Per Nilsson

• Thread starter ittoa666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Hellou Per :D
I asked you somewhere in 2007 on myspace with which gear did you recorded the first 2 albmus of scar symmetry and you told me that only with fireball and the solos with V-AMP :D but did you really meant that cheap thing from Behringer??? Which gear you use mostly in studio to get that true pure SS sound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
Hahaha Andretti you just keep showing up everywhere I go! We would love to come back to Texas one day, maybe next time! Can you keep a secret? We might be heading back to the US later this year, though I have no idea at all which states we'll be routed through, let's keep our fingers crossed for some Texas dates... :)

yes, houston, please :) we're not a bad city, i swear!

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Hellou Per :D
I asked you somewhere in 2007 on myspace with which gear did you recorded the first 2 albmus of scar symmetry and you told me that only with fireball and the solos with V-AMP :D but did you really meant that cheap thing from Behringer??? Which gear you use mostly in studio to get that true pure SS sound?

Yes the first 2 albums was Fireball for rhythms, I think Jonas also used the Fireball for his leads. I recorded my solos at home and for the "Symmetric in Design" CD I used the V-Amp (YES the Behringer product) because I didn't have any other options at the time. For our 2nd CD "Pitch Black Progress" I used a Marshall amp with a Behringer cab, and a Metal Zone distortion pedal, but I wasn't 100% happy with the sound, so I splitted the signal and used the V-Amp in parallell with the amp, it brought me closer to the sound I had in mind though it was pretty far from perfect.

On "Holographic Universe" we used Engl and Randall amps, and "Dark Matter Dimensions" was modified Marshalls and a Rocktron Egnater amp.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Yes the first 2 albums was Fireball for rhythms, I think Jonas also used the Fireball for his leads. I recorded my solos at home and for the "Symmetric in Design" CD I used the V-Amp (YES the Behringer product) because I didn't have any other options at the time. For our 2nd CD "Pitch Black Progress" I used a Marshall amp with a Behringer cab, and a Metal Zone distortion pedal, but I wasn't 100% happy with the sound, so I splitted the signal and used the V-Amp in parallell with the amp, it brought me closer to the sound I had in mind though it was pretty far from perfect.

On "Holographic Universe" we used Engl and Randall amps, and "Dark Matter Dimensions" was modified Marshalls and a Rocktron Egnater amp.

Omg XD... thats awesome... i had once a behringer product but i wont have any never again. :D thats a nice example how to create a good thing with cheap stuff, and im really surprised that you also used Metal Zone.

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
The Metal Zone is actually a lot more versatile than you would think it is... I've even toured with it, I had it provide the amp with just a bit of distortion, and let the amp provide the rest of dirt and grit. Then I can use the sweep-mid on the Metal Zone to fine tune it...

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Actually the V-Amp is not a bad product, I don't think it's any worse than say the Line6 POD2.0. A real amp+cab is still by far the best option, if you have the skills and equipment to place a mic in front of it properly. Lately I've been getting cool results from software ampsims and cab IRs, sounds more real than most of the V-Amp/POD-sounds, IMHO.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Actually the V-Amp is not a bad product, I don't think it's any worse than say the Line6 POD2.0. A real amp+cab is still by far the best option, if you have the skills and equipment to place a mic in front of it properly. Lately I've been getting cool results from software ampsims and cab IRs, sounds more real than most of the V-Amp/POD-sounds, IMHO.

Thats true, thats the reason why i sold my multifx. With Revalver and Guitar rig combination you can get the best digital sounds and just with one cable connected to the laptop, and versatility is just an advantage :D Which type of these modelers are u using if i may ask?

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
The JEM in the vid was also used for 95% of my solos in Scar Sym.

This makes it the most valuable guitar on the face of the earth:bowdown:

I'm sure some one has asked you this somewhere else, but have you had a chance to try the Axe-Fx?

