Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

noxian

Reaction score
i've never really understood this behavior of trying to tell bands what to do.

there's always this battle with fans and artists over what the actual relationship between the two is. and technology these days making the distance between the artists and the fans closer than ever seems to really make some fans think they're literally part of the band.

but there reaches a point where you have to be clear that if you're a fan of the band, you're a fan of what THEY create. not of what they create as proxy for what you wanted to have created.

or you're just not a fan, and you can go elsewhere.

but you're not really a fan of the band if you're demanding they create the music you want created. because your music isn't the band's music.
and frankly in no way shape of form do they ever become YOUR band simply because you bought their music.

this may be a cold summation of the relationship, but at the end of the day they create and you consume.

or don't consume.

but you're not part of the creation.

so you kind of have 1 of 2 choices = accept what they're producing or move on.
whether it's debates over who Periphery's vocalist should be.
should they even have a vocalist.
whatever.

hell, if Periphery becomes a Taylor Swift tribute pop country band next album, you still have 2 choices = accept it or move on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Pretty stoked for the show Friday. And I have a lesson with Jake again.
My life couldn't be better.

bulb

Reaction score
i've never really understood this behavior of trying to tell bands what to do.

there's always this battle with fans and artists over what the actual relationship between the two is. and technology these days making the distance between the artists and the fans closer than ever seems to really make some fans think they're literally part of the band.

but there reaches a point where you have to be clear that if you're a fan of the band, you're a fan of what THEY create. not of what they create as proxy for what you wanted to have created.

or you're just not a fan, and you can go elsewhere.

but you're not really a fan of the band if you're demanding they create the music you want created. because your music isn't the band's music.
and frankly in no way shape of form do they ever become YOUR band simply because you bought their music.

this may be a cold summation of the relationship, but at the end of the day they create and you consume.

or don't consume.

but you're not part of the creation.

so you kind of have 1 of 2 choices = accept what they're producing or move on.
whether it's debates over who Periphery's vocalist should be.
should they even have a vocalist.
whatever.

hell, if Periphery becomes a Taylor Swift tribute pop country band next album, you still have 2 choices = accept it or move on.

if only everyone else was this sensible haha
but yeah this sums it up ever so well, thanks dude.

i think people sometimes forget that money/fame/etc are not a motivation for a lot of musicians, and definitely not for us (or we would definitely have picked a style of music that is actually popular and can actually generate those things)
The band and i are still doing what we were doing back when no one knew or cared about us, and that is writing something that we can be proud of.
We love our fans, but we love them because they accept what we write, not because they want to change us, and as much as everyone is entitled to their opinion, saying "i wish they would x, y and z" will literally have no bearing on what we do and is therefore just waste of time on their part.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
as much as everyone is entitled to their opinion, saying "i wish they would x, y and z" will literally have no bearing on what we do and is therefore just waste of time on their part.

I understand this, but discouraging people from giving their opinions on what they wish you would do pretty much negates the entire purpose of a discussion board.

I wish spencer would only sing clean and not scream anymore, it would increase my enjoyment of periphery's music, so that is something I will say on a message board like this one.

Will I lose sleep over it? Will I slit my wrists if he continues to scream? No, I just wanted to put my personal opinion out there. Like your music, like his singing, don't like his screaming. the end. Not telling anyone what to do, just stating a personal preference.

Like when I said half mockingly in the Tesseract thread that they should try starting a song without clean guitars and reverb, someone immediately jumped on me like YO BRO WHY DON'T YOU DO THAT IN YOUR OWN MUSIC THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT ITS THEIR BAND SHUT UP.

no reason to get butthurt over opinions on message boards. That's all. Actually opinions, not "this is gay" or something like that.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
not tell a band, it just so happens that Periphery members post here.

When some guy in the morbid angel thread says that he prefers Steve Tucker, is he telling the band to bring him back as vocalist? Nope, he's discussing the bands music and stating his opinions on it.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Okay lets rephrase it:

I know a lot of reasons to keep up a discussion board other than state opinions about band or band members.

I mean, I agree with you on the fact that it's fine to point out you like Spencer's singing etc., it's just that some dudes on the forum doesn't leave it there, but even start arguing why they are right with their opinions and the band should do it their way.

Not blaming you.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
it's just that some dudes on the forum doesn't leave it there, but even start arguing why they are right with their opinions and the band should do it their way.

yeah that's annoying. I see that on hip hop message boards a lot, everyone things they're an A&R.

rug

Reaction score
Musicians and songwriters are inherently selfish - and I mean that in an absolutely POSITIVE way. I would be very surprised if even a handful of guitarists started off playing because they were like "oh, I bet my friend would really like to hear me play something like *this*". You start writing music because YOU want to enjoy it, and it's not for anyone else's benefit. It's obviously nice if they do enjoy it :)D), but that shouldn't be the goal. I started playing guitar and writing songs because I was bummed when I would buy cds (remember those?) as a kid only to find half or more of the album wasn't very good. I thought to myself, why don't ALL of the songs sound good? I bet I could write stuff that sounds good, etc etc. I'm sure almost everyone on here has a similar type of story.

Musicians and songwriters are (and should be) selfish when it comes to their music, and I really wouldn't have it any other way.

bulb

Reaction score
yeah that's annoying. I see that on hip hop message boards a lot, everyone things they're an A&R.

