Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Guess I'm the only one that noticed they weren't playing the 2228's :cool:

I thought you guys had an endorsement deal that said you had to play your Ibby's? Maybe I'm just making this up because of the Icarus Lives video. :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Oracle-

BRAINZZZ!!!
Reaction score

I thought you guys had an endorsement deal that said you had to play your Ibby's? Maybe I'm just making this up because of the Icarus Lives video. :scratch:

as far as I know, Alex and Jake are still endorsed by Ibby, while misha is a "free bird" :D

bulb

Reaction score

We werent "required" to play anything, they hadnt sent us guitars yet, i used my Ibby as a sign of good faith even though it was an 8 string.
I left Ibanez shortly after that so i played my Bernie Rico Jr. 6 string for the vid.
The other guys are using their LACS Customs for the video (even though its a 6 string song haha)

Bobo

Reaction score
Awesome video and concept! Even a new version of the song :agreed: Glad I clicked this thread for the thousandth time :)

JakePeriphery

who callin my phone?
Reaction score
We werent "required" to play anything, they hadnt sent us guitars yet, i used my Ibby as a sign of good faith even though it was an 8 string.
I left Ibanez shortly after that so i played my Bernie Rico Jr. 6 string for the vid.
The other guys are using their LACS Customs for the video (even though its a 6 string song haha)

Gotta show that gorgeous shit off sen!

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
So tonight Periphery are coming to play in my area!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so f***ing pumped

They aren't bringing anyone with them :( but for $10 i will not complain!

Cant wait to meet Bulb and the rest of the crew :D

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
So tonight Periphery are coming to play in my area!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so f***ing pumped

They aren't bringing anyone with them :( but for $10 i will not complain!

Cant wait to meet Bulb :D

I would probably like them more playing solo then with some of the bands they have been with.

MrakShores

Reaction score
sweet vid!! though I wish the camera hadn't picked up our Jessica Rabbit conversation.... ugh, incriminating evidence.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Does anyone else love reading all the hate on MetalSucks
or any other site with Periphery?
It's seriously amazing!
You get a band with good riffs catchiness, people love it.
You throw in a really talented and promising singer, people hate it.
I'm so amazed with everyone's criticism and criticalness of music!
What a sweet world.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
this is awesome, I want this version of the song. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd prefer all clean vocals in Periphery.

My favorite parts by far on the album are the really melodic moments and Bulb's more melodic solos.

The part in Letter Experiment "In our minds adventure is always listening..." into the solo is my absolute favorite sequence on the album, when I heard it the first time, I was rewinding that shit ad nauseum.

definitely the more traditional prog metal elements >>> djenty stuff as far as my tastes and periphery's music coincide.

I'm with you dude. I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on earth who wants heavy metal with lush vocal harmonies, ala Yes or King's X, with growls and screams thrown in as occasional accents, if at all. I sure hope Periphery continues in this direction. Spencer still has yet to fully find his unique voice, but he's getting there fast and he's got immense potential. This new version of Jetpacks is awesome.

lava

Gelatinous
Reaction score
misha.jpg

jaco815

Reaction score
There was once upon a time when I posted this:

@bulb
Is there any possibility of a re-record, re-release sometime in the near future with all new scream parts? Meshuggah originally recorded Nothing with 7 strings drop tuned and were never totally content with the results so they went back and retracked the guitars after they got their 8's. If Meshuggah can do it, Periphery can at least attempt (I'm not going to say Periphery CAN do it because Meshuggah are literally gods).
Please consider. Spencer seems willing since he retracked The Walk. This could be a quick job that would only help you guys.

... to which Jake Bowen replied,

That's not going to happen, at least any time soon. We don't need to "win" anyone over, we're extremely proud of our first record and we don't really see any need to re-record the whole thing because of a couple of whiners who don't think Spencer is "kvlt" enough. The amount of stuff Spencer had to learn and adapt to when he joined this band is so extraordinary that I don't think anyone fully appreciates what he did and continues to do - also aside from some a couple songs Spencer wrote completely on his own - he had to learn and rewrite vocal melodies and arrangements that were already in place which were written by Tom, Misha, and Casey. Besides some lyrics Chris did very minimal work on that stuff.
Spencer re-recorded The Walk to show the band some stuff he was working on, that's it.
edit: This isn't really directed at you btw, just my thoughts on how many people try to bring these internet comments to my attention.

...and Misha agreed with Jake wholeheartedly:

I need to address this again since a question like this only shows that you misunderstand we write for ourselves, people could bitch about this and tha but that is so completely irrelevant to us and if they want us to change then the aren't truly our fans and I have no business in trying to convert them, they are fully entitled to their opinion. The interesting thing is that the internet is a loud minority, and is not representational of anything accurate so even if you are in a band that would change for their fansi highly reccomend you don't read online comments as your basis for change. If that were true then bands like slipknot and korn wouldn't be able to get more than 10 kids to a show since everyone online seems to hate on them when actually they pack clubs ad arenas.
At the end of the day the message is stay true to yourself and your musical goals, no amount of hate on anyone in my band will change my approach to what I do, ill just keep on putting out music with my projects and if you like it then awesome and if you don't then that's cool too cuz noone is forcing you to listen haha!

... and then this happened:

... in which they clearly re-recorded vocals, a guitar solo, and removed all the screams (like 3 screams total I think) for some reason (maybe to make it more accessible to girls? Girls suck ass anyway). I love this band's music - I really do - and I appreciate the version in this video and have unspeakable amounts of jealousy for all of their individual talents. What I don't get is why they would say one thing and claim to have this artistic integrity and that they stand behind what they recorded, and then they prove that they like money enough to change their damned song for the sake of radio play. I like what they said about being true to themselves, and this one doesn't fell like that to me. It feels almost like their label wanted it.

BTW, Spencer's new vocal skills are killer. With as phenomanal as his cleans are, I can only imagine the screams these days.

')