Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Lianoroto

Reaction score
What pickups are Mark using in that guitar? Am I a dumbass or are those the Black Hawks?

Pair of D-Activators, or a DA bridge and Dominion neck. I would guess, based on his recent six-string NGD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Pair of D-Activators, or a DA bridge and Dominion neck. I would guess, based on his recent six-string NGD.

That's on his JPX, he switched out the JP12-7's pickups recently from the Blackhawks. Looks like either a Crunchlab or a D-Sonic, wouldn't know which ones without him telling us though.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about his NGD. I wonder why he stopped using the BKP's.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Different sounds for different guitars?

That and BKP's aren't the be all end all pickups, they have a nice range but each brand has their own unique set of sounds which I like. Combine that with preference and that's what I'd say.

Just like how Willie Adler uses Seymour Duncan and Mark Morton uses Dimarzio in their respective guitars. Different strokes.

bulb

Reaction score
Petruccis are notoriously difficult to wire, and bkps can be tricky, I don't think those Blackhawks were ever installed correctly, sounded like split coil in the bridge position, mark decided to just put dimarzios back in and they sound good in the guitar!

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Petruccis are notoriously difficult to wire, and bkps can be tricky, I don't think those Blackhawks were ever installed correctly, sounded like split coil in the bridge position, mark decided to just put dimarzios back in and they sound good in the guitar!

I had the exact same issue with a Blackhawk in my Carvin 7 string, it sounded halfway to being a humbucker but still bright like a single coil when it wasn't split. Glad I'm not alone with that :wallbash:

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Hm, that's interesting. I've been debating whether to get a JP12 or a custom shop guitar when it's time for me to buy a high-end, but I might as well get a Skervesen or Blackat and put Aftermaths in it then.

ohgodohgodohgodmishatalkedtome

TripperJ

Reaction score
I saw Periphery last night, and they ....ing rocked. I don't think I've seen any other band that has that much fun on stage, wail staying incredibly tight (even when someone pulled the wireless jack out of Misha's guitar). Just watching Misha's on stage antics was a treat in it self. I can't wait until I see them again.

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
I saw Periphery last night, and they ....ing rocked. I don't think I've seen any other band that has that much fun on stage, wail staying incredibly tight (even when someone pulled the wireless jack out of Misha's guitar). Just watching Misha's on stage antics was a treat in it self. I can't wait until I see them again.

I am pretty convinced that many of the Periphery-bashers out there might change their tune if they saw Periphery in a live context. Having fun, smiles spread across their faces, alternating between beauty and crushing rhythmic brutality...that's what Periphery is all about, and they have put on some of the best shows I've been to.

russtolium

Reaction score
I was at the Fillmore Friday night and finally got to see the band play live for the first time since I started listening and I was not disappointed. Best damn show of the night. In the middle of the set I saw someone slowly coming toward me through the crowd and turns out it was Misha patiently creeping around while playing like a wandering minstrel. Such silly geese you fellas are.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I am pretty convinced that many of the Periphery-bashers out there might change their tune if they saw Periphery in a live context. Having fun, smiles spread across their faces, alternating between beauty and crushing rhythmic brutality...that's what Periphery is all about, and they have put on some of the best shows I've been to.

This. The reason I got into Periphery in the first place was I went to go see a favorite band of mine, Protest the Hero, and Periphery literally stole the show with how good they are live. I will never miss the opportunity to see them if I can :agreed:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Hey guys in the old video where periphery show their rigs () what is controlling all their pedals and amps? In the video I couldn't hear it.

Cheers, Sam.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Hey guys in the old video where periphery show their rigs () what is controlling all their pedals and amps? In the video I couldn't hear it.

Cheers, Sam.

their axe-fx patches are changed via midi sent from a laptop :yesway:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Hey guys in the old video where periphery show their rigs (video) what is controlling all their pedals and amps? In the video I couldn't hear it.

Cheers, Sam.

Jake is using a TC Electronic G system, which houses all of his effects (delay, chorus, etc.) and sends relay signals to the Recto head to change channels.

Misha and Alex are using Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro's to control their TC G Majors for effects and the channels on their ENGL's.

Of course, now they've got the laptop midi change thing going on, but yeah haha

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Jake is using a TC Electronic G system, which houses all of his effects (delay, chorus, etc.) and sends relay signals to the Recto head to change channels.

Misha and Alex are using Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro's to control their TC G Majors for effects and the channels on their ENGL's.

Of course, now they've got the laptop midi change thing going on, but yeah haha

Cool, I didn't know the G-major could control pedals about 8 pedals.

MyxHarnett

Music :D
Reaction score
This. The reason I got into Periphery in the first place was I went to go see a favorite band of mine, Protest the Hero, and Periphery literally stole the show with how good they are live. I will never miss the opportunity to see them if I can :agreed:
Even though they were only able to play 4 songs at the Knoxville Slaughter date (tech issues), they were still the funnest/craziest show that night other than Dillinger. Absolutely amazing.

jjfiegel

Reaction score
Man I saw them at the Fillmore a few nights back. Crazy. Somehow, they get better every time. I don't know what Spencer's practice regiment is but man does it get godly results.

Hey Misha, if you see this, can you tell me why Paul Waggoner was at the show? Seems pretty far away for him.

')