Periphery Juggernaut: Alpha/Omega: A question and an observation...

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
So, I found the day before yesterday Periphery had released Juggernaut...:scratch:...about a month ago...:scratch:

Anyways, I bought it and have been listening to it. Overall, I like it! My question is very specific: On the track "The Bad Thing," at 2:53 and again at 5:03 there is a low frequency thunderous boom. What is that?

My observation is also sort of a question. Does this album sound uniquely loud compared to pretty much all other recorded music? The playback program I use shows the waveform and its pretty much a solid block. This is nothing new but my ears are telling me its louder than anything I've previously heard. The album as a whole has a certain level of perfection which is kind of cool to hear but it is rather fatiguing to listen to all the way through. Perhaps I'm alone on this though. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
Yea I found that my ears were fatigued after listening through omega the first time, so I definitely agree. It could be that they just fully utilize the whole frequency spectrum, idk.

Also, I was listening to some music with some of my friends the other day, they were playing some more popular metalcore stuff, and then I put on 22 faces and I realized how much louder it was than everything else, without turning up the volume. The bass especially was a lot more overwhelming.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that Juggernaut is actually less fatiguing than their previous records; it doesn't sound as harsh on the high end. But then again I'm not really an audiophile so I don't have the most educated opinion. In regards to those bass drops in "The Bad Thing", I'm pretty sure there's some kind of effect going on, but I do know that the bass is extremely prominent on the record throughout, more so than any of their previous releases.

whtSOEver

Reaction score
This really depends on what system your are listening to it. If it is a usual home-stereosystem, consumer headphones, car-audiosystem I think it will get really loud,
because there is a lot going on in the bass section. On my monitors it is definitely a loud mix as well but for example Lamb of God appear to be even louder, because they are really mid-heavy.
On one of the systems mentioned earlier, this would probably be the other way round.

For the bass-drop thingy... I think it is hard to tell what was really used. It may be synth but my guess would be that it is a heavy bass boosted combination of kick and floor tom with a hilarious huge verb/hall on it.

I like the mix a lot, although this "perfection" you mentioned make it sometimes boring to listen to other stuff :lol:.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just a bass drop. It's usually just a sine wave, afaik

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Re: the general sound of the record, Nolly mixed it and Ermin Hamidovic (i.e. Ermz, author of the Systematic Mixing Guide) mastered it. According to Ermz, Nolly wanted the highs rolled off so the overall mix was less fatiguing over long periods, but he also wanted the lows to be very prominent. I happen to agree that the kick is obnoxiously, stupidly loud, but you do get used to it after a couple of songs and at least it was a creative decision and not an error hahah.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Thank you for educating me on bass drops and its nice to know others thought it sounded louder than normal too. Feel free to discuss it more.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
It's very Sturgis esque. He often blends in door slams, gunshots, explosions, AND sub-drops to exaggerate transitions.

4Eyes

Reaction score
On the track "The Bad Thing," at 2:53 and again at 5:03 there is a low frequency thunderous boom. What is that?

I think that somebody asked Misha or Nolly about it on Ask.fm, it's Axe FX octaver on guitars controlled with expression pedal

edit: fount it

How are you guys achieve those guitar divebombs on Graveless and (I think) The Bad Thing? You used guitar with whammy bars? | ask.fm/NollyPeriphery

How are you guys achieve those guitar divebombs on Graveless and (I think) The Bad Thing? You used guitar with whammy bars?

We did those in real-time with an expression pedal hooked up to the Axe-FX II

edit #2: ah..you're talking about bass drops :scratch: ...fail :lol:

')