Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Which is exactly what Bulb said. He's not saying "CRANK THE MIDS ON ALL AMPS!!!" He's saying EQ with your ears, not with the numbers on your amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
wow thank you so much guys! i am so happy that a lot of you guys are into what we are doing! i know it really isnt for everyone, so that makes it that much more special haha!

i like how everyone's signature looks like they just randomly scribbled and misha's is just 'bulb' written out

hehe that way you can actually make mine out, and also not sign for my credit cards teehee

we "personalized" a bunch to varying degrees, and i signed "Blub" on at least 10 posters, i wonder who got those...

bulb

Reaction score
I just got it and I'm blasting the instrumental version of the CD! I CANT GET ENOUGH.

But I do have one question: My poster is signed by all the members of the the band, there there is one more "signature" I'd guess you would call it. It says Sputz...... what is that?!

Oh yeah we signed these the day we played with dillinger and animals, Tosin signed a few of them and so did Dillinger's tech haha, and then some random people signed a bunch too, good times.
Look out for the "Tobin Arasi" sig on one or two of them hahah!

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
I'm glad he wrote this part:

"So the first thing I would recommend doing is setting your amp with your ear to the grille (ease off of that treble and presence buddeh!), and then at the same height but 5, 10 and 20 feet away so you would hear what the mic is hearing as well as the people In the front row."

:yesway:

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
A much better column than Masvidal's pseudo-intellectual pothead rambling. I wholeheartedly approve.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
100_3473.jpg

Sup? :D
I love how you all signed everywhere except the designated area for signing. :lol:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish there was some way to get hold of the CD over here in Europe other than paying the price of the CD in shipping from sumerian :(
Roadrunner germany still has no info on their site, and amazon cancelled my preorder

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
wow thank you so much guys! i am so happy that a lot of you guys are into what we are doing! i know it really isnt for everyone, so that makes it that much more special haha!

hehe that way you can actually make mine out, and also not sign for my credit cards teehee

we "personalized" a bunch to varying degrees, and i signed "Blub" on at least 10 posters, i wonder who got those...

:cool:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I have always boosted my mids. I remember (a long time ago) wondering why everyone reccomended the bass / treble boost and mid cut tone, because I thought it sounded like shit. I boosted my mids a bit, rolled back the treble and bass and voila, I had the cutting guitar tone I've used ever since.

I think I did go a bit overboard on gain once (No thanks to the shitty X2N7 pickup, the hottest, most shrill pickup I've ever heard) but now I'm primarily a lowish gain player now that I'm doing fusion more than anything. Even though I never gig, I've always thought boosting mids gave me a better tone, even just for bedroom playing. When you don't have mids, notes just get lost and it sounds like ass!

avenger

Reaction score
Hmmm I usally keep my mids around 2-3. Turning them up more makes my map (VH-140C) sound to "modern". For somethings it sounds decent but I prefer them down around 2-3 with treb/bass above them. I find with them in that range with gain and such set accordingly it gives me more of death metal chug. Maybe today I will try eq'ing with them turned up abit more.

Any suggestions?

Also good read. Not to much "SCOOPING IS EVIL MIDS TO THE MAX" type stuff.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing i din't already know, but if kids are looking up to Bulb and are reading this, im sure this article will do great good. :agreed:

Reaction score
If im not mistaken, my mids on my 6505 are at 8 or 9...No honking here :) I dont remember the rest of my eq`ing though.

Seriously? There's no way that could sound good.

Most people recording metal with 5150s have the mids between 2 and 3, because 5150s are extremely middy.

With a V30 cab, I think around 3 is good for recording... and maybe up to 4 or 4.5 at the most for live (and that's just to be able to hear yourself better).

Too many people have the "you have to boost your mids!" mentality without really understanding what they're talking about. Boosting your mids too much sounds just as bad as scooping them too much...

Reaction score
A much better column than Masvidal's pseudo-intellectual pothead rambling. I wholeheartedly approve.

I don't agree at all. I find a whole article basically saying "Hey n00bs, boost your mids so that you can hear yourself better and don't sound like shit to the audience" way less interesting than Paul's articles... yeah, he's a little "out there" I guess, but it's cool seeing someone who's genuinely unique & interesting and discussing things like that on a website about metal.

')