Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I LOVE IT. Excellent songwriting and very well paced. I love the way the album opens with that gripping vocal line and electronic riff. I'm really really digging Facepalm Mute, Scarlet, Ragnarok, The Gods Must Be Crazy!, Erised, and Mile Zero. Wes' solo was amazing, and of course Petrucci and Govan's? Marvelous. I loved all the riffs in The Gods. Excellently voiced chords throughout the whole song and perfect notes in the perfect spots. Spencer's vocals on Ragnarok, and Erised are mind blowing. He's improved so much it's difficult to make the connection from the S/T to this.

My only complaints however are in Ji, and Masamune. While I like both of these songs a lot, there's one thing about each that really bug me. In Ji, the transition from the verse riffs to the chorus sound kind of sloppy. It just sort of goes to the chorus, it doesn't exactly feel like a real transition. Maybe I just need to listen to it more though.

On Masamune, the way it ends (and the whole album) really bugs me. I'm as much a fan of sweet brutal riffs as the next guy on SSO but it just doesn't seem a great idea to end a Periphery album with. I was hoping for something so epic it would leave you completely breathless. Like on the S/T or Born Of Osiris' The Discovery, some crazy beautiful melodic ending that make you think "I NEED to listen to this album again. Right now." Instead, it was just the same riff repeated for like 2 minutes.

I know I'm just one guy on the internet and no one really cares about my opinion but I thought I'd put it out here for the fuck of it. Really though, I'm very very impressed with this album. Very good job, Misha. Extremely glad I pre-ordered it and I can't wait to see you guys at Slaughter here in Louisville.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The Gods, and Ibanezsam4, must be crazy.

i dunno man i thought the first album was complete and total ass. a bunch of songs that I knew were pretty great, horribly mixed with bad vocals to kill them extra dead. this new stuff doesn't even sound like the same band

Xplozive

Reaction score
If you couldnt recognize that last lick in the solo being petrucci's theres something wrong with you :p

This album is sounding amazing and still on my first listen, luck as a constant is my favourite so far.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
Bulb....No Misha, Jake, and Mark(Because you guys are the only ones on the Forum),

I just want to say that you've partially had a hand in completing my life. The first part was the album's completion....the second part.....

was HOW FUCKING SOOOOLLLIIIIDDDD you made "Luck as a Constant". I think just for that song alone they should include Periphery in the constellations. Just fucking add stars to the universe until it outlines your bands logo. And for the icing on the cake...Guthrie Govan rips through Space/Time (An object Created by it's Master, Mr.Fiddles, a Tabby with a top hat, Cane, Monocle and many astral abilities) and takes your brain through a short, but unbelievable, Destructive Lightning Hurricane.

The ONLY thing that could have POSSIBLY made this Album Better....is a solo by Marty Friedman. One of the only men to have captured my heart as a guitarist. And if i had to i would put him on "Froggin' Bullfish".

Other than that ONE thing...it's more than Perfect. you guys All did a great job. thank you for completing my life....

And now I just have to wait for Mr. Ortiz to Release his Upcoming Amazingness.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Holy shit! I'm only up to Facepalmute, but I am loving this! Way more than I was expecting. Sorta takes me by surprise :lol: Will be heading to the record store to grab this on the 3rd.

Sikthness

Reaction score
First listen through, sounds really good. This is going to need a lot more listens through to fully appreciate though, and definitely seems like an album best consumed in one sitting. Unfortunately, I've had a fuckin migraine all day, which is really hindering me from being fully engaged in the music. So ill have to show constraint and wait till tomorrow to give a proper listen. Oh and Luck as a Constant, Ragnarok, and the Gods Must be Crazy! is such a kick ass three song stretch.

Yaris

Beaver Sack #2
Reaction score
When Muramasa went into Have a Blast I bled anally.

BTW I preordered the album earlier this month.

piggins411

Reaction score
So much better than the first in my opinion. It just seemed more "together" and Spencer killed it this time around

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
I took the time to sit down an listen to the record in it's entirety and I am glad I did, because holy mary mother of fuck this album took me for a ride. I could sit here an try to pick out favorite tracks but I honestly can't.

You guys have outdone yourselves.:hbang:

Progfather

Reaction score
I'm not one to listen to albums before they arrive at my doorstep or before I purchase them on iTunes, but I couldn't resist listening to the streaming of the album. I must say that I am even more excited to hear this puppy in MP3 format. July 3rd couldn't come sooner.

Also, the production and mixing on this album is impeccable. You guys really brought your A-Game this time around. Although I love your first self-titled album to bits, it's good to hear a band gradually progress and evolve their sound. Bravo. Killer tones by the way! Spencer's vocals are fucking killer.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
At work, fist raised, horns up, head moving, entire office looking at me funny... don't care, have Periphery.

Fuck yes, boys. Fuck yes.

Latest posts

')