Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

space frog

Reaction score
Listener-wise, I thought One was pretty nice. I'd be curious what you guys did not like about it, artist-wise??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a bit of a derail from the earlier conversation, but I just finished reading the post on Misha's Blackmachine that got necrobumped and it left me with a few questions I was hoping maybe Misha or anyone on here could answer.

I'm sorry if these questions have been answered before but I'm really not up for scrolling through 100+ pages for them.

1) At one point in time Misha was using 8s though doesn't seem to have used one on the Periphery album, is this because it just never became called for? or are there maybe going to be some 8 string riffs on the next release? or did he just feel that 8s didn't work for him? :shred:

2) In the Icarus Lives video Misha has an RG2228, but that song can be played on a 7...WTF is up with that? :idea:

3) On Misha's soundclick there do seem to be a few tracks recorded with 8 strings, I was wondering what tuning he favoured? E-B-E-A-D-G-B-E like Tosin or something else? Something lower? :spock:

4) When making a big fat ass drum sound with Superior 2.0 does he use multiple layers (Like multi-tracking guitars but with drums) or is there another way to achieve that god like punch? :bowdown:<--- I realise this has probably been answered to death but I'm just gonna try my luck anyway :rolleyes:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
4) When making a big fat ass drum sound with Superior 2.0 does he use multiple layers (Like multi-tracking guitars but with drums) or is there another way to achieve that god like punch? :bowdown:<--- I realise this has probably been answered to death but I'm just gonna try my luck anyway :rolleyes:

Compression.
Drums don't get 'multitracked'. Some people like to stack snares etc. with the XDrum feature, but that is usually to get a mix of tonal elements from both. It doesn't make it sound bigger, just different. All the punch comes from compression.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
Compression.
Drums don't get 'multitracked'. Some people like to stack snares etc. with the XDrum feature, but that is usually to get a mix of tonal elements from both. It doesn't make it sound bigger, just different. All the punch comes from compression.
and from no compression, its all a virtue... if you compress too much the drums will end up as a single block of sound wich only punches on the song-start, if you do too less it will sound thin, its a matter of experience and taste to create a punchy but still open (=not overcompressed) mix, although bulbs mixes are very very dense compared to others in metal

Guitarholic

Booyah!
Reaction score
Jan has literally compiled everyone's reported issues on forums and fb and has sent them through.
If you guys didnt realize it already he takes care of fuckin business, and thats one of the many reasons we love him.
With that said hopefully all of this will be resolved soon!

Aw ... man ... thanks. I will stay on top of this and let you guys know when/if I hear something back on this.

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a derail from the earlier conversation, but I just finished reading the post on Misha's Blackmachine that got necrobumped and it left me with a few questions I was hoping maybe Misha or anyone on here could answer.

Sorry for necrobumping (awesome word by the way!) that thread. Was just too excited that I now own Misha's B6. Sick guitar, plays like a dream and sounds even better.

I'll let Misha answer your questions. Main reason they used the 8-string in the video for Icarus Lives is that the had just signed with Ibanez and wanted to show them some love. ;)

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
and from no compression, its all a virtue... if you compress too much the drums will end up as a single block of sound wich only punches on the song-start, if you do too less it will sound thin, its a matter of experience and taste to create a punchy but still open (=not overcompressed) mix, although bulbs mixes are very very dense compared to others in metal

What do you mean by dense if I may ask? :wavey:

Thanks everyone for the advice :) tis very useful for a noob like myself :bowdown:

@Guitarholic - It's chilled for the bump it was a cool read :) Necrobumping isn't my word though, I've seen it used here quite a few times :rolleyes: Also congratz on the guitar, it must be a dream come true :)

I can imagine wanting to show Ibby some love, they rock like that :hbang: Was just really confusing, wondering if they strung it with a higher note and then just with the G or G# or whatever it is on the bottom or if they just mimed the vibe :cool:

I find Misha's drum mixes to be really top notch, I wouldn't necessarily want the same drum sound in my music but I really admire how well he gets it to sit in a mix and how punchy it always is. All the info with regards to this is much appreciated as it is turning out invaluable with the recordings I'm currently doing :hbang:

Reaction score
im not much of an expert of mixing drums...but a great way to get a punchy sound on the kicks, snare and toms is using parallel compression (NY-style compression)...

CFB

Reaction score
Got my poster today :) still no sign of the vinyl and CD

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
I haven't received anything...

EDIT:
I e-mailed Merch Connection and they told me they ran out of LP's
and mine will be shipping out tomorrow. So if anyone else had the
same problem I did, I imagine you will get yours soon like myself.

Opeth666

Reaction score
you know i'll probably get neg repped for this but after reading the " murder due to listening to limp bizkit thread" but I went and listened to Rearranged and then immediately after I was listening to Periphery and deeply thought that Periphery could more than likely pull off a good cover of the tune. It will probably never happen but yeah.

Reaction score
Thought I'd also ask a question here. Don't know if this has been asked before, but are you guys planning on recording acoustic drums on the new album, or just sticking to electronic drums + SD2.0 (or whatever)?

VILARIKA

Reaction score
Thank you to the members of Periphery for providing me with great music to listen to, good clothes to wear, and a flag to rep! Swag. :cool:

bulb

Reaction score
Thought I'd also ask a question here. Don't know if this has been asked before, but are you guys planning on recording acoustic drums on the new album, or just sticking to electronic drums + SD2.0 (or whatever)?

We are demoing with everything from recorded acoustic to fully toontrack drums and we will go with what (or whatever combination) sounds best!

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
yargh, I just ordered a Periphery t-shirt! Shipping to Finland cost nearly as much as the shirt itself, but the combined price was still about the same as I usually pay for t-shirts at gigs over here, or even a little less :)

phatfil

Reaction score
We are demoing with everything from recorded acoustic to fully toontrack drums and we will go with what (or whatever combination) sounds best!

+100000000!!! nuttin' wrong with digital, imo. adds to the feel sometimes.

ok, so i pre-ordered the Icarus Lives ep with the long sleeve shirt. i also got a signed 14x10 poster which i wasn't expecting! :hbang: i either missed that when i ordered, or it was a super cool extra.

i've listened to it a few times, but only just realized that track 2, Frak, says 'instrumental' and it's def got vox. :scratch:

of course this has probably been mentioned, but this is the most daunting thread on the interwebs. i'll admit that i didn't look.

Latest posts

')