Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing your point :lol: I just thought you were pointing out that ibanez made them LACS's an that excuses Ibanez of helping them out for overseas tours.

No.

Somebody said Ibanez don't treat their mid level endorsees very well, yet Jake and Alex have LACS guitars - I don't know whether they paid for them or whatnot, but tbh if I was offered an LACS, I wouldn't feel mistreated haha.

I don't know who the transport of guitars is up to, I would initally have assumed it was up to the owner to carry his own guitar round on tour, but it seems to be more complicated than that, I have no idea haha. Sounds like the guys at BRJ and Mayones (who I met at London Guitar Show a couple of years ago, so know for a fact) are really great dudes. I'd love to work closer with a smaller company rather than be another endorsee for one of the big boys.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Oh yeah, why I came into this thread.

Anybody (bulb...?) shed a little light on the kind of hardware/software that being used to record these tracks? The production's amazing. I'm not really into recording, I've never really tried but I didn't realise it was possible to get these kind of results from home.

Kudos for that by the way, hardware and software aside, it takes some serious skill and work to produce something like that.

Reaction score
fuck yeah, old school periph with Veredika.

but i personally like the newer version.

Oh yeah, I much prefer the newer version of this song, but no disrespect intended to Spencer, I prefer the heavier vocals.

The 'Walk hard' track that he put up on his Myspace was AMAZING. I'm hoping they it'll be available for purchase/download sometimes soon.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I much prefer the newer version of this song, but no disrespect intended to Spencer, I prefer the heavier vocals.

The 'Walk hard' track that he put up on his Myspace was AMAZING. I'm hoping they it'll be available for purchase/download sometimes soon.
oh, i understand what you mean. me and veredika are talking about putting him on one of the tracks for the vocal version of monarch. i love his vocals too.

spencer's definitely coming into his own as a vocalist (well, not at this exact point in time because the LXD tour is apparently cursed lol, j/k) and i have nothing but respect for his growth. i was really reluctant at first (Barretto fanboy. sue me), but he's won me over, for certain. haha.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Oh yeah, why I came into this thread.

Anybody (bulb...?) shed a little light on the kind of hardware/software that being used to record these tracks? The production's amazing. I'm not really into recording, I've never really tried but I didn't realise it was possible to get these kind of results from home.

Kudos for that by the way, hardware and software aside, it takes some serious skill and work to produce something like that.

If you're asking what he used for the album, that'd be something like this:
Axe-FX Ultra for guitars
Pod X3 for bass
Superior Drummer 2 (+Metal Foundry) for drums
Some epic engineering skills for vocals

Tracked in Cubase 5(?).

+ Bulb as the engineer

= Periphery album

Last time I heard, he said that Blackmachines are his favourite six strings when it comes to recording. And for seven that would be JP7. Don't know if he used Bareknuckles for all the guitar tracks on the album, but atleast the blackmachines did have BKP's.

Bassist AFAIK, used a dingwall, ibanez or Mishas Schecter.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from the Munich gig. Fucking awesome show.
Safety fire really impressed me, great songs and cool guys.
I wasn't a Monuments fan before, but now I certainly am. They fucking kicked the fuck out of that venue. damn.
And as for periphery, Spencer did sing after all though I doubt it was the right decision for his voice but for the fans it was amazing. Thank you so much to all the guys in Periphery for pulling through (especially spencer) considering all the ailments and illnesses. Jake did look a bit bored behind the merch stand, poor guy.
I was stupid enough to ask him how his finger was, I wonder how often he gets asked that every day, whoops.

bulb

Reaction score
Axe-FX Ultra for guitars
Pod X3 for bass

Tracked in Cubase 5(?).

+ Bulb as the engineer

= Periphery album

Last time I heard, he said that Blackmachines are his favourite six strings when it comes to recording. And for seven that would be JP7. Don't know if he used Bareknuckles for all the guitar tracks on the album, but atleast the blackmachines did have BKP's.

The drums actually were just S2.0, didnt use metal foundry on it at all.
We used a TLM149 for the screams and most of the vocals and a Sony C800G for all the singing on Jetpacks, the Choruses of All New Materials and Buttersnips and all the singing on Zyglrox and Racecar (the studio we recorded at didnt have that mic till the end of the session sadly)
All through an A Designs Pacifica Preamp.

Bass was a Schecter Stiletto 5 String piece of crap with dead strings through my podx3 haha, gonna get a Mayones bass for the next album, tried a few out and they are EPIC AS SHIT!!

