Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
Elliot is one of the best vocalists in the world as far as i am concerned, a genuinely good and kind person, and is not remotely in anyway a diva or anything like that. And now that he can scream and sing perfectly, he is the ideal vocalist for any kind of band honestly!

totally agree. i spend way too much time listening to his material on soundcloud.

Reaction score
Honestly if there is anything you want to know about the situation i would be happy to clear it up, i wont hold back or sugar coat it, we live in the information age, and if i dont get the facts out then rumors disguised as facts will get out.

So feel free to ask away guys, im an open book on this issue.

I love this approach and philosophy. You seem to really understand the times you're living in.

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
Elliot was definitely considered, but he didnt make the cut at the time for 2 reasons. One he didnt know how to scream consistently back then, and that was a very important part of our sound. And also he tends to come from a much more improvisational approach (which is actually incredible in his own right, he can bullshit the most amazing vocal lines on the spot) but because of the very composed and weird nature of our music, he had a bit of trouble writing stuff that would fit over certain sections that really needed carefully composed vocal lines.
But honestly this second issue i think would have worked itself out in time, the main problem was that he couldnt scream at that point in time.
Thats really cool info bro thanks!

Axefx II should be in my possession in the near future if all goes well!
Ha!!!! Fuck yes! I wonder how much the FAS amp model will change with the G2 modelling. Seeing as they're amps that aren't real amps to begin with I'm wondering how Cliff modelled the Modern to be the same amp with the VVT algorithm and all. BTW, I know you're already on like a million forums and ways, but you need to stop by the fractal forum a bit more lol.

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
If that was the worst thing he did or the worst thing about him, we wouldnt have fired him though, it probably was one of the many straws that broke the camel's back.

Not to get too gossipy but what was the worst thing?:cool:

bulb

Reaction score
Not to get too gossipy but what was the worst thing?:cool:

This to me is when he pretty much sealed his fate in my book:

It was the 3rd day of our first real tour and incidentally our first tour with him. Ash and Shawn, our Sumerian label heads, were throwing a little get together party at their house in LA and this was Chris's first time meeting them and his chance to make a good impression as our "new guy".

Now to backtrack a little for the sake of context, Chris had a gf of about 4 years i believe, pretty serious stuff, and yet before the tour even started, he admitted to us that he would most likely end up cheating on her on the road, but not to worry he would only do with with a perfect 10 (as if that justified it). The rest of us tend to be the faithful kind, so as much as we didnt understand this, we just said whatever and didnt make a big deal of it.

Anyways we are at this get together and he was making out with this random drunk chick who was there who seemed to not be very welcome either (and was by no means a 10, haha more like a drunk 5)
We tried to leave as we had a long drive to the next gig and not much time to do it in. So he asked for 15 more minutes which we reluctantly gave him just trying to keep everyone happy.
After about 10 he came running back and said "drama, drama, we gotta go"
Apparently he had taken the girl to Shawn (one of our label heads) rooms and was caught by Shawn fucking this random chick on his bed.
He had gone so far as to tell the chick that he lived in that house and therefore it was okay.
Needless to say Ash and Shawn were incredibly pissed off and kicked him out of the house immediately.
And this was our label heads first and only impression of Chris.

The worst part was that when we told him he had to apologize to them, he said "No way, they threw a party, they should expect shit like that to happen"
Didnt even think he did anything wrong. He said that because HE wouldnt care if that happened to him, that they had no right to be upset that he did that.

In my mind, everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes. There is nothing wrong with making a mistake and realizing it and not making it again, however if you dont even realize you did something wrong, how the hell can you improve your behavior?
This for me was the moment when i decided that i didnt want to be in a band with that dude, although as i said, this was just one of many issues.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
^:ugh: Wow... I've known some assholes that would cheat on their girlfriends and not see anything wrong with it, but I think that story takes the cake. Far beyond anyone I've known. Geeeez...

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
This to me is when he pretty much sealed his fate in my book:

It was the 3rd day of our first real tour and incidentally our first tour with him. Ash and Shawn, our Sumerian label heads, were throwing a little get together party at their house in LA and this was Chris's first time meeting them and his chance to make a good impression as our "new guy".

Now to backtrack a little for the sake of context, Chris had a gf of about 4 years i believe, pretty serious stuff, and yet before the tour even started, he admitted to us that he would most likely end up cheating on her on the road, but not to worry he would only do with with a perfect 10 (as if that justified it). The rest of us tend to be the faithful kind, so as much as we didnt understand this, we just said whatever and didnt make a big deal of it.

