Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Spencer and tom sound quite a bit alike. Great track, really gets you going!

Xanithon

Headbobbing Galore
Reaction score

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
I just got the instrumental album and WOW its way better IMO. The intricacies of the music are much more apparent. I feel like I missed out on a lot because of the vocals. That amazing guitar tone also sticks out a lot more :)

boni

Reaction score
I just got the instrumental album and WOW its way better IMO. The intricacies of the music are much more apparent. I feel like I missed out on a lot because of the vocals. That amazing guitar tone also sticks out a lot more :)

Thats because the vocals use too much vibrato. He is an amazing singer, but as many emo singers, he uses too much vibrato at the end of each vocal line (that annoying quality of over expressionism of every emo singer).

That makes the whole atonal quality and poly-rhythmic quality of the guitars/bass/drums disappear a little bit, behind the tonal center that the vocal is trying to establish every time. It works some times, creating tension and release qualities. I enjoyed Chris vocals more. That's why I skip many tracks in the album. That's how my brain views it.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Emo singer? Since when is someone an emo singer because they do a bit of cleans? Its just his voice, and he has a good one. I haven't seen Spencer wearing uber skinny jeans, eye shadow and playing scene music. Because thats what emo is.

boni

Reaction score
Emo singer? Since when is someone an emo singer because they do a bit of cleans? Its just his voice, and he has a good one. I haven't seen Spencer wearing uber skinny jeans, eye shadow and playing scene music. Because thats what emo is.

1) Read my last post again.

2) Spencer's vocals are emo-like. Thats how my brain classifies it, thats the word I use.. Clean vocals, with the specific tonal character and spectral envelope (coloration) that many emocore vocals have, abusing vibrato at the end of each vocal line (sometimes causing an over expressionistic effect that can be sometimes labeled as "whiney vocals"), ergo emo. And hey, I like his vocals in a couple of songs. So my subjective perception is not at all destructive or negative.

Thats how I view it, thats the word that I think its appropriate. It's subjective: ergo it shouldn't be controversial, because I'm not saying he is not skilled. Probably he is the most skilled Periphery vocal in terms of vocal range.

You can still call simply clean vocals. It's subjective, it's a matter of large semantic fields, meanings. And yet all the vocal descriptions above can still overlap with the description of many others emocore vocalists.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
1) Read my last post again.

2) Spencer's vocals are emo-like. Thats how my brain classifies it, thats the word I use.. Clean vocals, with the specific tonal character and spectral envelope (coloration) that many emocore vocals have, abusing vibrato at the end of each vocal line (sometimes causing an over expressionistic effect that can be sometimes labeled as "whiney vocals"), ergo emo. And hey, I like his vocals in a couple of songs. So my subjective perception is not at all destructive or negative.

Thats how I view it, thats the word that I think its appropriate. It's subjective: ergo it shouldn't be controversial, because I'm not saying he is not skilled. Probably he is the most skilled Periphery vocal in terms of vocal range.

You can still call simply clean vocals. It's subjective, it's a matter of large semantic fields, meanings. And yet all the vocal descriptions above can still overlap with the description of many others emocore vocalists.

Fair enough man when I read your post the first time it didn't come across like what you said. It seemed like you were sraight out calling him an emo singer instead of comparing him to one.

I can see what you mean by comparing his style to that of a some 'emo' vocalists though, he does have a similar style (just the lyrics are better as well as the music imo).

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
Thats because the vocals use too much vibrato. He is an amazing singer, but as many emo singers, he uses too much vibrato at the end of each vocal line (that annoying quality of over expressionism of every emo singer).

That makes the whole atonal quality and poly-rhythmic quality of the guitars/bass/drums disappear a little bit, behind the tonal center that the vocal is trying to establish every time. It works some times, creating tension and release qualities. I enjoyed Chris vocals more. That's why I skip many tracks in the album. That's how my brain views it.

On the album there aren't many moments when Spencer uses Vibrato....I'm pretty sure he can only squeeze out those notes because he is tensing his throat and vocal chords to make him sing straight tone, which is what most pop singers do. Not to pull a power trip, but I'm a vocal instructor....Please give me an example of a line where the end has too much vibrato....I have yet to think of a SINGLE part.....

IMO, the "emo" sound comes from the whiney, bright tone, actual timbre of the vocal mechanism from squeezing the vocal chords so hard, which is most likely why he was sore at some of the concerts. It's not the vibrato.....Vibrato will actually SAVE your career. It's the straight tone that kills careers. This is why opera singers can sing until they are OLD OLD OLD.

Maybe what you are referring to is sliding the pitch at the end of the lines?

Steve08

Reaction score
I don't like Spencer much though his screams have gotten a bit better. But it's like Periphery almost don't know when to have vocals or when not to. In songs like Icarus Lives or parts of The Walk I can understand, but they ruin the instrumental excellence of things like Totla Mad or Zyglrox IMO...

He does sound more like a generic emo/core singer rather than a proper metal one, though.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I don't like Spencer much though his screams have gotten a bit better. But it's like Periphery almost don't know when to have vocals or when not to. In songs like Icarus Lives or parts of The Walk I can understand, but they ruin the instrumental excellence of things like Totla Mad or Zyglrox IMO...

He does sound more like a generic emo/core singer rather than a proper metal one, though.

Aye but I think their choice of getting a competent clean singer for this kind of music works really well than if you just got your real metal singer. It adds a different flavour to it.

I saw a live video of Spencer and his vocals actually seemed better in it, especially his screams.

Forresterc

Reaction score
On the album there aren't many moments when Chris uses Vibrato....I'm pretty sure he can only squeeze out those notes because he is tensing his throat and vocal chords to make him sing straight tone, which is what most pop singers do. Not to pull a power trip, but I'm a vocal instructor....Please give me an example of a line where the end has too much vibrato....I have yet to think of a SINGLE part.....

IMO, the "emo" sound comes from the whiney, bright tone, actual timbre of the vocal mechanism from squeezing the vocal chords so hard, which is most likely why he was sore at some of the concerts. It's not the vibrato.....Vibrato will actually SAVE your career. It's the straight tone that kills careers. This is why opera singers can sing until they are OLD OLD OLD.

Maybe what you are referring to is sliding the pitch at the end of the lines?

Ya, i hear little vibrato in Spencer's voice, and i don't hear it at the end of any lines. And for god sakes, everyone stop referring to the singing style as "emo".

Firstly, i don't find Spencer to have to whiny high school scene band sound in his voice. AT ALL. Neither does he sound like an emo screamer to me. He has a bright timbre to his voice, and y'all wanna crucify him for it.

and secondly, "emo" is a horrible term to describe anything outside of actual emo music and scene kids. It just makes u sound closed minded and unable to accurately describe what u dislike about him.

Third, it's cool if u prefer Chris, or Casey, but frankly i think y'all just got spoiled. If Spencer came first y'all would probably not even mind him.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aye but I think their choice of getting a competent clean singer for this kind of music works really well than if you just got your real metal singer. It adds a different flavour to it.

Heh. In my mind, a "real metal singer" *is* a clean-to-slightly-gritty vocalist with a powerful voice, a la classics like Dickenson or Dio, or someone newer like Tim Aymar. Apparently, I'm in the minority about that, but that how I read it. Compared to someone like that, Spencer's high notes are very thin and whiny.

')