Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

georg_f

Reaction score
just checked the mentioned microphones and... holy crap, it's some really expensive stuff:
Sony C800G: 8800$
Neumann TLM 149: 5000$

It wasn't so much the tone as the production value; incredible quality for what's essentially a bedroom recording!

Any hardware between axe/pod haha, that's what I'm interested in.
might be straigt into the recording interface. I'm assuming that there are lots of vst plugins in Cubase though that shape the sound. The most expertise lies probably in the settings and combination of all those vsts, rather than the settings of the HW preamp stuff (excluding the Axe Fx)

BY THE WAY: Does anyone know what live mic Spencer is using? He clearly brought his own mic as opposed to using one from the venue. It looke really neat, it had some sort of titanium chrome looking finish...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
It wasn't so much the tone as the production value; incredible quality for what's essentially a bedroom recording!

Any hardware between axe/pod haha, that's what I'm interested in.

nothing in front, nothing after on either axefx or pod, i used cheapo 1/4 inch cables out to my presonus firepod
worked fine for me!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
nothing in front, nothing after on either axefx or pod, i used cheapo 1/4 inch cables out to my presonus firepod
worked fine for me!

Worked fine for us too! :lol:

And all the boys used same guitars, not their own, am I right?

E: Now that we're talking of production, I'm going to ask one thing that's been in my mind for long. How do you pan your guitars, and how many guitar tracks do you keep per riff?

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
the drums had to be placed under a small arch (the venue is built under an almost historical bridge)...

Thats the ussual place for the drums at the Chelsea. :) Except for really small bands, 2-man-projects and stuff, but also those like to place the drums there mostly.

Concert was good. It's not really my cup of tea, but i enjoy watching good musicians. Tight performance, no complains!

bulb

Reaction score
just checked the mentioned microphones and... holy crap, it's some really expensive stuff:
Sony C800G: 8800$
Neumann TLM 149: 5000$

might be straigt into the recording interface. I'm assuming that there are lots of vst plugins in Cubase though that shape the sound. The most expertise lies probably in the settings and combination of all those vsts, rather than the settings of the HW preamp stuff (excluding the Axe Fx)

BY THE WAY: Does anyone know what live mic Spencer is using? He clearly brought his own mic as opposed to using one from the venue. It looke really neat, it had some sort of titanium chrome looking finish...

actually i think its was a tlm 103, that one is more like 1000 bucks and im not crazy about it, but yeah the c800g is really pricey haha, just the power supply for it is expensive.

his live mic is a blue encore 200 which actually sounds amazing. its an active dynamic mic, it is incredibly detailed and suits his voice really well. the only issue with it is that on small stages, because matt hits his drums so hard and because its such a hot mic, it picks up way too much of matt, especially when spence is not singing, and that kinda messes with the live mix.
trying to find a mic that would counter that problem and still sound good. maybe the audix i5, or maybe blue has another mic that does that cuz their mics are pretty damn amazing

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
Yo Bulb if you see The Safety Fire's driver, Marc, give him a hug, I hear he's been going through hell on the tour :(

georg_f

Reaction score
actually i think its was a tlm 103, that one is more like 1000 bucks and im not crazy about it, but yeah the c800g is really pricey haha, just the power supply for it is expensive.

his live mic is a blue encore 200 which actually sounds amazing. its an active dynamic mic, it is incredibly detailed and suits his voice really well. the only issue with it is that on small stages, because matt hits his drums so hard and because its such a hot mic, it picks up way too much of matt, especially when spence is not singing, and that kinda messes with the live mix.
trying to find a mic that would counter that problem and still sound good. maybe the audix i5, or maybe blue has another mic that does that cuz their mics are pretty damn amazing

cool, thanks for the infos. Blue mics are indeed amazing. I have a blueberry.

All the encore 200 needs would be an on/off switch then, someone needs to mod it :mrburns:

b00nb00n

Reaction score
Matt doesn't only break three cymbals with one swing of a stick, he also destroys his bass drum pedal by mistake, letting it fly around the stage before it damages a XLR cable. Glad I'm still alive :ugh: Sick show guys :metal:

Anyone else attending the show in Switzerland tonight? Let me know!

Baden? Don't tell me you're the dude who hit me up because the Periphery shirt you wanted was not available at the merch booth...

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear this too!

Worked fine for us too! :lol:

And all the boys used same guitars, not their own, am I right?

E: Now that we're talking of production, I'm going to ask one thing that's been in my mind for long. How do you pan your guitars, and how many guitar tracks do you keep per riff?

Goatchrist

Reaction score
Baden? Don't tell me you're the dude who hit me up because the Periphery shirt you wanted was not available at the merch booth...

Yeah, that was me! :D

THis was one of the best concert I've ever been.. no doubt.. but way too short :p

Gitte

Reaction score
so berlin was the only show with no singer?? hmmm wow he got better very fast... good for me that i didnt pay for my ticket...

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
so berlin was the only show with no singer?? hmmm wow he got better very fast... good for me that i didnt pay for my ticket...

He sang in Munich, but he really shouldn't have. He was very ill and you could tell he was straining the shit out of his voice.

and since you didn't pay for your ticket I hope you bought a t-shirt. The rest of the band was still there and gave it their all

TimTomTum

Reaction score
Berlin was supermega. And thanks to you, misha, for letting me play your Rico.
After that show I felt like an annoying foolish fanboy. But it was worth it. :shred:

Even though it was instrumental the show was so energetic. My mate and me, we were flashed, our whole train ride back home. Please, come back for more! :wavey:

FrankeR

Smooth Groove
Reaction score
H2wGb.gif

I had to do it.

eurolove

Reaction score
saw you guys in Nottingham, the live tone was sublime :) it was great that you stayed behind to talk afterwards, everyone was really modest as well! if you are reading this Misha, i was the dude who shouted "i want your babies!" considerably loudly. :)

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
My band Arc will have the pleasure of opening for the mighty Periphery when they come through Knoxville TN! Yay!

')