Right, i actually agree with you dude, and of course this is a discussion forum, i dont mind seeing peoples opinions at all both positive and negative.

Im not even saying that i mind when people state their opinions in an attempt to change us supposedly for our own good when really its just to their personal taste, even though those people tend to repeat their same opinion over and over since it generally gets ignored (especially in this thread), all i am saying is that their efforts to do so have been, are currently, and will continue to be futile. But i have no qualms with them trying haha!

Bradd

Reaction score
Um, i Just like all of periphery..... bulb, if ya ever running low on space i will put up the transport costs for you to send me a guitar, or amp, or interface, or axe fx. :p

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I used to bitch and moan about the vocals as well...Then I actually got the CD and realised I should just shut the fuck up...It's like Dream Theater, yeah they could get a different vocalist that you may consider to be better etc but at the end of the day when I picture DT I hear James Labrie because he is their chosen voice. I've grown to love Labrie's voice and I think it fits the band, like wise I now love Spencers though bitched and moaned like a twat at first. At the end of the day though when I listen to Periphery and close my eyes and try really really hard I can't just can't imagine anyone else taking that role...

He's a part of the sound that they're comfortable with and he works well with them, in time I'm sure this will be beneficial to all the members musical growth. With greater musical growth will come greater music, how the fuck they're gonna top the first album I don't know but I am excited as fuck that they're gonna have to try some day :D If Spencer is the missing piece or the glue that holds them together and they feel that way about it then awesome, I can't wait to hear the results that come of it :)

Now come to South Africa! I realise it's on the ass end of nowhere but damn it we never ever get anything cool...We have animals and shit...and traditionally the local music does involve polyrhythms...Just a thought :cool:

space frog

Reaction score
all those last posts should be archived or stickied or whatever could make it obvious for those elitist pricks that want to turn every band into their kind of band that out answer is :fawk:

mountainjam

Reaction score
I used to bitch and moan about the vocals as well...Then I actually got the CD and realised I should just shut the fuck up...It's like Dream Theater, yeah they could get a different vocalist that you may consider to be better etc but at the end of the day when I picture DT I hear James Labrie because he is their chosen voice. I've grown to love Labrie's voice and I think it fits the band, like wise I now love Spencers though bitched and moaned like a twat at first. At the end of the day though when I listen to Periphery and close my eyes and try really really hard I can't just can't imagine anyone else taking that role...

He's a part of the sound that they're comfortable with and he works well with them, in time I'm sure this will be beneficial to all the members musical growth. With greater musical growth will come greater music, how the fuck they're gonna top the first album I don't know but I am excited as fuck that they're gonna have to try some day :D If Spencer is the missing piece or the glue that holds them together and they feel that way about it then awesome, I can't wait to hear the results that come of it :)

Now come to South Africa! I realise it's on the ass end of nowhere but damn it we never ever get anything cool...We have animals and shit...and traditionally the local music does involve polyrhythms...Just a thought :cool:
I've gotta respectfully disagree with you...imo spencer is a fantastic singer and I can't imagine periphery benefiting anything by replacing him. DT on the other hand, would benefit immensly by replacing james with just about anybody. :2c:

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
Haha I'm laughing because I was sitting here thinking this is like a discussion I had about dream theater!!! Yeah Labrie is different but if you heard dream theater with say, geddy lee, it would be weird. But that's another matter, on this one, it would be weird to me to hear anyone other than Spencer since I got introduced to the band while Spencer was the singer. So I dig it and honestly, I'm a guitar player I tune out the vocals half the time anyways Haha.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Funny thing is, if Misha didn't release his stuff as bulb, and then release stuff with other vocalists, i.e. when people first heard this music with Spencer's vocals on them, I believe there would be much less complaints in this thread about Spencer.

Maybe he's not THE BEST VOCALIST EVER (not for me to say), but he's pretty good at what he does, and I believe he fits in really well with the music. That's more than what I can say for many other bands. Honestly I don't even like the instrumental stuff too much, it's too "same texture". The vocals add dynamics and feel to it. And I have no care for previous vocalists, I did hear them a few times before, but they're a thing of the past, so I don't really bother, and as I said I don't dislike Spencer. I also met the dude in person and he seemed like a really nice guy, which is better than what I hear about some of the previous vocalists. Also, the lyrics are great too.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an instrumental version, options are always good but in this case I understand how the band might want to take a stance and say "This is Periphery, the vocals are an integral part, take it or leave it". After all, the instrumental stuff is a favor to the fans. Do I see The Faceless, Obscura, Nevermore, or any other band with great instrumentation do a vocal-less version of their album? No. Do I see anyone complain? No. That's just how the band is. Yes, bulb has his roots in instrumental stuff, but that doesn't mean he isn't allowed to move away from that stuff and evolve. Most bands evolve, and this evolution always creates a divide. This is no different.

Reaction score
I had that initial reaction, when Spencer was first introduced. I didn't like the first couple of clips I heard, but the album showed that he had immense talent and not all of it had been tapped yet. Then, Frak the Gods BLEW MY MIND!!! His growls were crazy and the singing had little nuances in them that made em fucking amazing. And in my opinion, Spence can write fucking kick ass vocal lines (better than the older singers). I for one can't fucking wait to hear what shit he's gonna pull off in the next album.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
On internet forums, everyone is a hipster. Especially when it comes to music.

')