Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

NSXTypeZero

Reaction score
There's a good bit of bitching on the Periphery facebook page over the price of this pedal. Honestly, it seems to be par for the course in the boutique overdrive category.

Meh. Let them complain. If they can tell at all, Periphery and Misha in particular are what I'm sure we'd all affectionately call gear-heads, and I'd wager this item is up on par with all the tasty electronics they have.

And its worth remind critics that it's LIMITED EDITION and therefore, like signed custom vinyl releases that you can preorder for 50 bucks, which honestly arent 'worth the money' if you're looking at it just from a bottom line perspective... You're paying partially for exlusivity... In a few months, you wont be able to pay retail whether you'd like to or not, cause they'll be gone - So I think the complaining will naturally subside because of this soon anyway

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Meh. Let them complain. If they can tell at all, Periphery and Misha in particular are what I'm sure we'd all affectionately call gear-heads, and I'd wager this item is up on par with all the tasty electronics they have.

And its worth remind critics that it's LIMITED EDITION and therefore, like signed custom vinyl releases that you can preorder for 50 bucks, which honestly arent 'worth the money' if you're looking at it just from a bottom line perspective... You're paying partially for exlusivity... In a few months, you wont be able to pay retail whether you'd like to or not, cause they'll be gone - So I think the complaining will naturally subside because of this soon anyway

Quite a few preorders have sold already so the price seems to be right.
Also, yeah its a handmade boutique pedal, the original Deadhorse is only 10 bucks cheaper I believe, and the price was raised because of the reworked switch, and limited nature of the pedal. It's well priced for what it is, and it kills as an overdrive.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
That pedal looks really neat. Hopefully they keep the design for newer deadhorse models, so I can afford one new one day.

Reaction score
Id like to get one of these or just the original deadhorse. Is there really THAT much difference between them apart from the switch? I saw Merrow demoing one on youtube, seemed pretty crushing on its own really. Could Misha explain the specific differences between the pedal being that it's around 60 bucks more than the regular model can be found for around the net. Thanks ahead of time.

bulb

Reaction score
The clipping switch on the original pedal is a very subtle change in sound, so much so that to me it didn't really matter what position it was in. However I figured a mid boost/low cut switch would be much more "usable" for the context that I use the pedal in. So that is the main difference, well, that and the limited quantities haha.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Hey guys, I found out today that Matt Halpern is giving drum lessons on his European tour, and since I'm going to the show in Wiesbaden on the 5th, I really wanted to check it out. Has anybody been to one of his lessons? If so, what did you do, what was it like?

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
sweet mother of god that tone is bloody awesome!!! :bowdown:

I seriously need to spend some time with my rig and try to dial some new tones in! Everything I do sounds crap compared to your tone, Misha! :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I bought Periphery I/II on a whim since it was NATIONAL RECORD STORE DAY and they didn't have any of the stuff I went there looking for, and I'm pleasantly surprised by Periphery I. I guess everything I previously heard and didn't like was from II, I is loaded with memorable and catchy riffs and I like pretty much all of it. Besides that goddam announcer break. :lol:

/greatstory

I feel bad posting about a band when the members are posting on the same forum D:

bulb

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I bought Periphery I/II on a whim since it was NATIONAL RECORD STORE DAY and they didn't have any of the stuff I went there looking for, and I'm pleasantly surprised by Periphery I. I guess everything I previously heard and didn't like was from II, I is loaded with memorable and catchy riffs and I like pretty much all of it. Besides that goddam announcer break. :lol:

/greatstory

I feel bad posting about a band when the members are posting on the same forum D:

They are sorta different, but if you dig I, I would say give II a fair shot by listening to it from start to finish. In my opinion, both albums are growers, but that's not to say you will like it for sure, however they were both written and arranged to be best enjoyed as an album.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
They are sorta different, but if you dig I, I would say give II a fair shot by listening to it from start to finish. In my opinion, both albums are growers, but that's not to say you will like it for sure, however they were both written and arranged to be best enjoyed as an album.

What makes you say that? Just as someone who composed most of the stuff on I and a lot of it on II? Or maybe because of the longer song lengths like Racecar and all?

Both albums hit me really just right the first time listening to them but I do agree that certain tracks or sections on the album take some time to digest and really understand.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
The thing I find interesting is that PI flows so much better as a whole album, despite the variety of songs. For some reason I had trouble listening to PII all the way through for the longest time. I think it just reaches a point of "information overload"

')