Per Nilsson

• Thread starter ittoa666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Hah! Well, thing sounded pretty good in Chicago the other night. That was actually one of the first things my friend mentioned after your set, so you must have made a good impression. It helps that you look very serene--eyes closed and all that.

By the by--glad to see that you recovered after that night. You looked pretty sloshed.

Haha yeah that was a nice aftershow-party, last thing I remember was someone giving me a big glass of whisky, I was completely knocked out the entire day after...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Izuna

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words! The secret behind the Deviate-solos I think is not so much the actual solo but the chord progression and riffing going on underneath! The guitars/drums is grooving nicely and then you've got this nice synthesizer sounds playing a nice chord progression on top, it's almost like the solo is playing itself. I like the way the chords are going from major to minor and then back again.

Yeah man, you put into words what I meant. It comes just like out of itself.

well i can just hope u'll continue with ur style, and that it never gets boring to you! to me it wont! :yesway:

and i got another question: i'm planning to develop my 7 string skills a bit. can you give me a spontaneous idea which guitar i should go for (<=1000 Euros)?

etiam

Reaction score
Haha yeah that was a nice aftershow-party, last thing I remember was someone giving me a big glass of whisky, I was completely knocked out the entire day after...

Still a killer show. I'll send you photos when everything's posted, and we'll get you next time on the arm wrestling.

One thing I was wondering--why did you guys change the setlist? We spies in the first row could see that you'd crossed off and scribbled in a couple things.

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Still a killer show. I'll send you photos when everything's posted, and we'll get you next time on the arm wrestling.

One thing I was wondering--why did you guys change the setlist? We spies in the first row could see that you'd crossed off and scribbled in a couple things.

Our setlist consists of 10 songs, but we rarely have the time to do them all, except for a few nights when the changeovers and rigging took less time than expected. Most nights we play 9 or sometimes 8 songs...

The scribbling probably said "Artificial Sun Projection", I think we did that song that night..?

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently received my copy of Pitch Black Progress...my first time listening to SS. Must say I was blown away by your playing, Per-it has inspired me to try to achieve a more fluid sound. Your riffs are killer too, shit ton of fun to jam along to! :shred: Needless to say, trigger=pulled on the rest of the SS discography :lol: and sign me up for that solo album whenever it happens! :metal:

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
The JEM is the love of my life, but if I was offered ridiculous amounts of cash I would consider selling it! Let's say the bidding starts at $6600/&#8364;5000? :agreed:

I haven't tried out the axe-FX, I've heard a lot of good things about it but damn that thing is expensive! Does someone here know their artist rep? Can I has endorsement? :wavey:

Recently we tried out doing a show totally ampless! I used a POD X3, Jonas used a J-station and I can't remember what Kenneth used for his bass... We were lucky enough to have our friend Peter Tagtgren (of Pain/Hypocrisy) sound engineering for us that night and it just might be the best live sound we've ever had, trippy huh?

You know we did 3 shows in Texas in 2007 - San Antonio, Ft. Worth, and the all mighty HOUSTON on the 26th of September, at the Scout Bar, the last show on the tour! We did spend a day-off in Austin, we went out for mexican food and margaritas, yum-yum.

Someone get Per Cliff from Fractal's contact information ASAP :scream:

He deserves an Axe-Fx endorsement :D

Big SS fan here :hbang: Love how clean and fluid your playing is. Thanks again for taking time to talk to your fans. We are all very grateful :D

P.S. The more and more i see/hear about it, the more people say that direct in seems to the way to go for a great overall live sound. More bands need to experiment with POD X3's, V-Amp's, J-Station's, Eleven Rack's and Axe-Fx's live :shred:

Zer01

Reaction score
I saw you guys in Chicago too. That was a great time. I was standing in front of Jonas though. The faces he makes are worth the price of admission alone. You all should have seen min knock over his mic stand HAHA! "Should I pick it up? Should I keep playing? Pick up? Keep playing?" Rob finally helped him out though

etiam

Reaction score
This is kind of a bump (alright, a lot of a bump), but I wanted to post the photos from this Chicago show that was chatted about. Reggie's is a pretty intimate venue, so the SS crew was packed in tight.

