came out really good I think, though it's fuckin' hard to play and I mess it up sometimes when playing it live... :wallbash:

I did a guest solo for my friends Ereb Altor a few years ago, might be of interest to some of you. It starts around the 5 minutes mark.

Reaction score
Homework's fun if your teacher is all sorts of Hot, Per! ;) and by "hot" i do mean your fretboard fingerwork..:shred:..:evil:...Heard that Ereb Altor solo before, and again realised how amazing your tone is.

Illuminoid Dream Sequence is effing amazing Per and i was wondering if you used your Z-tar on the new album at all?

Also, I have a question that's been on my mind for a long time, if you don't mind answering Per. I hear a lot of Indian music influences in your phrasing (think Mind Machine, Dreaming 24/7) which is what really impresses me because, I personally find it very hard to get into Indian classical music as it's very complex but also very interesting (and im really talking about Carnatic music) but seeing Shawn Lane as an influence on you, I was wondering if you ever got into Indian music and if it's had a impact on your playing at all and if so, if you could recommend some good stuff.
Also, fun story - I was gonna recommend you to Jonas Hellborg as the next Shawn Lane after a little gig he did in Delhi with Selvaganesh..but I didn't get to..I got starstruck SOO bad I just got his autograph and ran outta there! I'm still kicking myself. :wallbash:
:minions:

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Nope I didn't use the Ztar at all, all the fast keyboard parts are programmed... I wish I was that skilled a keyboard player. I do play a lot of the slower keyboard stuff, I kinda know the way around a keyboard though I don't really have any chops at all.

I don't know anything about Indian music really... I use all kinds of unusual scales and sometimes unorthodox rhytmic patterns and phrases, and the impression I've got of Indian music is that it is full of those features, though the inspiration for me playing stuff like that comes from elsewhere.

Myself playing with Jonas Hellborg... I think I would feel a little bit intimated, knowing that among his past and present sidekicks we've got Mattias IA Eklundh, Shawn Lane and not to forget keyboard god Jens Johansson...

')