Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

MacTown09

Reaction score
Periphery,

If in the future you do try to impress girls for their money, I suggest you shoot more video featuring Alex as he seems to have the largest muscles of the lot. Love the rerecord. Vocals sit MUCH better and add a new dimension to the track.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jogeta

Reaction score
I really don't want to appear like I'm on a bandwagon.

But I fucking love everything Misha does.

Fuck, I'm on a bandwagon.

Don't care. :fawk:

Go away, I loved him first!!!!

I got called a "teenage girl with a crush" or something along those lines for saying this kind of thing :lol:

Back on topic: I can't wait to see you guys in Manchester! Genuine excitement going on right here!
Will you, TesseracT and Monuments all be using the same AxeFX stuff?
It just occurred to me that this could be the "lightest" tour ever in terms of overall weight of gear!
Not having to lug ridiculously heavy heads/cabs for the triumphant victory :metal:

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
the only actual change is the arrangement and the vocals that result from that, there are better takes of the rest of the vocals and the solo but those are pretty much the same if you compare them

Bulb I was going to say, big props on the solo, the album version was great, but listening to this version, all the accenting and bringing it up, just made it sing, listening to it, it sounded SO natural and real, a great quality to bring to the table. :yesway::yesway:

I quite enjoy the new version, it sounds more natural and works more as a song.

Heh, someone on Got-Djent mashed together Bulb's song "Breeze" with the vocals from some Paramore tune, and the resulting tune is surprisingly catchy!

Bulb - Brezze (feat. Hayley Williams) by slackerpo on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

It's in the Recording Studio yo ;)

The problem is, everyone seems to link clean vocals with commercial viability, but thats not the case. Sometimes a song works better with clean vocals, and thats is proved here.

Clean vocals are half the reason I love Periphery. Although they do have about 17 halves.

Edit: I'm an idiot that just tri-posted. :lol:

Double edit: Thank you mod for fixing. :D

Gorbs413

Reaction score
Not Enough Mana might not make it, we got screwed by someone we were counting on for studio time at the last minute for spence to record his vocals, trying to figure out other solutions so that it can happen, otherwise it will be on the next album
NOOOO!!! I REALLY hope Spencer can record his vocals in time. Not Enough Mana was the one track I was looking forward to hearing most!!

ChrisOfTheSky

Reaction score
Oh man, I really hope Not enough mana makes it onto the EP!

It's such a great song and i can only imagine that it sounds even more incredible re-recorded and with vocals.

Either way, at least Frak the Gods will slay :D

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
I'm... I'll just leave this here...

86kcY.jpg

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
Me and my roommate (Verity on here) are going too! It's gonna be SICK!!

It was very sick indeed. I just got back from it. They played great and they are all very nice guys. It was nice getting to talk to Jake and Misha.

Misha, I was the one in the BTBAM track jacket. If you guys ever make any, I'm a guaranteed buyer :D

jaco815

Reaction score
Now, for those of you who ACTUALLY care and will be receptive to this, this is what ACTUALLY happened:
We were approached with the idea of a radio edit. Everyone in the band thought, meh thats gay we are gonna have to have a castrated Periphery song out there and we were initially against it.
But we figured we might as well try it out and see what comes out, and i think Spence writes amazing vocal lines, so i said we would attempt it, but that if it sucked (which we all assumed it would) we wouldnt go through with it.
We ended up with a version we thought was so good compared to the album version that we not only decided it should be the official version, but that the video should also feature it. (Because if it truly was a radio edit, we wouldnt have played it live and we sure as hell wouldnt have shot a video for it)

And thats all there is to it. Pretty simple really!

That's awesome, man. Way to own the shit out of me. I definitely needed it. Seriously awesome explanation.

On other comments, no I don't feel like I deserve anything, this is a forum on which I was expressing an opinion. If we didn't have opinions this forum would be fairly bleak. I would like to maybe see them play live one time, that would be cool. I haven't gotten to see them yet because I live in Hawaii and there is probably no chance of them coming here yet (airline ticket prices are steep). This place couldn't even sell out Tool last week in a small arena. They ended up making tickets so expensive that it prevented a lot of people from buying.

I believe Misha said Spencer records his vocals seperately, does anyone know what recording studio he goes to for it? I hope its not in CA...

I read somewhere on something that Spencer did some vocals in San Diego (I think that was around the time a few months ago when he redid "The Walk" or did that track for Haunted Shores) but I don't know if all the vocals were tracked there. IlluminateStudio on Myspace in Vista, CA (just north of San Diego) has a bunch of Periphery samples up on their music page, implying that he did vocals there.

I've been wondering about the feasibility of recording vocals at home. I figure with mixing skills like Misha has, it might be possible to make it sit right in the mix, but if I tried to track loud vocals at my friend's place or mine, neighbors would once again file noise complaints. I know that Jack Conte ( YouTube - Kitchen Fork - VideoSong - Jack Conte ) tracks vocals in his bedroom and gets some good results, although I guess sometimes they sound a little "boxy".

Periphery: Have you guys tried tracking vocals at home or has it all been in the studio?

bulb

Reaction score
we have, but you need 3 things to do vocals well

a space where you can make noise, good vocal equipment (mics, preamps) and talent to produce them

i currently have NONE of those things haha.

matt murphy's "studio" is just a bedroom as well, and the periphery album vocals were recorded in a tiny closet.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
TWICE AS BADASS

Agreed. When I was living in Honolulu, I had a friend who put it to me this way:

"If you could fly, would you wanna fly like Silver Surfer, or Superman?"

That really stuck with me. I haven't been able to look at boogie boarding the same way since.

Nice to hear the vocals were recorded in a closet. I've been thinking about trying that.

jaco815

Reaction score
I saw one time that Lil Jon records vocals in the corner of a room in a fort built out of mattresses!

lil_jon_dave_chappelle_l_461c9a590dec5.jpg

It would probably work well.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah but Lil Wayne uses so much autotune no one would notice if he recorded it inside his own ass.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
Dont worry, ill still be nice to the rest of you guys.
But when someone wants to be obtuse for no reason other than to just try to release some much needed endorphins into his system, i have no qualms with putting him in his place haha

You're entitled, as the 23rd Most Influential Person according to Brown Magazine. :agreed:

Or have you moved up in position yet AFTER YOUR MASSIVE CLEAN VOCAL SELLOUT EH? :lol: :wub:

')