Periphery - "Jetpacks Was Yes!" - Full song cover!

• Thread starter Kurkkuviipale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Here's a cover of Periphery song "Jetpacks Was Yes!" we did today.

Or well... To be honest, only thing recorded in this is guitars, but it's a decent mix anyway. :)

Planning to do the bass with a real bass tomorrow. (It's a baritone guitar sample from omnisphere atm :lol)

Kurkkuviipale - "Jetpacks Was Yes!" Cover on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Apologizes for sloppyness. Rate, comment and criticize!

http://soundcloud.com/kurkkuviipale/jwy-cover-mastered A new mix/master with a reall bass playin'!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far! Anything to criticize? I'm not really comfortable with the cleans, so tips would be cool!

Oh, and I didn't add the electronic drums as you may have noticed. That would've been a pain in the ass to program out.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I'd do it but my recording interface is now basically a carcass... the USB input shorted the whole thing. :wallbash:

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
^ ::sad.

I would be capable to sing it (I mean, I'd certainly hit the notes [except for the high D# :lol:], and so on), but my singing voice is just awful, so I'll let it be. + I only have an SM57, witch is not the best mic for that kind of stuff.

E:

Hehe, I can do the small growling part near the end! :lol:

Lol, we could do a ss.org singer medley where every participant would sing the maximum of 4 bars. :lol:

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
^ ::sad.

I would be capable to sing it (I mean, I'd certainly hit the notes [except for the high D# :lol:], and so on), but my singing voice is just awful, so I'll let it be. + I only have an SM57, witch is not the best mic for that kind of stuff.

E:

Lol, we could do a ss.org singer medley where every participant would sing the maximum of 4 bars. :lol:

If he does the growls, I should have a new Interface pretty soon. I'll do the cleans... You'll have your complete cover in no time! :agreed:

prh

Plini
Reaction score
wow dude! your intro has completely different vibe to the original, even though its pretty much the same. so much darker!

and you guys should definitely get vox happening for this!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
That's really nice of you guys! Though you gotta remember that I'm most likely pretty harsh when judging vocals, though I have faith in you KingAenarion as I know you're good @ theory. :p

Anyway, if any of this happens, would I be able to get the dry mic'd vocals so I could start on practicing the vocal mixing (never done before o_O)?

I'll post a cover with a real bass track probably tomorrow.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
wow dude! your intro has completely different vibe to the original, even though its pretty much the same. so much darker!

and you guys should definitely get vox happening for this!

Thanks!

To me, the cleans sounds more like Tesseract than Periphery. Should be fixed (if wanted :cool:) when I get the almighty Axe-FX.

ooidort

Reaction score
That's really nice of you guys! Though you gotta remember that I'm most likely pretty harsh when judging vocals, though I have faith in you KingAenarion as I know you're good @ theory. :p

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5798359/ooidort_vocalclip.mp3

Well this is how I sound in a mix. Decide for yourself if its good enough. :lol:

Edit-
Anyway, if any of this happens, would I be able to get the dry mic'd vocals so I could start on practicing the vocal mixing (never done before o_O)?

That's fine by me.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Well you have a really nice LOG kind of vibe in it, and I dig your low growls, but I hear vowel "I" jumping out of each word and that disturbs me.

Well anyway, I'm not the one to judge growls as Periphery is one of the few bands that has something instead of singing in it so for me you're good to go!

E: KingAenarion, do you have a sample of your vocals? Would like to hear something of them. :squint: :ninja: :squint:

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Yea I'd give you 2 raw files. Double Tracked.

To hear my previous bands EP... <a href="www.myspace.com/assaiband"> Assai on Myspace Music</a>

Listen to "Grace" and "Sudden Rising, Gradual Dying" for an idea of what my voice sounds like. It's not me singing Metal because I don't have any serious recordings of me after 2006 singing Metal (all just rough - how's this for a melody line)

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Fuck... Wish that guys like you didn't live on the completely other side of the planet... damn...

Really. Your singing voice is perfect (were you the guy or the girl singing).

I assume you're the guy, though? Both sound awesome, and the music is cool as well.

You're in this! Get your interface and start recording goddamnit. :p

Plankis

Reaction score
You need to automate much more in my opinion. In a live situation heads would've been blown by the dynamic shift when the loud as fuck distorted guitars comes in and destroys every living being. Why can't it be like that on recordings? It's a quite easy fix though, just automate everything a couple of dB's lower before the distortion kicks in.

Need to work on the velocities too, it's very obvious it's programmed. You win so much if you tweak the velocities thoroughly.

I think you can push some more excitement out of the song if you compress the masterbuss a bit more too.

But I do think the tone generally is pretty good. You were just a bit lazy with the arrangement.

abstract

Reaction score
What are your cleans going through? To me they sound like they need some compression and maybe a tiny bit more preamp gain (not to the point of breakup mind you). Awesome cover!

')