Periphery - Masamune Cover Axe fx rhythm tone and mixtest

• Thread starter IamLukas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Progfather

Reaction score
It sounds pretty killer. It does sound like the left guitar track is slightly louder and overpowers the right track. I also think it needs just a touch more drive.

But the biggest issue is that you're not actually playing the riff correctly. The riff has muted grace notes in the spaces between what you're playing. This guy does a pretty good cover that illustrates what I'm talking about:

Actually, he is playing it wrong as well. Everything from the delayed intro to the picking pattern once the vocals come in (failed to follow the kick pattern).

*End of criticism*

But you are correct about the muted strums. You nailed the tone and the mix (Oh how I wish I had your ear for mixing :fawk:), but adding in those muted strums will make the arrangement sound more accurate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IamLukas

Reaction score
I'd really love to know how you are getting these Drum Tones..

I've got an ultra myself and can get close as far as guitar tone.

Did you master and post EQ the drums?

Ohr Lord, totally forgot that Thread with time, sry about that!
I do all the mastering within my process of recording. Send all the track like rhythm guitar, lead guitar, drumchannels and so on to their own bus channels, do some post processing like eqing, limiting, mutliband, fft filter, dynamics and some verb and then send all that to the master mixer, where there is also some sort of processing, like Limiter, FFT as well, Multiband. I think that's all.

IamLukas

Reaction score
Great tone and great mix!!!

What guitar effects did you use to get the tone in the axe fx?

Well, actually there are no effects. Just drv, amp, cab, para eq. For lead guitar I turn on the verb and delay, and turn it up how I need it.
And yes, it's the Axe standard.

IamLukas

Reaction score
the whole thing is fantastic

did you add the tse-808 into your chain?if you could elaborate further on the guitar tone that would be awesome

i tried a similar thing with TSE808 Das Metal and german ab but i think i overcooked the whole thing with eq and compression and it just sounded sterile and false your tone sounds very bouncy and alive if that makes sense,more like what im after.cheers

No there's nothing in the chain. I just route the rhythm guitar bus to some paralle compression bus, where also the drums are running through (parts of it like bassdrum, snare and overheads) to get that punch/attack.
The important thing is to cut the high shit out of your tone in your daw. I always record 1 guitar 100 % right and 1 100 % left, do some high cut at about 50 hz to get rid of that unnecessary hum and then do y low cut at about 7,4 khz to erase that shit you don't need. Remember, you can always eq the shit out of it, just trust your ears. If you think it sounds too scooped, always reduce around 2 khz. That frequency is the radiosound frequency. You really don't need that. Cut as much as you need to get a rounder, warmer tone. I boost at about 70-80 hz too.
In the guitar bus I always love to use an FFT filter. That special tool gives you, what you need! You really have to experiment with that. Cut and boost some frequencies to get an idea, of what it does. Do it step by step and listen closely. Since i have my axe, I never figured out, how to get that punchy and fat sound in the lows. So I started to use the FFt filter. You can boost the lows with that filter und it does exactly, what you're looking for, trust me.
You can cut and boost, also change the character of your tone...give more chunk, more punch, more low end, more high end...just be careful and use a pair of fresh ears. If you overfilter your tone, you get some really bad results and noises, you really don't want to have.
If you have more questions, just ask me guys!
I am always happy to help you out!
By the way, I've done a new mixtest with much more low end than before,
go and check it out!

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...-standard-superior-drummer-slate-trigger.html

Thank you all!
Lukas

')