Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Lepinkäinen

Reaction score
Saw them at Helsinki this tour. Does is not bother you guys that they perform without a bass player?

There's always been a lot of backing track stuff, but to me this is pushing things towards eurovision feeling.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaff

Reaction score
^Was at the same show and no, it doesn't bother me. Nowadays I'm more and more open to backing tracks, especially since now there are a lot of talent available to explore due to the fact that not everyone needs a whole band to make music and perform.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Lepinkäinen;4745712 said:
Saw them at Helsinki this tour. Does is not bother you guys that they perform without a bass player?

There's always been a lot of backing track stuff, but to me this pushing things towards eurovision feeling.

Personally it wouldn't bother me as it's still the three guitarists playing guitar, still Matt drumming and still Spencer singing live.

That being said I am a little spoiled as I was lucky enough to see them in London last weekend with Nolly playing.

bulb

Reaction score
It was awesome being able to play with Nolly in London of course, but honestly we are so used to having the tracks he prepared for us in our ears, and we have our set and live mix dialed in with his tracks. There was a point in time where we weren't sure what we were gonna do, but after a tour with the tracks the whole band was sold on it, and Nolly was quite relieved to find that him not touring with us didn't screw us over!

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score

There's always been a lot of backing track stuff, but to me this pushing things towards eurovision feeling.
Not really, replacing a bassist like Nolly isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. His tone and playing style is in a whole different league.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Not really, replacing a bassist like Nolly isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. His tone and playing style is in a whole different league.

Not to say he's a bad bassist but getting his sound isn't too hard since he makes it pretty obvious what he uses.

And as far as playing ability I can't recall anything that a good trained bassist would have troubles doing.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
There's always been a lot of backing track stuff, but to me this is pushing things towards eurovision feeling.

Yea, and not even making up for it with butter-churning Polish girls!

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up to any Periphery vinyl collectors out there- Pretty much all of the blue & white splatter copies of the recent P1 pressing have a defective A/B disc. I received two that have pits in the surface caused by some sort of strange white paint (a different shade from the white in the splatter). Apparently there have also been a lot of issues with warping. District Lines is aware of of it & worked to find the best copy they could for me, still kind of a bummer that this is such a wide spread issue though :-(

Last edited:

MrYakob

Reaction score
Just a quick heads up to any Periphery vinyl collectors out there- Pretty much all of the blue & white splatter copies of the recent P1 pressing have a defective A/B disc. I received two that have pits in the surface caused by some sort of strange white paint (a different shade from the white in the splatter). Apparently there have also been a lot of issues with warping. District Lines is aware of of it & worked to find the best copy they could for me, still kind of a bummer that this is such a wide spread issue though :-(

Damn that sucks to hear :(

I accidentally ordered what I though was the splatter P1 vinyl but was actually a different pressing from the Summerian store and was really bummed at the time, I guess maybe that's more of a blessing in disguise now

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Damn that sucks to hear :(

I accidentally ordered what I though was the splatter P1 vinyl but was actually a different pressing from the Summerian store and was really bummed at the time, I guess maybe that's more of a blessing in disguise now

Blessing in disguise for sure. I actually had the red/white haze variant ordered, then saw that the splatter was released & cancelled my order for the red/white version :-( Luckily District Lines is doing what they can & including a copy of the opaque red variant (being released tomorrow on Amazon) that plays back perfectly, at no extra charge. So, I guess I'll have one to look at and one to listen to lol. Just need to find one of those original pressings at a not ridiculous price!!

Reaction score
Blessing in disguise for sure. I actually had the red/white haze variant ordered, then saw that the splatter was released & cancelled my order for the red/white version :-( Luckily District Lines is doing what they can & including a copy of the opaque red variant (being released tomorrow on Amazon) that plays back perfectly, at no extra charge. So, I guess I'll have one to look at and one to listen to lol. Just need to find one of those original pressings at a not ridiculous price!!
i think i may have an original, got it from a guy who didn't know what periphery was, about 6 years ago.

Reaction score
i think i may have an original, got it from a guy who didn't know what periphery was, about 6 years ago.
holy poop i didn't know that originals went for 200 bucks now. that's gonna stay on my rack for a few more years for sure.

bulb

Reaction score
We are definitely sad to see Nolly go, but we knew this was coming. We have always had a mantra that states that you should never feel forced to be in the band, you should only do it if it makes you happy. It stopped making Nolly happy, and it's honestly quite as simple as that. He is still one of my best friends ever, and obviously we still work together constantly on GGD and chat all the time, so in some ways things aren't changing that much for us.

To address the backing tracks for bass:
The backing tracks have been working out extremely well for us, especially since Nolly prepares them, and it has only made our live sound better and more consistent. I know our FOH absolutely loves them for our live sound. On top of this, and this is probably something not a lot of people realize, we have a good and healthy dynamic and relationship as a band that took many years to develop and refine. Finding someone else who not only has a sound that would actively make us sound better than the tracks Nolly provides, but who also gels with us on stage, on tour, in the studio and has good writing chemistry with us is an incredibly tall order and just frankly something we aren't interested in exploring.

SDMFVan

Reaction score
Just my $.02, and obviously you guys have found something that you feel works for you, but I think backing tracks at concerts suck. You could just pop the CD in and your live sound would be "better and more consistent", but that isn't what makes live music special.

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
I think bulb has a good point. Not that it would be impossible to find someone like Nolly to play bass, if it is not a priority to fill the seat and it sounds like in a live sense, it isn't - then who cares.

Live shows nowadays have just as many backing tracks as they do guys on the stage, so this isn't anything new.

')