Anyways we are at this get together and he was making out with this random drunk chick who was there who seemed to not be very welcome either (and was by no means a 10, haha more like a drunk 5)
We tried to leave as we had a long drive to the next gig and not much time to do it in. So he asked for 15 more minutes which we reluctantly gave him just trying to keep everyone happy.
After about 10 he came running back and said "drama, drama, we gotta go"
Apparently he had taken the girl to Shawn (one of our label heads) rooms and was caught by Shawn fucking this random chick on his bed.
He had gone so far as to tell the chick that he lived in that house and therefore it was okay.
Needless to say Ash and Shawn were incredibly pissed off and kicked him out of the house immediately.
And this was our label heads first and only impression of Chris.

The worst part was that when we told him he had to apologize to them, he said "No way, they threw a party, they should expect shit like that to happen"
Didnt even think he did anything wrong. He said that because HE wouldnt care if that happened to him, that they had no right to be upset that he did that.

In my mind, everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes. There is nothing wrong with making a mistake and realizing it and not making it again, however if you dont even realize you did something wrong, how the hell can you improve your behavior?
This for me was the moment when i decided that i didnt want to be in a band with that dude, although as i said, this was just one of many issues.

There are no words..... :rofl: :ugh:

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
Oh wow! Haha, I've ditched better friends for way less things than that! I played in this band a few years back and I peered out our best singer because he had a problem of laying in the floor when he screamed, like a controlled tantrum.... if he fucked up that huge in front of people that really mattered and then wouldn't admit fault in it... I would have had to resort to murder most definitely.... lol.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
Didn't he also boohoo about his girlfriend afterwards? lol

As far as I'm concerned you stay loyal to your girlfriend 'cause it's hard enough to find one as it is. /forever alone

space frog

Reaction score
Wow... no offense intended since I don't know the dude, but he is a real dick

Trollface.png

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
Way to make them remember you. Not how I want to be remembered that's for sure!

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Bands are kinda like relationships - you have to find the perfect balance of things in order for them to work. If the talent is there but the maturity isn't, well the talent isn't going to matter if that person is a whiny, disrespecting douchebag. It's as simple as that.

I remember a thread on another forum where Misha described how the lyrics to Racecar I believe it was, was going to be Chris's sob story about his ex-girlfriend, or something to the effect of that. I'm kinda glad things panned out the way it did in that case! :lol:

bulb

Reaction score
Didn't he also boohoo about his girlfriend afterwards? lol

As far as I'm concerned you stay loyal to your girlfriend 'cause it's hard enough to find one as it is. /forever alone

Oh yeah dude, she finally broke up with him and he was a sobbing mess. Just crying "i just want my baby back", and i told him i couldnt feel sorry for him cuz it was his own damn fault.
I was trying to hang out with my gf at the time and she felt so sorry for him that she tried to console him with root beer floats and the like. The whole situation was so unbelievably pathetic.

He then tried to make the lyrics to racecar about a chase to win his girlfriend back, and we were all really unhappy about that, so when Spence joined he changed the lyrics to be about not being a cheating dick and taking responsibility for your actions in life hahah.

Fuckin owned.

Oh and then Chris moved to LA for a little bit to (and i swear to god im not making this up) teach guys how to hit on girls. He told everyone he was going on a personal journey. Haha, you seriously cant make this shit up!

bulb

Reaction score
Bands are kinda like relationships - you have to find the perfect balance of things in order for them to work. If the talent is there but the maturity isn't, well the talent isn't going to matter if that person is a whiny, disrespecting douchebag. It's as simple as that.

I remember a thread on another forum where Misha described how the lyrics to Racecar I believe it was, was going to be Chris's sob story about his ex-girlfriend, or something to the effect of that. I'm kinda glad things panned out the way it did in that case! :lol:

Honestly if the talent was there but he wasnt the best person in the world we would have kept him. And likewise if he wasnt the most talented but he was an awesome dude we would have kept him as well. But you cant suck in both categories and expect to last long in a band haha.

space frog

Reaction score
Oh. God. Stab me someone lol. That can't be true XD

Still, Spencer owned him lol, total pawn.

he unleashed the pawnies :cool:

:(

bulb

Reaction score
Way to make them remember you. Not how I want to be remembered that's for sure!

Especially considering that Ash and Shawn have A LOT of influence in the underground metal scene. Ash and Shawn are both really good dudes, but definitely not the kind of guys whose bad side you want to get on. Probably not a good thing for any band Chris is involved with, and this was one of the big reasons Mark and I did not want him associated with Haunted Shores at all.

')