Periphery - "Jetpacks Was Yes!" - Full song cover!

• Thread starter Kurkkuviipale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Fuck... Wish that guys like you didn't live on the completely other side of the planet... damn...

Really. Your singing voice is perfect (were you the guy or the girl singing).

I assume you're the guy, though? Both sound awesome, and the music is cool as well.

You're in this! Get your interface and start recording goddamnit. :p

Yes I'm the guy :) The girl is amazing though... that's her singing with a cold...

And it's YOU who lives on the other side of the planet as far as I'm concerned :cool:

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
couple tightness things there but overall, GREAT stuff, i already started doing vocals on it. you can't stop me. :D

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
You gonna do the cleans as well? I mean, there are people signed up for this, but I really don't mind making multiple ones!

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
of course i am!

no one has heard me really belt anything out

have it to you in a couple hours with my mix and with the dries if you wanna mix em in :)

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Ok, just include the dry and I'm happy. If you have your vocal mix's as well, I might learn from them as well!

Stocked for the first vocal mix! :lol:

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
yeah man.

this was a little rough, i have NO CLUE how to mix my own voice.

I did the track, nailed it with no pitch correction! woooo!

but you can hear where my voice warbles in a couple spots, i'm catching a really nasty cold, but it's no excuse i still powered through.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4840052/JWY with trevox.mp3

and sorry in advance for mediafiring you the mix files, i'm way low on dropbox space/

Tre Watson mix files.rar

and last: i ain't no spencer, his voice just goes unnecessarily high, but i gave my high range a shot in one little spot. lemme know how it is. haha

ooidort

Reaction score
yeah man.

this was a little rough, i have NO CLUE how to mix my own voice.

I did the track, nailed it with no pitch correction! woooo!

but you can hear where my voice warbles in a couple spots, i'm catching a really nasty cold, but it's no excuse i still powered through.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4840052/JWY%20with%20trevox.mp3

and sorry in advance for mediafiring you the mix files, i'm way low on dropbox space/

Tre Watson mix files.rar

and last: i ain't no spencer, his voice just goes unnecessarily high, but i gave my high range a shot in one little spot. lemme know how it is. haha

Wow, awesome! I'm really digging low singing voices and this is just perfect!

Edit-
The growling isn't as strong as your cleans but good job nonetheless.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Whoa, nice bassy tone you have! I hear some sloppyness on your singing, but I think I can make it sound clean. :p

Anyway, really good, and fast work!

Thanks.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
Wow, awesome! I'm really digging low singing voices and this is just perfect!

Edit-
The growling isn't as strong as your cleans but good job nonetheless.
this cold is fucking my voice up in a million different ways man, i can;t scream well at all, and i havent drank anything but hot tea :( tea does NOT help my voice.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
I retracked most of the guitars, added third guitar to center on: Chorus, 2nd verse, and the ending riff, tweaked a little of cleans, tracked few cleans, retracked solo.

On other words: It's a lot better now.

Kurkkuviipale - Jetpacks Was Yes! - almost final mix on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I have about half an hour of time to get your vocals in Tre...

Oh, and I'm leaving today for Christmas and wont be doing any progress 'til 27th.

Hope you have a new interface on your Christmas wishlist KingAenarion! :p

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
love it!

and yeah, i can, i just don't like my high range. haha I'll do it for you if you want.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Yea, you have four days of recording it as accurate as you can. I think that the higher octave would sound alot better, or at least more respectful to the original.

Your high range sounds a little too tense, but that is fixed by opening your voice by easy excercises frequently. Just don't consume your voice for the recording. ;)

Sorry if i'm being nitpicking or if I sound like bashing or something. That's not what I'm trying to be. I just want this to be as clean and good as possible and you have your part in that process as well. (You don't want the mix to sound sloppy, do you?) :)

I'll keep working on the mix as I get back. And I do know alot of improvements besides the vox as well.

Oh, and concentrate especially on harmonized parts. They seem to be the hardest for you. (You're certainly not the only one) If you don't seem to get some of the melodies, or stems, or whatever, go check out my tab. It has all of the vocals tabbed, and it should be easy to check out some tough harmonics.

Keep it up!

E: KingAenarion: I'm waiting for your vocals as well. It would be cool to mix multiple vox and maybe do a mashup, where the other does the harmonics and such. The choises are unlimited.

Ow man this is great... Can't wait to get back... damn... Christmas...

Reaction score
I'd like to hear redone vocals when you're feeling better. You sound really good as is, but there are some flubs here and there; maybe also a bit of overuse of vocal vibrato? I'm only being critical because I love your singing on this track and would like to hear the best recordings and performances you can get.

As is, you guys did a stellar job covering this (Especially within such a short time period.), but I'd love to hear "final" version in the future.

Edit: Typed that slowly while working and had most of my points ninja'd by the OP. lol

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
personally i do NOT want to sound like the original and that's part of why i did it low.

none of the changes in harmonies was accidental, i did it that way on purpose ( i hate covers where nothing is different, i feel like there is no real point if you don't bring something different)

but if i have time I'll get to it.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I prefer Tre's vocals to the vocals on the original track, creating a reconstruction of the original with different musicians seems pointless, let him do his own style on the track, he clearly does it well.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Why can't he sing it from the upper octave and still do it his way? You can't seriously say that when doing a cover you have to do something remarkable or else it's pointless.

And I'm not saying that it would be better, but that if he did it again, more precisely and from the upper octave, I'd have plenty of more options to make it sound as good as possible.

And hell, It's my cover too. And I'm producing it, so why can't I have my word on the vocals?

You don't have to (I'm not saying that you shouldn't, or couldn't) change anything in the melody lines either to make the cover unique. I totally respect Tre's opinion on vocals, but I'm waiting for the same respect back.

E: And don't get me wrong. I'm still not saying that Tre's compostition on vocals is not good. No way, it's awesome! Just that, one of the reasons I'm doing this is also because I want to get better on producing, mixing and such and to achieve the maximum use of this project on that sence, doing even somewhat close is not a bad choice.

')