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score

I agree, the V-Amp 2 is really not bad at all.
I've had mine for ages and I like it.
A friend of mine got the V-Amp 3 recently and it's even better than the V-Amp 2. Just sounds more realistic and a bit smoother

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I agree, the V-Amp 2 is really not bad at all.
I've had mine for ages and I like it.
A friend of mine got the V-Amp 3 recently and it's even better than the V-Amp 2. Just sounds more realistic and a bit smoother

They probably sent their German spies to the axe fx headquarters to steal some modeling tech. :lol:

MSalonen

Reaction score
Hey Per, how do you approach your leads/solos, in terms of the creative process? Do you just go by ear or use a more specific method?

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
This makes it the most valuable guitar on the face of the earth:bowdown:

The JEM is the love of my life, but if I was offered ridiculous amounts of cash I would consider selling it! Let's say the bidding starts at $6600/€5000? :agreed:

I haven't tried out the axe-FX, I've heard a lot of good things about it but damn that thing is expensive! Does someone here know their artist rep? Can I has endorsement? :wavey:

Recently we tried out doing a show totally ampless! I used a POD X3, Jonas used a J-station and I can't remember what Kenneth used for his bass... We were lucky enough to have our friend Peter Tagtgren (of Pain/Hypocrisy) sound engineering for us that night and it just might be the best live sound we've ever had, trippy huh?

You know we did 3 shows in Texas in 2007 - San Antonio, Ft. Worth, and the all mighty HOUSTON on the 26th of September, at the Scout Bar, the last show on the tour! We did spend a day-off in Austin, we went out for mexican food and margaritas, yum-yum.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to have our friend Peter Tagtgren (of Pain/Hypocrisy) sound engineering for us that night and it just might be the best live sound we've ever had, trippy huh?

Holy shit :eek: would that be awesome.

kingpinMS3

dumb, but harmless
Reaction score
The JEM is the love of my life, but if I was offered ridiculous amounts of cash I would consider selling it! Let's say the bidding starts at $6600/€5000? :agreed:

I haven't tried out the axe-FX, I've heard a lot of good things about it but damn that thing is expensive! Does someone here know their artist rep? Can I has endorsement? :wavey:

Recently we tried out doing a show totally ampless! I used a POD X3, Jonas used a J-station and I can't remember what Kenneth used for his bass... We were lucky enough to have our friend Peter Tagtgren (of Pain/Hypocrisy) sound engineering for us that night and it just might be the best live sound we've ever had, trippy huh?

You know we did 3 shows in Texas in 2007 - San Antonio, Ft. Worth, and the all mighty HOUSTON on the 26th of September, at the Scout Bar, the last show on the tour! We did spend a day-off in Austin, we went out for mexican food and margaritas, yum-yum.

if you're in houston let me know and i'll take you to have the best tacos you've ever had.

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Hey Per, how do you approach your leads/solos, in terms of the creative process? Do you just go by ear or use a more specific method?

I write my solos while recording them, never beforehand, and usually I start out by improvising over the part a few times to get in the mood and make like a roadmap in my head of where I want the solo to go. Then I often record just one or a few licks at a time - sometimes improvising them, sometimes carefully composing note-for-note to get to exactly what I want to hear.

If the solo part's chord progression makes the scale choices obvious I tend to improvise a bit more, and if the chord progression is a bit tricky I compose more note-for-note. Sometimes when the solo part is a "static modality", with no chord progression, I imagine a chord progression on top of the riffing, and play over those 'imaginary' chords instead, which often makes things sound a bit more interesting to my ears, it gives the solo a sense of movement I think. For example, I use that 'superimposing' technique in the Morphogenesis solo.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
Nice! I think about a lot of the same ideas, imagining chord progressions and stuff... of course, I don't do it nearly as well! Could you care to explain a little bit about the theory behind the first section of Ghost Prototype II? The chord function is a little hard to see at first glance.

')