Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhew

Reaction score
Shit you guys. I'm in a constant state of semi arousal here reading all the gushing reviews and I'm totally jelly right now that you've all entered the next level and I'm still waiting. And you can say you listened to it before it was cool. Damn hipsters. Can't fuckin wait. Now I just gotta figure out how to make my commute 29 minutes longer haha.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
After my 6th or 7th listen today, I'm starting to warm up to the whole chorus in Ji and to the end of Masamune despite how much I wanted something like The Discovery, Periphery S/T, or Colors' endings.

The Gods Must Be Crazy! is definitely my favorite song. After waiting since January when the "Periphery Goes Here" video came out, I've been waiting to hear it, and it is just flawless. My favorite Periphery riffs ever are in this song. I love the chords and the slides and everything. It's just so good. The chorus is probably my favorite moment on the album, or at least in the top 5 best album moments.

Facepalm Mute is also another favorite. The chorus of that song is perfection. Amazingly done vocals with one of the absolute best chord progressions I think I've ever heard. The only complaint I have about this song is that I LOVED so much the melody Spencer did in the leaked demo version. It's in the line "Can you silence your opinion of what I'm about to SAY".

Other incredible highlights: The syncopated riff after the first chorus in Ji, Scarlet's vocal adaptation, brutal Ragnarok riffs, the first clean vocal line in Ragnarok, the opening to Masamune, the vocals in general in Erised, Luck As A Constant with vocals, and those solos, the opening to Mile Zero, Mile Zero's solo and other riffs in that song. And of course the guest solos!

Observation: Anyone notice a Coheed And Cambria influence on the vocals at some points? After the clean break in Luck, the way the vocals are arranged sounds very Coheed to me.

rgaRyan

Ermahgerd!
Reaction score
I hear a lot of Rody Walker in Spencer's cleans. I remember him saying he is influenced by him. The high runs and scratchy parts remind me of Rody.

Cynic

Bored Stiff
Reaction score
I hear a lot of Rody Walker in Spencer's cleans. I remember him saying he is influenced by him. The high runs and scratchy parts remind me of Rody.

brockwtf.png

Cheap Poison

Reaction score
Well i won't be adding much of value here, but..

This to me has been a huge leap from Periphery I. Impressive stuff. Now someone needs to watch out that this isn't one of those band defining albums were nothing ever will live up to it again.
Then again people are crazy.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
no offense, but I was 100% entirely and thoroughly disappointed with periphery's debut album after following bulb here for years

that said, this 100% entirely and thoroughly destroys the debut album. i'm digging this as much as i dug paradise lost years ago.

')