Guitars were Blackmachine B2 with BKP Coldsweat/Painkiller combo for all 6 string stuff, all cleans and layers on all songs that i could play on it and all leads.
JP7 with the original custom dimarzios (amazing pickups!) for 7 string rhythms and cleans and layers i couldnt get with the B2

Used axefx on everything, nothing in front nothing after, straight to a presonus firepod interface.

bulb

Reaction score
Just got back from the Munich gig. Fucking awesome show.
Safety fire really impressed me, great songs and cool guys.
I wasn't a Monuments fan before, but now I certainly am. They fucking kicked the fuck out of that venue. damn.
And as for periphery, Spencer did sing after all though I doubt it was the right decision for his voice but for the fans it was amazing. Thank you so much to all the guys in Periphery for pulling through (especially spencer) considering all the ailments and illnesses. Jake did look a bit bored behind the merch stand, poor guy.
I was stupid enough to ask him how his finger was, I wonder how often he gets asked that every day, whoops.

Thanks so much for coming out dude, though i must admit today was not our best show by a long shot (especially with the power cutting out TWICE!? WTF?), but i guarantee you next time around we will be better and so will our performance haha!

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for coming out dude, though i must admit today was not our best show by a long shot (especially with the power cutting out TWICE!? WTF?), but i guarantee you next time around we will be better and so will our performance haha!

Yeah, that was pretty funny :) But you know nobody gave a fuck right? Shit happens. It was made funnier by the moments it happened at. ABOUT TO FUCKING GO CRAZY HEAVY.......black. I hope your equipment didn't get damaged by it.
I was gonna say hi to you after the gig, but you guys looked pretty pooped so I just bought a shirt and went home. Another day, and I'll bring you some cheese too :)

Also, big up to the safety fire for coming all the way by (6 hehe) trains to Munich after their van broke down, with no equipment. For me it was well worth it, so thank you very much!

and of course thanks for all bands for putting on a damn good show. I must say they could have done with turning the PA down a little for Periphery, at least leaving it at the same level as for Monuments.
That venue doesn't need to be blasted like crazy.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
The drums actually were just S2.0, didnt use metal foundry on it at all.
We used a TLM149 for the screams and most of the vocals and a Sony C800G for all the singing on Jetpacks, the Choruses of All New Materials and Buttersnips and all the singing on Zyglrox and Racecar (the studio we recorded at didnt have that mic till the end of the session sadly)
All through an A Designs Pacifica Preamp.

Bass was a Schecter Stiletto 5 String piece of crap with dead strings through my podx3 haha, gonna get a Mayones bass for the next album, tried a few out and they are EPIC AS SHIT!!

Guitars were Blackmachine B2 with BKP Coldsweat/Painkiller combo for all 6 string stuff, all cleans and layers on all songs that i could play on it and all leads.
JP7 with the original custom dimarzios (amazing pickups!) for 7 string rhythms and cleans and layers i couldnt get with the B2

Used axefx on everything, nothing in front nothing after, straight to a presonus firepod interface.

Yea, one of the things that bothered me on the album was the lack of bass audibility. It sure was there beefing the guitars, but didn't pop out as an instrument that well.

Also hoping for some seriously killing bass lines for the new album!

So do you think that you're using podx3 for bass on upcoming releases as well? I've gotten some seriously epic bass sounds out of the Axe-FX, but do you think that podx3 is the one for bass?

bulb

Reaction score
Yea, one of the things that bothered me on the album was the lack of bass audibility. It sure was there beefing the guitars, but didn't pop out as an instrument that well.

Also hoping for some seriously killing bass lines for the new album!

So do you think that you're using podx3 for bass on upcoming releases as well? I've gotten some seriously epic bass sounds out of the Axe-FX, but do you think that podx3 is the one for bass?

i was actually really happy with the way the bass came out on the recording to be honest, despite the crappy bass it still sounded good to me
its definitely designed to mesh perfectly with the guitars so that they become one instrument, but there are some sections where its on its own and i was stoked with how that came out
so im definitely sticking with the x3 for bass

exxecutor

Reaction score
Just came home from the Vienna show... What an evening! Great performances by all bands, huge sound, nice setlist and so many beautiful guitars ;)
Thanks guys!

georg_f

Reaction score
gig in Vienna yesterday was beyond amazing
Spencer was singing like a maniac again

I was in the very front row: There was lots of strobe light blinding my eyes, Bulb almost poked me in the eye with the pointy headstock of his guitar... need to dodge that when in the front row... also need to doge some of Spencers microphone swings lol
well, the meaning of all this is that the stage was hilariously small, the drums had to be placed under a small arch (the venue is built under an almost historical bridge)... but I think this added to the whole experience, it was an up close and personal gig... place was packed

oh and Periphery really worked the subwoofers that are placed under the stage, directly in front of you if you are in the front row

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Axe-FX Ultra for guitars
Pod X3 for bass

Tracked in Cubase 5(?).

+ Bulb as the engineer

= Periphery album

It wasn't so much the tone as the production value; incredible quality for what's essentially a bedroom recording!

Any hardware between axe/pod haha, that's what I'm interested in.

Latest posts

')