MAXIMUM METAL

Some pictures of Hypocrisy I also took that night.

Zer01

Reaction score
This is kind of a bump (alright, a lot of a bump), but I wanted to post the photos from this Chicago show that was chatted about. Reggie's is a pretty intimate venue, so the SS crew was packed in tight.

MAXIMUM METAL

Great pics! I remember seeing you standing to my right :lol:

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Gonna bump this thread. Per, would love to see an instructional DVD!! Maybe with Rock House Method like Loomis just did and Buz from Unearth is doing. Dude this would be sick!!

Nazca

Reaction score
I really want to learn the solo to "Slaves to the Subliminal" buuuuuuuut, how on earth do you play that insane tapping lick at around 3.45. Tried slowing it down but it's still too quick! Insanity!

I would love it if Per could record himself playing that solo slow on Youtube.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
And I'm bumping this thread on account of Per Nilsson being one of my favorite guitar players.

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
I really want to learn the solo to "Slaves to the Subliminal" buuuuuuuut, how on earth do you play that insane tapping lick at around 3.45. Tried slowing it down but it's still too quick! Insanity!

I would love it if Per could record himself playing that solo slow on Youtube.

That tapping lick isn't as insane as it sounds, actually it's quite easy to play, the scale being used is D symmetrical diminished:

-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------T18-13-1$2-10---
-----------------------------T19-14-13-11------------------
---------------T18-13-12-10---------------------------------
--T17-12-11-9-----------------------------------------------

---T19-14-13-11----------------------------------
-----------------T18-13-12-10\9------------------
-------------------------------------------------

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
That tapping lick isn't as insane as it sounds, actually it's quite easy to play, the scale being used is D symmetrical diminished:

--------------------------------------------T18-13-1$2-10---
-----------------------------T19-14-13-11------------------
---------------T18-13-12-10---------------------------------
--T17-12-11-9-----------------------------------------------

---T19-14-13-11----------------------------------
-----------------T18-13-12-10\9------------------

Hey Per, since you took the time to tab out that part of the SttS solo can you tab out the part from 3:54-4:06? It is seriously some of my favorite phrasing ever.

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Hey Per, since you took the time to tab out that part of the SttS solo can you tab out the part from 3:54-4:06? It is seriously some of my favorite phrasing ever.

That part is easy, there's no need to tab out slow parts like that one, you should be able to figure it out quite easily I think. Ok the ending is a little bit trickier, I'll give you a hint, it's a simple 5-string sweep with a tapped note that you bend while fretted with your right hand:

--------------14-17-T22----
-----------15---------------
--------14------------------
-----16---------------------
--17------------------------
----------------------------

I hope that'll be helpful. Thanks for your kind words!

AlucardXIX

Is Encircle
Reaction score
Per, have you ever thought of making a tab book? There are some songs off of Holographic and Dark Matter that I would absolutely love to learn (but have a very hard time discerning by ear, which doesnt happen often!). I'd really love to learn the 8 string stuff you guys have done ;)

Per Nilsson

SCAR SYMMETRY
Reaction score
Per, have you ever thought of making a tab book? There are some songs off of Holographic and Dark Matter that I would absolutely love to learn (but have a very hard time discerning by ear, which doesnt happen often!). I'd really love to learn the 8 string stuff you guys have done ;)

Fans have asked me about tabs, but tabbing my own songs would give me boredom-eczemas. I don't mind tabbing a bar or so occasionally when asked about a specific passage of a solo, but that's as far as I go...

I can't stress enough how important a skill I think it is to be able to transcribe music. I mean sometimes it's really hard to figure out a guitar part because it's obscured by other instruments in the mix - but as long as the guitar is mixed upfront you should be able to figure out the notes being played.

')